It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Background check company will store your social networking slipups for 7 years

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

What? Face book has facial recognition? Probably set to be on automatically? Crazy.

Don't stop there, just like the Kinect, cable boxes have incorporated the same tech, I think it was Time Warner that is pioneering that.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by David9176
reply to post by loam

Not really, if you make it public.

As an employer, I should have the right to assess your reputation and public behavior, as well as what you say about yourself.

Well I simply disagree with you...which is fine.

When people use facebook, most posting on it don't think of it as public...at least I haven't...

It's a testament to people's 'social media' illiteracy tat anyone can not know Facebook is public, and anything you type on the internet in general is veiwable to the general public. Maybe you should read those agreements you click on when you sing up?

There is a line that should not be crossed....and this is one of them IMO. Do you believe the government has a right to know this much information about you?

this isnt 'the government' its a private organization. nothing about this is about 'the government'.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Do you believe the government has a right to know this much information about you?

While I have no doubt they can know all of it if they choose, I do not believe the government should have access without consent or probable cause. (

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by QuietSpeech

What? Face book has facial recognition? Probably set to be on automatically? Crazy.

Yep - ATS thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

An employer should have some boundaries on what information they can get on you shouldn't they?

Not really, if you make it public.

As an employer, I should have the right to assess your reputation and public behavior, as well as what you say about yourself.

edit on 20-6-2011 by loam because: (no reason given)

your facebook information is not public, it is only between your friends on facebok. Anyone who attempts to hack your account is committing an act of war according to the pentagon and should be charged and invaded accordingly, with an AH-64 Apache helicopter.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

Maybe you should read those agreements you click on when you sing up?

I read them...i was stating that it's "perceived" by many as not being public. Thought I made that clear.

this isnt 'the government' its a private organization. nothing about this is about 'the government'.

Lol...yeah I know. I was asking this question to Loam personally as I was wondering if he thought that government had the same right as business to do this.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by QuietSpeech

Yes it is 90% accurate. Upload a picture of yourself on it right now and test it for yourself, it will automatically identify you in the picture and ask you to tag it. I disabled mine, its a very hidden setting, I mean very hidden.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
your facebook information is not public, it is only between your friends on facebok.

That all depends upon the settings.

Companies like the one in the source article surf in the public realm.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

While I have no doubt they can know all of it if they choose, I do not believe the government should have access without consent or probable cause.

Well, first, you are most likely right that they can dig up info on us if they want. Patriot act. I'm basically just asking why you think it's ok for a business to know this information yet not the government. I don't think either have the right.

What if the government is the employer?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
your facebook information is not public, it is only between your friends on facebok.

That all depends upon the settings.

Companies like the one in the source article surf in the public realm.

Ahh I see, I guess I have nothing to worry about then. I thought that they actually attempted to hack your account or make a fake profile and try to become your friends or something (that could work, but I dont just accept anyone).

link   

Yes it is 90% accurate. Upload a picture of yourself on it right now and test it for yourself, it will automatically identify you in the picture and ask you to tag it. I disabled mine, its a very hidden setting, I mean very hidden.

That's crazy. Had no idea....shows how often I've been using it, very little the last 6 months after the initial gloss wore off. When was this implemented?
edit on 20-6-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

link   

Lol...yeah I know. I was asking this question to Loam personally as I was wondering if he thought that government had the same right as business to do this.

And as you can see, I did not.

...I'm basically just asking why you think it's ok for a business to know this information yet not the government. I don't think either have the right.

What if the government is the employer?

I think when you initiate contact for the purposes of employment, you consent to the inspection of what you say about yourself. Otherwise, liars would always be protected. I don't know about you, but I don't want liars working for me.

If the government became my employer, the same would apply.

However, in both of these circumstances, I am only talking about PUBLICLY available material and whatever you otherwise choose to provide.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   

I think it was mid-late last year. Yea dude, its pretty awesome. I actually got a hold of some technology on par if not better than their facial recognition stuff and I may begin experimenting with it later on in the year. on facebook when you upload your picture it will put a box around your head and suggest you tag it with your name, which it will correctly ID at 90%

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Some one good with gimp can screw with the facial recognition part.

I see ways to really screw with someone you hate that has never had a facebook account or even goes on the computer.

Set them up a facebook page and burn them for years.

There are a number of companies that not only check on you when you are hired but as long as you work for the company.

I worked for one of those companies long before the internet. Kerr McGee.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
You may not be able to delete something you wrote but you can certainly obfuscate it. Create 50 Facebook pages with variations of your name and let them try to sort out all the confusion. I might start doing that now just as a privacy preemptive strike...

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Every time I see a thread like this, it makes me glad I don't have a facebook account.

There's also the wayback machine, which archives the internet, and I don't know of any 7 year restriction with them, though I don't know if it crawls social networking sites.

If the wayback machine archives something you've done on the internet, it could be there longer than 7 years!

The best advice is, don't post any photos or say anything online you wouldn't want showing up on the front page of the New York Times, that can be attributed to you. If you post anonymously which ATS is sort of anonymous, you have less to worry about. I don't think you have to worry too much about ATS unless you do something stupid like make a threat against the president or make other terrorist like threats... in cases like that ATS would rightfully give up your IP address so they can find out who you are.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Thank goodness for ATS. At least we should feel all nice and cozy here, knowing that our information won't be sold out to strangers. I like the idea behind Facebook of sharing with friends. But how many of you can truly TRUST your closest of friends, even online? As for background checks, I guess employers want to make sure they are not investing, err, I meant hiring someone scary.
edit on 2011-6-21 by pikypiky because: To correct for "proper" grammar and spelling.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
Routine background checks for employment typically consist of credit checks, maybe criminal record and former employment, no? All legitimate information. But social networking information, especially dated information that has been deleted? Unbelievable...

This ticks me off about this ruling and this should never have been allowed. It IS like a credit report, soon we will all have and be judged on our cyber-ratings...

Cripes...it's like a damn credit report!!!

I swear, every time a new piece of information comes out about social networking and/or internet activity/profiling I get closer and closer to renewing an old friendship with the library ...

edit on 20-6-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

Beat ya to it!

My Facebook account has been deleted now for about 4 months......

Glad of it, too.

Now I'm more personable with my 'real' friends', instead of our only communication being, "Hey, check my Facebook status!"

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus
I'm all about privacy and such but if you don't know how to properly protect your facebook account and if you post a bunch of careless stuff on twitter than you kind of earned it..

This is similar to being in public and getting your photo taken, if you go outside in public space and do something stupid, it's going to haunt you.. photos, stories... whatever.. when you're in public you are public domain .. Same for the web.. if you don't protect your posts then you've made them public record for the most part..

If you take my photo while I'm walking down the street I can't ask you to delete it..

The only real chance this would have at being defeated is the aspect that they are profiting off of your data..
edit on 20-6-2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

Personally I could care less. I am not a saint nor a beacon of personal virtue. This only helps small minded childish people who want to get a few laughs off of another person but not cute jokes from your own shortcomings.

But yeah its always funny when it happens to someone else. Goo goo gah gah! lol

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I have had more problems out of those "background check" places then anything. Half the information is wrong, outdated or what not, and getting it removed almost requires a court order. NOBODY should be able to sell information about me in a bundle package like that.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join