It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fukushima USA? How it could happen

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Safety has taken a back seat to cost-cutting at most of the nation's nuclear power plants, sparking fears that America could be facing its own Fukushima disaster. An investigation by the Associated Press has revealed federal regulators are repeatedly weakening - or simply failing to impose - strict rules.

Records show a recurring pattern: Reactor parts or systems fall out of compliance with the rules. Studies are conducted by the industry and government, and all agree that existing standards are 'unnecessarily conservative.' Regulation are loosened, and the reactors are back in compliance.

Ori ginal article

It appears that what happens when regulators try to crack down on issues, the plants simply say they will close down before complying. In that situation, I'd probably loosen the standards too. Else you'd have millions of people without power and rolling blackouts would be likely.
edit on 20-6-2011 by gnosticquasar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Oddly enough, a nuclear event on the Missouri (or mississippi, unsure which now) is one of the main points of the cataclymic story that is Left 4 Dead (2).

First signs of the zombie apocalypse?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AzureSky

I seriously hope not. The idea of a rage zombie apocalypse scares me pretty badly, even if some people are immune like in the Left 4 Dead games.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Not on survival mode. And i understand your fear. My father sat me down and made me watch the evil dead series when i was 11 or so. Scarred me for life..well, until i was about 20. Even sometimes now i'll be driving and ill get right paranoid that there are zombies in the woods out to get me.. But radiation alone wouldn't cause a zombie apocalypse. I don't think... if so, grab the katana and the crowbar..

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar

Safety has taken a back seat to cost-cutting at most of the nation's nuclear power plants, sparking fears that America could be facing its own Fukushima disaster. An investigation by the Associated Press has revealed federal regulators are repeatedly weakening - or simply failing to impose - strict rules.

Records show a recurring pattern: Reactor parts or systems fall out of compliance with the rules. Studies are conducted by the industry and government, and all agree that existing standards are 'unnecessarily conservative.' Regulation are loosened, and the reactors are back in compliance.

Ori ginal article

It appears that what happens when regulators try to crack down on issues, the plants simply say they will close down before complying. In that situation, I'd probably loosen the standards too. Else you'd have millions of people without power and rolling blackouts would be likely.
edit on 20-6-2011 by gnosticquasar because: (no reason given)

No, that's what the Nuclear Industry would have you believe, that millions would be without electricity and having rolling blackouts. I don't buy that crap for a minute. When officials in Japan this last week tried to urge people to support Nuclear power, or...god forbid...their electricity bills would go up $10 ( 1,000 yen) a month.....it put it all into perspective. If the island of Japan is so heavily dependent on Nuclear energy, then how come without it their electricity bill would rise ONLY $10 a month???

new topics

top topics

join