It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Talking to the Taliban.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I haven't seen anything official out of Washington on this allegation by the former Afghan president, but considering the situation in the region, I can see the US attempting to reach some kind of cessation of hostilities agreement.

If I remember correctly, this is the longest war in the history of the US, and now that OBL and other targets have recently been neutralized, combined with the economic woes in the US, I guess finally there could be some who are looking at this as a way to both save lives, and money.

aljazeera.net

Hamid Karzai, the Afghan president, announced on Saturday that the US has begun peace talks with the Taliban to try to reach a settlement to the decade-long war in Afghanistan.

The revelations come just a few days after the US shifted its position on the Taliban, suggesting that the group can be treated separately from al-Qaeda by convincing the UN Security Council to split up its sanctions list imposing asset freezes and travel restrictions.

A lengthy video segment on this news is available at the link..

edit on Mon, 20 Jun 2011 12:43:57 -0500 by JacKatMtn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Yeah i see this playing out like Vietnam did. We'll get our "peace" and be able to pull our troops out. As soon as were gone BAM!!! the Taliban role into Kabul, It'll be "Peace with Honour" everybody gets to save face and everyone gets to claim victory.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by lokdog

Possibly...

And here's the thread where the US confirms that talks are in progress:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by lokdog
Yeah i see this playing out like Vietnam did. We'll get our "peace" and be able to pull our troops out. As soon as were gone BAM!!! the Taliban role into Kabul, It'll be "Peace with Honour" everybody gets to save face and everyone gets to claim victory.

Yea except we didn't really get peace in Vietnam if you'll remember. Sort of tucked our tails and helicopted off the roof of the embassy.

new topics

top topics

join