It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Beautiful Lessons Found in our Favorite Hymns and Gospel Music

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I've been coming down from a high stress period in life and my mind turned to thinking about my favorite Christian music and the spiritual lessons that can be learned from their message and lyrics.

One of my all time favorites is the following. The version that tells the backstory:

The full version with lyrics:

The story behind the song is heartbreaking. The author wrote it after a series of tragedies struck his life. He lost his life savings in a fire, his only son died of illness, and he lost his four daughters in a shipwreck.

In real life I'm a pretty big pessimist who loves to complain and envision the glass as half empty. However, this hymn has a beautiful message (not to mention beautiful music).

This life really is temporary and all the trials that seem so huge are nothing but an insignificant grain of sand. Especially with the promise given to us of eternal life and a Savior who carries our burdens for us.

Or as a segment from the lyrics: 'Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more, Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!

It can seem impossible to 'Look Up' when we're so busy looking down so the song is so encouraging and the author's view inspiring to be at peace even when faced with loss and tribulations.

Does anyone feel like sharing their favorite hymns they feel inspired by and what spiritual messages can be learned from them?
edit on 6/22/2011 by AshleyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Amazing Grace sung very gracefully by Joan Baez.

I liked your video.

Hope my video link works, because I do not know quite how to post videos.

ps. yea! successfully uploaded my first vid. Strange, the first song I ever learned on the guitar was Amazing Grace!!!

edit on 22-6-2011 by Revolution9 because: trying to get vid link to work

edit on 22-6-2011 by Revolution9 because: addition

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
Amazing Grace is my favorite:

"When we've been here ten thousand years...
bright shining as the sun.
We've no less days to sing God's praise...
then when we've first begun."

Take that Harold Camping.
edit on 22-6-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: add

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Very cool.
I love that song and it isn't visible in my posts due to the mod tag but it is visible in my member profile. The tagline beneath my user name is 'a wretch brought into the light' and it is a reference to the line from Amazing Grace.

I once read that other religions require mankind to reach God in some form of another (via works, rituals, enlightenment, etc.) but Christianity is where God reaches down to us and us simple people are saved through the gift of grace.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

You're very cool indeed!

I'm so glad there is someone like you there playing your part in ATS.

This is about the only place I feel anything like comfortable sharing my thoughts.

I said in a post before ATS is providing a great world community service in its own very unique way.

Very best wishes to you and your colleagues here!
Mike.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Although this is more 'Christmasy' I LOVE this one:

In the Bible we're told all of nature cries out to be restored to it's original intent that was destroyed during the fall. That coincides with the lyrics of Oh Holy Night and the Messiah's birth is compared to a bright breaking morning light:

Long lay the world in sin and error pining.
Till He appeared and the Spirit felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.

Although not in the Messianic age just yet, Jesus did bring in a new era of grace. I think of that one 'Holy Night' and how all of heaven and earth would be rejoicing at His coming.

Love the imagery the following song conveys:

Just to spend time with Jesus face to face. Holding His hand, hearing His voice, in a solid physical presence.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Fire Fall Down

Cause I know that you're alive
You came to fix my broken life
And I'll sing to glorify
Your Holy name, Jesus Christ

You bought my life with the blood
That you shed on the cross
When you died for the sins of men
And you let out a cry, crucified
Now alive in me

These hands are yours
Teach them to serve
As you please and I'll reach out
Desperate to see all the greatness of God
May my soul rest assured in you

I'll never be the same
No I'll never be the same
Cause I know that you're alive
You came to fix my broken life
And I'll sing to glorify
Your Holy name, Jesus Christ

You've changed it all
You broke down the wall
When I spoke and confessed
In you I am blessed
Now I walk in the light
In victorious sight of you

Fire fall down
Fire fall down
On us we pray
As we seek
Fire fall down
Your fire fall down
On us we pray

Show me your heart
Show me your way
Show me your glory

This song always brings tears to my eyes even after hearing it for the 1,000th time. So beautiful and it captures the salvation message so perfectly. I think of my condition and need and despite my trash and filth he reached out to lead me to Him by his scarred hand.

I can't feel sorrow for any situation I have after hearing this song.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

That's a great song, NuT!

I had a hard time understanding what words he was singing so if it helps anyone I found a version with lyrics:

www.youtube.com...

That was a good contemporary song- and I'm usually a fan mostly of songs composed around the 19th century.

Here is one from one of my favorite modern musicians (the late Keith Green):

That song gives me goosebumps.

In the constant struggle against sin, temptation, worldliness, hate, and resentment, this song is a constant prayer I have in my heart that God restores my spirit and gives me a clean heart.

Based off Psalm 51:10-12.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Thank you so much for this thread it made me smile..I love gospel music when im down and feeling sad i listen to this song and it always makes my day brighter..S&F

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Honorable mentions:

The Stand

"So I'll stand
With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One who gave it all

So I'll stand
My soul Lord to You surrendered
All I am is Yours"

From The Inside Out

"A thousand times I've failed
Still your mercy remains
And should I stumble again
Still I'm caught in your grace"

Mighty To Save

"Savior
He can move the mountains
My God is mighty to save
He is mighty to save
Forever
Author of Salvation
He rose & conquered the grave
Jesus conquered the grave"

Can you guess who my favorite praise and worship group is yet? lol Seriously, anything that captures my feelings of adoration and praise for Jesus and what He did for me is a song that blesses me.

edit on 22-6-2011 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by sugarcookie1

Very sweet song. I love the delicate piano music. It almost reminds me of a music box.

And I am glad this thread made you smile! We all need a little pick-me-up from time to time and I was hoping this would help bring us some tranquility in these pretty rough times.

