It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alcohol - who really needs it?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   
I confronted the drink issue 17 years ago when I started living with my wife - who doesn't drink. She never asked me to stop drinking, but I felt less and less inclined to bring home a bottle I couldn't share. I stopped drinking in our home and drank only when we went out with others.

Then I noticed I felt less and less like drinking when we went out. I stopped having more than a couple of drinks at each outing. That became my new pattern: two drinks when we went out with friends. I didn't want any more to drink than that.

As I drank less, I began to notice the number of bottles (wine and beer) our neighbours put out in their recycling each week. How could a household get through so many bottles a week? They would have to drink every night.

It began to occur to me that my fellow Australians tended to spend their evenings under the influence of alcohol.

When I joined Facebook, I caught up with some old friends - and became alarmed at the frequency with which they reported waking up with a bad head from the previous night's drinking.

Last year, after I was hospitalised for a couple of days due to a severe infection, I lost almost all desire for alcohol. I've had two drinks in the past nine months.

A few months back, I had reason to examine some statistics regarding cause of death in Australia. The number of deaths attributed to alcohol floored me. I asked myself why alcohol was still legal. The best answer I've found is that the boards of directors of the biggest corporations - including alcohol companies - decide policy.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I made the same discovery mate. I realised that I hadn't gone a single week without a drink for over 7 years and rarely longer than that in over 12 years. That's a real habit right there - unknown and under my nose.

I've taken months off from drinking and stopped drinking alone. When I'm overworked I binge drink and the health issues cause me to be more tired in the morning. I don't like being drunk but the first few drinks go down very well - too well to ignore.

I like alcohol but I've overused it. It's had me hooked (psychologically) from time to time and worst of all I've embarrassed myself way to much, many times. It's not a good crutch if you are nervous of making a bad show of things and you have to be in a good mood, (preferably in good company) for it to help ease you into a better mood.

Australia has issues with binge drinking as well as general stress.

I've seen too many reports and awful PC ads telling us that kids shouldn't drink. The worst recent one showing a young guy ask his dad if he could drink one beer. He really badly wanted it and left his dad with a dilemma.

This rubs me up the wrong way on a few levels.
First the kid must already be a drinker. That's partly just bad acting but he was already at the age he could be out drinking with his mates.
The second level is that dad might like to share a drink with his teenage son. I like that.
Third is that he should be taught to drink responsibly at a young age.
Most of all the ad does the opposite to promoting self control and good judgement. It simply damns anyone who will let alcohol touch a youth's lips. This includes having a wine at the dinner table - like some countries are apt to do - those places where binge drinking is rare.

I will never be able to accept gov't policies on social issues. They make it up as they go and every department is full of holes and bureaucracy that favours mediocre results and popularity above results; with departments that are a means to their own, which basically squander my taxes. I'm not against gov't policy but where social engineering is involved they have only ever made things worse. They want to attract votes and popularity means more than substance. Telling people how to live is clear evidence of wasteful redundancy.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
As mentiioned earlier I love a cold beer after a hard days at work in summer.

But I prefer my bourbon much more.

I probably have a glass or two (each glass usually has equivalent of 2 to 3 shots) most nights to wind down whilst watching a movie/show or on the PC.

I do try and have 2 or 3 days a week as "dry days", but I enjoy it and love the taste too much to give it up.

I have never been a "problem" drinker as in causing trouble when drunk. Those that do get violent when drunk shouldn't drink full stop.

Now Im not looking for an excuse to justify my drinking because Im not the "drunk-violent" type, and I know I should cut down on it to maybe weekends and not during the week aswell, but it's my poison and as mentioned I'm self controlling/self medicating my consumption.

I rarely get "drunk" these days thou technically I would be over the limit to drive most nights when I do drink.

I find the biggest thing stopping me from drinking these days is the price of alcohol.

If it kept going up I would stop pretty much completely except for special occassions or until I got my own home stihl up and running and producing my own bootleg moonshine.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   
reply to post by OMsk3ptic

True although alcohol has ruined more families than either meth or heroin. Alcohol is used by more people also which means more destroyed lives. Meth will screw you up the first few times or that is what I am told so yes it is more damaging to the user and their family. Herion is bad but no different than alcohol to an alcoholic. Far less Meth and Herion users although both are terrible for the individual. If enough people do them then yes they will destroy just as many families.

Why are they illegal is a good question that should be asked. If man want to destroy thenselves why does the gov have laws to restrict that especially when they have been busted for running the illegal drugs. The entire drug deal is a game.

I played their game over a decade. I paid the price but not the ultimate price.
edit on 22-6-2011 by Buford2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Anyone notice how President Obama is not shy about guzzling a few brews in photo ops? Those shots are not random.

I could be wrong, but I think he is the first modern day pres to advertise alcohol to the masses.

Is this off topic? I'm drinking an IPA right now, so I can't be sure.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Melbourne_Militia
As mentiioned earlier I love a cold beer after a hard days at work in summer.

But I prefer my bourbon much more.

I probably have a glass or two (each glass usually has equivalent of 2 to 3 shots) most nights to wind down whilst watching a movie/show or on the PC.

I do try and have 2 or 3 days a week as "dry days", but I enjoy it and love the taste too much to give it up.

I have never been a "problem" drinker as in causing trouble when drunk. Those that do get violent when drunk shouldn't drink full stop.

Now Im not looking for an excuse to justify my drinking because Im not the "drunk-violent" type, and I know I should cut down on it to maybe weekends and not during the week aswell, but it's my poison and as mentioned I'm self controlling/self medicating my consumption.

I rarely get "drunk" these days thou technically I would be over the limit to drive most nights when I do drink.

I find the biggest thing stopping me from drinking these days is the price of alcohol.

