It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Karzai: Afghan youth to lead as US troops go....or not?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
news.yahoo.com...

KABUL, Afghanistan – Afghan President Hamid Karzai said Thursday his nation's youth will stand up and defend the country as the U.S. begins to pull troops out, while the Taliban promised to fight as long as foreign soldiers remain there.

Sweet! The Afghan youth will be the ones fighting now! How in the world could this ever be a bad idea?

Oh yes, I forgot about the taliban part

Unemployment Pushes Afghanistan Youth to the Taliban

For many of Afghanistan's youth, the only way out of poverty is through the Taliban or in the poppy and opium trade in the country's southern region. "I couldn't find a job anywhere," he said. "So I had to join the Taliban. They give me money for my family expenditures. If I left the Taliban, what else could I do?" said 19 year old Jaan Agha. "I couldn't find a job anywhere, so I had to join the Taliban. They give me money for my family expenditures. If I left the Taleban, what else could I do?"

Ummm....Well that article is from 2007, lets see if there is anything more recent.

Unemployment forces Afghan youth to trek dangerous routes

Unemployment is about 35 per cent across the country, but in the cities, where there is a constant flood of migrants, finding a job is even harder.

KABUL: High unemployment and deteriorating security is forcing hundreds of Afghan youths to risk an often perilous journey with ruthless smugglers in the search of a better life.

That article is from 2010.

Anyone else seeing this as looking bad already?

Afghanistan President Hamid Karzai To Step Down In 2014

In breaking news, Defense Secretary Robert Gates announced today that Hamid Karzai intends to step down as Afghanistan's president in 2014.

According to Reuters, Gates told a Senate panel on Wednesday that Karzai is required to step down by Afghanistan's constitution and he will not attempt to change any rules to help him stay in office

So the youth will lead Afghanistan while Karzai and the US leave.....anyone else see something wrong with this?
edit on 23-6-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

join