Does anyone remember this song? I remember they used to play it at the roller rink on Christian music night and we'd be jamming out to Jesus while on roller skates.

It might sound cheesy but this song always makes me smile and just sounds so upbeat. Can only find a small snippet instead of the full version:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Here's another by KG and it's the most awesome rendition of Psalms 23 I've ever heard. The way he hits the notes to the music is breathtaking.

Like a comment says on the YT link, I'm sure Keith and David are up in Heaven right now jamming out together with the Psalms.

I deleted my old MATS video ages ago that had the entire passage broken down but my stepfather sent me an email that had a revelatory interpretation of 23 and how each segment of the passage had a spiritual principle and promise behind it.

Never looked at Psalms 23 that way until he forwarded that email to me.

The Lord is my Shepherd ----- That's Relationship!
I shall not want ----- That's Supply!
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures ---- That's Rest!
He leadeth me beside the still waters ----- That's Refreshment!
He restoreth my soul ----- That's Healing!
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness ----- That's Guidance!
For His name sake ----- That's Purpose!
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death ----- That's Testing!
I will fear no evil ----- That's Protection!
For Thou art with me ----- That's Faithfulness!
Thy rod and Thy staff they comfort me ----- That's Discipline!
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies ----- That's Hope!
Thou annointest my head with oil ----- That's Consecration!
My cup runneth over ----- That's Abundance!
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life ---- That's Blessing!
And I will dwell in the house of the Lord ----- That's Security!
Forever ----- That's Eternity!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Very cool.
I love that song and it isn't visible in my posts due to the mod tag but it is visible in my member profile. The tagline beneath my user name is 'a wretch brought into the light' and it is a reference to the line from Amazing Grace.

I once read that other religions require mankind to reach God in some form of another (via works, rituals, enlightenment, etc.) but Christianity is where God reaches down to us and us simple people are saved through the gift of grace.

Forgot to say S & F; thanks for this, it's nice to have something sweet and positive to contemplate on here.

I think I confuse a lot of people. I love honest people who actually try to live their faith; I just have trouble with those that think spouting it is a good enough substitute, or a way to make money / power.

While I am not certain about any codified religion being "it", I think a human could do a lot worse than trying to live as Jesus taught.

edit on 22-6-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: add

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

I just have trouble with those that think spouting it is a good enough substitute

Definitely agree with you there. As we are told, faith without works is dead. Although faith alone is what we need for salvation, Jesus told us that if we Love Him, we will follow His teachings in addition to believing in Him.

It reminds me of the song posted above based on Psalm 51. Create in me a clean heart, Oh God, and renew a right spirit within me. After the initial faith and belief, we need to be recreated as a new creature as well.

As for those who only use the faith for money or power, they will have to stand before God one day with an answer for their hypocrisy and dishonesty.

Thanks for stopping by with your thoughts!

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Jesus told us that if we Love Him, we will follow His teachings in addition to believing in Him.

Ah yes, John 14:15. We all become like whom we worship. And we all worship someone or something because we were created to worship. People think Paul and James had a different message, but it was the exact same message from two points of view. True faith will always produce works of worship.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I lost my daughter a year and a half ago. I'm never going to get over it and God knows I have so many unanswered questions. But I know he knows best and my loss is his gain Music is definately one of my coping mechanisms - I thank you Ashley for the sweet thread. Instead of focussing on the tragedy it'self, I prefer to wonder how she felt when she came into the presence of the man I always put on a pedastal whenver the opportunity arose.

My favorite - I can only imagine - Mercy Me

My Help - Jackie Gouche Farris (Not a great quality video but noone sings it quite like her

I'm a Kari Jobe fan - O the Blood (Gateway Worship)

Revelation Song - Kari Jobe (Gateway Worship)

edit on 22-6-2011 by Myrtales Instinct because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mydarkpassenger

I just have trouble with those that think spouting it is a good enough substitute, or a way to make money / power.

There will always be those who use and abuse. But the Lord warned they would come and not to be deceived by them. They are the wolves in sheep's clothing and that we'd know them by their fruits. Don't let the wolves discourage you, just mark them and stay away from them. But Christ and the apostles Peter and Paul warned in numerous places that there would be false prophets, wolves, and heretics to both devour the flock and provide a "trophy" for satan to parade to the world to convince them that's what true Christianity is even though these are not Christians to begin with.

Can't let the wolves discourage you.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:34 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

...and provide a "trophy" for satan to parade to the world to convince them that's what true Christianity is even though these are not Christians to begin with...

Wow! Thanks for sharing that. I learn something new every day. That sounds like an interesting passage. Do you by any chance have the verse handy? I'd love to see it.

reply to post by Myrtales Instinct

Oh, bless your heart. I am so sorry about your loss. Your post reminds me of what King David said after losing his newborn son: They cannot return to us but one day we will go to them.

*hugs*

And no joke- I almost posted that song earlier in this thread but figured I should probably not spam my own thread and give others a chance to post. lol But I often think about what our reactions will be when we first see Jesus face to face.

Will we be awestruck into silence? Will we be jumping around like hyper school children? lol

I was going to post the following song along with it. It's very energetic and happy. I remember my mother playing it after my xylophone teacher died (she was very close to my mother, who was devastated at her passing).

Some might think it's pretty silly because it's definitely one of those old 'down home country' style Gospel songs and nothing serious or contemporary but I think it's so cute:

edit on 6/22/2011 by AshleyD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Wow! Thanks for sharing that. I learn something new every day. That sounds like an interesting passage. Do you by any chance have the verse handy? I'd love to see it.

My post is kinda a conglomeration of many passages, which one specifically are you asking me about?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
An oldie but goodie, Carrie Underwood nails it!

"How Great Thou Art" from the Grand Ole Opry

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join