If it kept going up I would stop pretty much completely except for special occassions or until I got my own home stihl up and running and producing my own bootleg moonshine.

You are EXACTLY like me. I always have a bottle of Chivas ready when I get home, and I pour about 2 shots, and have 2 of these. This has been like religion for the last 5 years (before this was beer).

I didn't think I was doing any damage, but when I stopped (cold turkey), I experienced noticeable withdrawal symptoms - the main one being insomnia and night sweats (every 2 hours, waking up soaking wet ... and it's middle of winter here, so it's not like it's hot in the bedroom).

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I quit 37 years ago and don't miss it one bit . Hard to quit and i failed several times but i kept on quitting . I'm now 58 years old and have 74 countries stamped in my passports , great vacations on money i would have spent on alcohol . A big suprise for me was finding out just how many very nice high end women drink very little or none at all . My social life is great and has been for about 36 of the 37 years . I've been to Machu Piccu , Kilimanjaro , Angel Falls and Ayers Rock along with Wrangel Island just to name a few . How many talk or cry about not having proper health care while they spend $600.00 per month on booze and dope ? They cry because they don't have a newer car or a motorcycle while they spend the monthly payment sucking in something that they pizz out an hour later and have nothing to show for it . 700 bucks a couple of months ago to fly to Montreal Canada , including the room , tickets and food , return flight to watch the Ultimate Fighting Championship . That's 2 or 3 months of drinking money for many and and they'll never get anywhere unless there is money in the family . No vacation until Christmas because i just spent more booze money on a new scoped hunting rifle but Christmas is booked for Costa Rica . All inclusive , $1,200.00 for 5 days including flights all on money i would have spent on beer and whiskey and a bit of smoke . Life is good .

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ExCommando

I dont get the shakes if I dont drink...but I do feel the urge nagging at me after a couple days of not having any.

I get slight insomnia as it is, between the stresses of everyday life and family on your mind its hard to wind down which is where the bottle helps. Not saying to get plastered, but just to relax and wind down.

But as my ability to spend fluctuations so does the brand of alcohol....for example, if Ive had a hard month of big bills Ill be drawn more to the "Nelson County" $28-33 bottles.....whereas if its a good month I'd go get a $40 buck bottle of "Wild Turkey" and treat myself.

Funny how your affordability influences your choice in booze...atleast it does for me. Its also helped me get off the booze for a couple weeks at a time when times get tuff.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
reply to post by bandito

Bandito. How do you define "high end women" and why don't they drink?

Do they have money... Looks...brains...?

edit on 22-6-2011 by Zarniwoop because: Speling

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by OMsk3ptic

Speaking in term of neurological damages
Alcohol is in the top 5, legal drugs or illegal.

//

And honestly, i'm impress of the comments of this thread.
Many of you seems to be aware of the potential danger.
And stopping completely for a month is more complicated than it looks.

Heres a few tricks.
1. Dont watch too much TV, or mute the commercials but dont watch hockey the ads are all over the places.
2. Its sad but it what it is, alot of social activities are closely related to alcohol. Limit them or try badminton lol.
3. Get informed, like som1 mentioned, it is a depressor and a drug, legal but i'm sure you understand now a few reasons why it was once illegal.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Zarniwoop

Mostly fairly well educated because they worked for it . Mostly well employed because of the work ethic and the education . Not bar or club flies . Well spoken and can carry on a conversation on a wide variety of topics . Centered . Bright . They know how to be a lady as well as a woman . Well kept and dressed but that doesn't mean expensive . Without slutty behavior in public . Average looking to nice because they don't require Hollywood looks to be attractive . As sense of strength . Never dressed like a tramp with a tramp stamp on their lower back just above the pants for all to see . The kind of woman that is the marrying kind . A sense of humor and way out of the ditzy teenage years . Not a player . I know several women like that and have known many over the years . I don't drink but don't care if they do as long as the alcohol effect doesn't get noticeable . Most drink very little to none when you get to know these women . Very confident and they don't need to get gassed to get on the dance floor , or to do anything . Many i know have been divorced once because the former husband wanted a party and drinking partner and then moved on to a woman like that who also show no sense of responsibility . The kind of woman who will try to figure you and the situation out long before she'll make up her mind to go to bed because if she's going to share something , you'll be worth it or it won't happen . Fairly high standards and expectations . Just really nice . The kind who will go kayaking on a Saturday afternoon even though shes never done it before and then both of us prepare dinner . Adventurous but not wild . The kind that can have a great date walking through a flea market sorting junk and looking for treasures while laughing and enjoying the date . Someone who may go on vacation if she knows you well and you treat her well . My definition of a high end woman that i like to spend time with . There are a lot of those women around but you won't find them in the bars and clubs shaking their tail . They may or may not have already done that . Your definition may be different , and that's fine . The woman i'm seeing right now is 10 years younger than me and enjoys staying home and doing crafts . She's terrific .

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:12 AM
link   
Come on.. All people with an high IQ had an drinking or drug problem. When I drink I know how far I can take it and know where to end it. Society makes people drink irresponsibly. Beer is great, I encourage all to drink. Broaden your mind, and drink. Just don't be a tool. It's the trash or weak minded individuals that have issues with substance.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SlapTheGinkels

Some very broad sweeping statements there, it's like trying to get into a debate about the legalisation of cannabis, the supporters will be users and as such have a very one sided view and see anyone trying to take it away from them as being evil, alcohol like any drug is a crutch.

no one needs alcohol, ok maybe top fuel dragster drivers

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Did you take your user name from the awesome alcohol filled flick from 1975 Moonrunners?

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
BTW..I'm against cannabis.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:35 AM
link   

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 03:43 AM