It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1976 Tribe on Papua New Guinea meets white man for the first time. BEST VIDEO IVE SEEN IN A LONG TIM

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
That was sketchy with the axes in hand during the initial meeting.
Glad everything worked out.
For some reason I think they've been in sight of people before if not contact
with other tribes or tribes that have been in contact with modern man.
Possibly connection by word.
The cowry shells are a sign of trade and wealth in some tribes like in the congo.
The looks on their faces amazed with discovery and awkward unknown feeling.
Very thought provoking footage.
The main contact from the tribe which I would think would be their leader or main representative with the bone through his nose, the younger of the 2 of this appearance had eyes of amazement almost like he was tripping.
well worth the watch S&F

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:08 PM
link   
Very awesome video.

But I wonder what happened to those people... ya know, whether their way of life was tainted by the exposure to technology or whether they just returned to their normal lives after the encounter.

I bet humanity as a whole will react somewhat similarly when/if we are ever contacted by extra terrestrials.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by miniatus

I was thinking why they were doing it as well. They did it for the tape recorder so it seems to me like an exclamation of some sort that can fit a variety of situations. Kinda like their version of "WOW"

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DisturbedToo

Great video! One of the most deserved S&Fs I've posted in quite some time. I don't know why but this video gives you a good feeling inside just watching it. It's amazing how under developed some parts of the world are even in this day and time.
edit on 22-6-2011 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
It reminds me of the movie, "The Gods must be Crazy" And that part when the Bushman finds that coke bottle and he takes it back to his village and in the end the tribe just fight each over the Coke bottle. I reckon that is probably what happened to this tribe further down the track.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Star and flag! That was one of the most amazing and touching videos I've ever seen posted on ATS. The looks on their faces really says it all! Good music too.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flatfish

Great video! One of the most deserved S&Fs I've posted in quite some time. I don't know why but this video gives you a good feeling inside just watching it. It's amazing how under developed some parts of the world are even in this day and time.
edit on 22-6-2011 by Flatfish because: (no reason given)

It does give you a great feeling! it almost gives you a sense of hope in this war riddled world in which we live. Thank you and everyone who posted their input!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Awesome video buddy and thanks for the share.

Why do people always take our culture being introduced as a bad thing? If anything that tribe would think of those white people as "gods". How they harnessed the power of fire would be amazing enough alone. I would be more than pleased to met aliens with advanced enough technology to leave me in that much amazement, let alone it would be a problem down the line.

That is probably what happened in a lot of ancient cultures, they met another more advanced cilivization for a brief period and then idolized them. If, as the people were in the video, peaceful, then no harm could be done. If they were violent then I understand, but the encounter was a good one that ended in smiles.

I'm happy when I see things like this.

Pred...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Amazing video, thanks for sharing.

I fear we'll never see footage like this again in the coming years, sadly.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Great Video. I would love to see a documentary on this tribe today. Do they still exist or have we bombed them by now? This video should be shown to all instead of the garbage they spew at us on MSM these days.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Best thing I have seen since I joined here. Thanks for the video. The reactions of those people made me smile. It definately makes you wonder what stories they tell about that encounter

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
i was liking it until the end where he recorded his song and played it back for him. i could see how blown away he was. and for some reason i felt sad. i would like to see a 35 year update though. i wonder what oral stories were passed down and also if the tribe had a hard time afterwards.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

i watched this earlier but i did not comment, it made me feel something but i could not put my finger on it, i got the wow factor, but there was something sad about it, and then i understood what it was, we lost our humanity and true nature, the tribal community emerges from the forest their prime concern and thoughts are eachother, food for all, shelter for all, they meet a man from the civilised world who come bearing possesions to try and impress them, because that is what is valued in our world.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I rarely S&F posts. In fact this is probably only the second or third time that I have. Thanks for sharing.
Some things I noticed:
* They were afraid to even touch the white man at first
* They kept examining his muscles, I wonder if they were thinking about eating him?

