It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huntsman Declares Presidential Run

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
Jon Huntsman, Republican ex-gov of Utah, has declared he is running for POTUS.

Former two-term Utah governor Jon Huntsman on Tuesday formally entered the Republican presidential primary race with the Statue of Liberty behind him, the Associated Press reported.
:
By making his announcement at Liberty State Park, Huntsman conjured up images of conservative favorite Ronald Reagan, who announced his candidacy for the highest U.S. office in the same spot in 1980.

Wuss

Bullcrap. He didn't conjure up any images of Reagan. Huntsman sounds like a wuss, pleading for civility and saying he won't attack Obama. Ever hear Reagan's speech? He went right for Carter's throat.

This plus his former support for Cap and Trade rules him out before he gets started.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Jon Huntsman has the opportunity to be a significant player in the GOP 2012 field. Seeing as how he would be the favorite candidate of Moderate-to-Liberal Republicans he could be a formidable foe for Mitt Romney who up to this point has held immense leads among this group. Also Huntsman would perform excellent among Independents and nervous Democrats in the general election.

For me Huntsman is far too Liberal. I do particularly like his resistance to attacks upon the President as I see that as a sign of civility and maturity but his former endorsement of cap-and-trade along with his growth in size of government while Governor of Utah cannot be forgotten. His record is mixed and some of his positions are a breath of fresh air but overall he just does not propose the right solutions for the problems we find ourselves in today.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

Jon Huntsman has the opportunity to be a significant player in the GOP 2012 field. Seeing as how he would be the favorite candidate of Moderate-to-Liberal Republicans he could be a formidable foe for Mitt Romney who up to this point has held immense leads among this group. Also Huntsman would perform excellent among Independents and nervous Democrats in the general election.

Imo, Moderate-to-Liberal Republicans are the reason the GOP is in such a miserable state. They are too wishy-washy and too willing to compromise instead of doing the right thing.

For me Huntsman is far too Liberal. I do particularly like his resistance to attacks upon the President as I see that as a sign of civility and maturity but his former endorsement of cap-and-trade along with his growth in size of government while Governor of Utah cannot be forgotten. His record is mixed and some of his positions are a breath of fresh air but overall he just does not propose the right solutions for the problems we find ourselves in today.

His call for civility reminds me of 2008 when McCain threatened to fire anyone of his staff that mentioned Obama's middle name. This is what I mean by too weak Moderate-to-Liberal Republicans.

Every thing you said in your post is true. It's just the old half-full, half-empty glass, tho.

edit on 22-6-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 04:32 AM
link   
How many more billionaire mormons do we need in this field? I'm starting to think the PTB are just going to throw the whole kitchen sink at it and end up with another 4 years of Obama. Which if Romney or Huntsman win you might as well reelect Obama.
Ron Paul 2012. Restore America Now.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I think huntsman has a good chance in 2016 if he keeps his nose clean and whatnot.

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by mishigas
Jon Huntsman, Republican ex-gov of Utah, has declared he is running for POTUS.

Former two-term Utah governor Jon Huntsman on Tuesday formally entered the Republican presidential primary race with the Statue of Liberty behind him, the Associated Press reported.
:
By making his announcement at Liberty State Park, Huntsman conjured up images of conservative favorite Ronald Reagan, who announced his candidacy for the highest U.S. office in the same spot in 1980.

Wuss

Bullcrap. He didn't conjure up any images of Reagan. Huntsman sounds like a wuss, pleading for civility and saying he won't attack Obama. Ever hear Reagan's speech? He went right for Carter's throat.

This plus his former support for Cap and Trade rules him out before he gets started.

How can you hate huntsman and yet love romney? They're practically the same guy!

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 22 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I have gone and researched more about Jon Huntsman, Jr. as I felt that I should give him the benefit of the doubt. What turned up intrigued me. He seems like a very intelligent, respectful, and decent person which has proven his fiscal conservatism and now is being consistent with his staunch opposition to our nation-building and occupation as he is calling for an immediate troop withdraw from Afghanistan.

So far from what I have read it is necessary for me to now declare that my former post be treated as one with limited knowledge of an individual. As of right now Jon Huntsman, Jr. is my number two favorite candidate for 2012 just behind Ron Paul.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Misoir

I have gone and researched more about Jon Huntsman, Jr. as I felt that I should give him the benefit of the doubt. What turned up intrigued me. He seems like a very intelligent, respectful, and decent person which has proven his fiscal conservatism and now is being consistent with his staunch opposition to our nation-building and occupation as he is calling for an immediate troop withdraw from Afghanistan.

Fiscal conservatism? Where did you get that? He wanted an even BIGGER stimulus package than Obama proposed:

That said, Huntsman also argued that the stimulus should have been larger. “Well, the size of about a trillion dollars was floated by Mark Zandi, who’s a very respected economist,” he told Politico. (The CBO estimates that stimulus spending will amount to $830 billion.) “I tend to believe what he is saying about the size of the package, which didn’t necessarily hit the mark in terms of size.”