* They definitely seemed to find it odd that his skin was white, and his hair was different from theirs.
* They were both afraid of and fascinated by simple things like mirrors, cups, and knives, and of course the tape recorder.
* I think in their language hitting your head means "Mmmm this is good", they sure liked the rice!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Pure unadultered human emotion is the only way I could explain the video. Our true biological nature showing itself without the programming/idoctrination we undergo nowadays. I couldn't help my mind from transporting back in time and witnessing what it might have been like for early cultures to come into contact with a more developed one. That was an absolute treat to watch. Thank you OP for the post.

S&F

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Well, you always hear about it in school as a kid, but you never get a chance to actually see it..
That was as interesting to me as it was to them, and even though I watched the video on mute, for a few minutes at least, I forgot the world was a crap hole. that in itself is worth a star and flag.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Definately one of the most amazing videos I have ever seen. I hope there are some untouched parts of the world left. I wonder what this tribe is like today and what they thought when they went back to their daily lives after meeting the strangers. I love their reaction which is how anyone would react to something unknown it almost brought a tear to my eye. Just human beings meeting one another one tribe to another, sharing their tools. I wonder if anyone learnt their language?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by lifeform11

I wouldn't say he was trying to 'impress' them. As i don't think were impressed as such, more confused about it and eventually joyful. It must have been an amazing for all involved on both sides. I think he was showing them some common objects that have been on our culture a long time like mirrors and matches even the ability to record sound is now over a centurary old.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:43 AM
link   
I saw this clip about a year or so ago in a documentary series by Jean Pierre Dutilleux called "Tribal Journeys: First Contact". The tribe these people belong to are called the Toulambi, who were actually first contacted in 1993 (except for some isolated families).

It is highly unlikely that the footage was from 1976. It seems that was rather the time when Dutilleux began his career as an anthropological "activist" with tribes in the Amazon, and he claims to have documented over 50 others.
Some see his activities as exploitative and potentially destructive, but he claims he brings medicine and brings a better contact than frontier society might offer.

Others might consider him a self-serving and careless fool, who says hi and bye to tribal peoples for his lucrative film and photo collections.
He was however highlighted in the 1980's, when he claimed to save Amazonian tribal lands with pop musician Sting. He photographed Sting as a proto-Bono in the Amazon, and their 60-day global tour with Kayapo chief Roani.
Whether deserved or not, he takes some credit for the eventual Kayapo reservation.

Since one only has Ditelleux's own biography to go by, and one hits a dead end with other searches, clear dating and facts are difficult to establish.
The footage stems from after 1993, and was probably shot towards the early 2000's.

This is what it says on his website, in a very contradictory narrative:

For centuries the hill tribes of the Owen Ranmge in Papua, New Guinea have lived in isolation to avoid war. In a landscape of dense tropical rainforests each tribe stays within a well established territory. This explains why some of them have survived into the new millennium without any contact with the outside world.
Others previously known have left their villages to move deeper in the forest to escape conflicts or the religious zeal of evangelical preachers only to be rediscovered and labeled as lost tribes. European explorers first encountered the Toulambi in 1993.

They were almost entirely decimated by malaria. Modern medicine helped to stop the ravages of the disease. They didn't believe white men existed but if they did, they must be the 'living dead.'
Taking a lot of care with their appearance, the Toulambi men wear a bird from the Cassowary bird through the nose, large necklaces of river shells and bird of paradise feathers in their hair. They must look their best to attract a mate and reproduce. They are hunters and gatherers. The entire tribe moves in uncanny silence for fear of alerting the game. They know the migration trails of animals and the best time of year to find fish, the growing cycles of the palms, bamboo, wild fruits and the roots they rely on. Always on the move. The rhythm of their lives is that of the jungle. It gives them no time to create complex art, to develop science or conceive profound metaphysical philosophies.

www.jpdutilleux.com...

edit on 23-6-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   

What a wonderful video, thanks for sharing

Never before has the quote...

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

...been so evident.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join