Big Spender

He increased the spending of Utah by 10% each year he was in office:

But Mr. Huntsman, who proposed Utah’s largest budget ever, “dramatically increased state spending,” Club for Growth said. It also highlighted a number of occasions in which Mr. Huntsman, until recently President Barack Obama’s ambassador to China, indicated support for Mr. Obama’s economic policies. It pointed out that Mr. Huntsman called Mr. Obama’s economic stimulus program too small and he supported the Troubled Asset Relief Program.

Club for Growth slammed the former governor for once calling health care a “right,” a position it found “simply flabbergasting. We’re not sure what part of the United States Constitution Governor Huntsman was referring to when he made that statement, but he certainly needs to explain what he was thinking.”

State Spending

Huntsman is Obama V2.0.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   
So you dont support states spending money?

Republicans who support Romney but not Huntsman appear schizophrenic to me.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I predict a Huntsman/Perry ticket for the GOP.
I predict Obama will win due to voter apathy.
The GOP has no one else ... NEWT is falling apart. Palin? Nope. Romney? BAH!
It'll be Huntsman/Perry. I'd bet the OP a box of donuts!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Huntsman wont likely make a real effort to win in 2012. He is likely just getting his name out there for 2016, when he has a VERY good chance (at this point.).

This coming Pres election will only be about furthering the brand for most GOP contenders.

At this point, it still looks like Romney will get the nomination, and lose. There's a chance Bachman might be his running mate.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

I predict a Huntsman/Perry ticket for the GOP.
I predict Obama will win due to voter apathy.
The GOP has no one else ... NEWT is falling apart. Palin? Nope. Romney? BAH!
It'll be Huntsman/Perry. I'd bet the OP a box of donuts!

Romney and/or Bachmann will be the ticket. Huntsman? No way, not if conservatives get off their duffs and vote. There couldn't be a worse choice, imo. Huntsman is Obama Lite.

You're on for the donuts.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Romney and/or Bachmann will be the ticket. Huntsman? No way, not if conservatives get off their duffs and vote. There couldn't be a worse choice, imo. Huntsman is Obama Lite.

So, you like Romney but not Huntsman?

I really dont see the difference. Can you explain what makes them so different, in your mind?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

So, you like Romney but not Huntsman?

I really dont see the difference. Can you explain what makes them so different, in your mind?

I didn't say i liked Romney, but I would vote for him over Huntsman any day. Mainly because Huntsman is a big wuss. He wants to keep the campaign civil, and says he won't go after Obama.

Obama has been coddled by the MSM for 4 years. And look at the result - disastrous.

Romney gave MA 'Romneycare'. But before you judge him on tha, let me ask you:

Do you think it is the job of a politician to do the will of the people that elected him?

I do.

Romney was a Red pol in a deep Blue state. He gave the electorate exactly what they wanted. End of story.

The sight of Huntsman standing with the Statue of Liberty behind him, channeling Ronald Reagan, made me gag. He's no more like Reagan than Obama is.

Huntsman want's the campaign to be civil. He reminds me of McCain when he threatened to fire any member of his staff that mentioned Obama's middle name.

Reagan went straight for Carter's throat. Romney has gone after Obama.

Huntsman worked for Obama.

Hunysman was in favor of Cap and Trade.

Huntsman thought the stimulus package didn't spend enough money.

Huntsman increase state spending by 10% every year he was in office.

That's enough for now.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   

So was Romney. Didnt we already cover this?

ETA: yes we did. Right here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The similarities between Romney and Huntsman FAR outweigh their petty differences.

If Republicans keep eating their own in this election cycle, they will lose.

Of course, that's the plan.

edit on 1-7-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

No, not me. First I heard of that. Show me.

The similarities between Romney and Huntsman FAR outweigh their petty differences.

Theirs are differences *with* a distinction.

edit on 1-7-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

No, not me. First I heard of that. Show me.

You honestly forgot a two page long discussion about Mit Romney first being for cap and trade and then being against it?

Or just looking to get a boost in the posts in this thread?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

You honestly forgot a two page long discussion about Mit Romney first being for cap and trade and then being against it?

Yes, I honestly did. That was a month ago, and my position hasn't changed.

That was uncalled for. It seems like you can't hold a discussion without injecting crap like that.

End of 'discussion' with you. You're too immature to hold a discussion.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:32 PM
link   

edit on 1-7-2011 by mishigas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Yes, I honestly did. That was a month ago, and my position hasn't changed.

That was uncalled for. It seems like you can't hold a discussion without injecting crap like that.

End of 'discussion' with you. You're too immature to hold a discussion.

sheesh. i guess i should have put a smiley up next to an obvious joke

why so angry tonight?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join