It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nature takes over... Tree's eating things..

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

lol why do i think this is funny?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

when i see pics like this ( obviously from years of the tree growth around an object ) i feel bad for the tree, i know they don't feel pain like we do, but it still must be awkward. it's still a living thing you know, i don't understand how it could make the tree feel, but i still feel like it's un natural

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by indigothefish

when i see pics like this ( obviously from years of the tree growth around an object ) i feel bad for the tree, i know they don't feel pain like we do, but it still must be awkward. it's still a living thing you know, i don't understand how it could make the tree feel, but i still feel like it's un natural

i would wager it makes little to do difference to the tree so long as the materials in *whatever* the tree consumed are not directly poisonous.

The examples linked look heathly dispite their man made anomoly.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by indigothefish

I liked Indigothefish's comment best of all, because he understands that trees cannot move at all. They must keep growing outward and upward, and are forced to grow around anything mankind thoughtlessly puts in their way. Trees give us everything we need to survive and thrive in the world: fruit, nuts and maple syrup for food, spices and cork for our wine bottles, rubber for tires and countless other useful things, pitch to waterproof our ships, shelter from the rain, wood for our houses, fires to keep us warm, cool shade from the hot summer sun, flower nectar for the bees to make us honey, and most important of all, oxygen to breathe. In every season they are beautiful, even in winter, and even when they have died of old age, they still provide homes and shelter for so many small creatures. Trees never harm anyone or anything, except by accident, if the wind blows them down.

Without wood for carts and wheels, how could mankind ever have carried heavy loads long distances, or built the first boats to carry him down rivers and across the sea? Where would the first railroads have been without wooden timbers to support the track? Without paper from trees, how would mankind have made books and advanced his knowledge?

Where would we be without trees? And yet, how do we treat them in return?

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
Good for the trees, now they need to plot on the humans for killing all there fellow friends and family’s members.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Immortalgemini527

No, trees are entirely benevolent life forms, harming no one and nothing at all. And for this reason, luciferians hate them, and try to invert all good and beautiful things into evil, trying to drag everything down into darkness. They will not succeed.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I admit, from the title I was picturing a venus flytrap-like tree, but this is actually really cool as well. Thanks for the links. It's amazing how quickly nature takes over again.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tib50
reply to post by Immortalgemini527

No, trees are entirely benevolent life forms, harming no one and nothing at all. And for this reason, luciferians hate them, and try to invert all good and beautiful things into evil, trying to drag everything down into darkness. They will not succeed.

thats a very good natured thing you just said.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
This reminds me of something local. There used to be a town historian. When his father was a child he put a horse shoe around a newly planted tree.... Years later they cut the tree down and he managed to save the section that had the horse shoe in it.

It was inside the trunk. Very cool.

It used be in the local McDonalds, that section of the trunk.

I have also seen similar things on my own. Once a couple of months ago, I went exploring near a creek and saw this tree that had managed to grow around this plank of wood. Very cool.

That is what trees do, they grow around and even through any obstacles that impede them from reaching sunlight.

Ever seen a tree grow sideways? I have.

It allowed me to take this picture.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b8ade0c43002.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I must admit, this one's pretty creepy:

Cheers,
Strype

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
Saw this cool picture of a tree in a uk paper today, that had "eaten" a bicycle.. obviously someone had leant the bike against the tree and instead of pushing it over, it simply just gobbled it up..
i believe this tree is located in washington somewhere..
here is the bike one..
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d5dde035ca98.jpg[/atsimg]

That's Vashon Island; it's sort of a mascot for us. We have everything from a bar to a gardening company named after the thing.

posted on Jun, 20 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
trees grow from the top. if you put a mark in one it will be at the same height 5, 10 or 500 years later.

That bike was placed there and then the tree grew outwards around it. It was not picked up.

If you have a tree grow around a fence it doesn't rip the fence out of the ground over time, it just gets thicker around it.

The tip of the tree grows upwards, but elsewhere the only growth in the trunk is outwards. A nail hammered into the outside of a tree will stay at the same height, even though the top of the tree will grow upwards over the years.

source
edit on 20-6-2011 by black0h because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
loving this!
nature figures itself out. even uses comiplimentary colors.
+10 for mature.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
I was hiking the southern end of the Appalachian Trail last week and noticed at Coopers Gap (my first night) that a large tree I leaned my pack against had a pipe sticking out of the base of its trunk. This would not be so crazy, except that there are no water sources nearby, nor any houses within miles, given that this is in a national forest area and the top of a mountain ridge on which no homes have probably ever been built.

It looked like a 1" pipe that was inviting me to fill my water bottle, which was darkly humorous as I was out of water at the time and had to hike an additional 2 miles to the next water source.

My son (his first time on the Trail with a pack) was totally shagged. We set up camp, and I set out alone on the 4-mile round trip to get water.

The next morning when we were packing to leave, my son remarked on the pipe. Given that we had some water left from my foray the night before, I sprinkled some near the pipe, saying that we were repaying the 'Tree God' for giving us shelter and a good night's sleep.

Trees are our friends. I never cut one without cause. Mourn them when they die. Love hearing the song they share when the wind tilts their branches. And to the poster who mentioned "The Happening", yeah they will have their vengeance when we disrespect them.

I'll get a pic of the pipe in this tree the next time I'm up on that section of the trail.
edit on 21-6-2011 by Forrest because: Edit to add

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Absolutely amazing pics.
Never been fortunate to see anything like that first hand though.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:23 AM
link   

love it, trees are amazing.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by butcherguy
Trees grow outwards, not upwards.

trees...like every other plant....grow towards the sun

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

You're right, and most people don't realize this. When I was a kid my grandfather and my brothers built a treehouse, well, actually my grandfather. And there were angle iron stairs bolted to the two forked trunks to form stairs up into the treehouse. Over the years, I'd say about 20-30, the treehouse stayed at the same height above ground and so did the stairs, but the tree completely swallowed up the lower stairs and had grown over the topmost stairs to a point that you couldn't get a foot in the gap.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Silicis n Volvo

Originally posted by butcherguy
Trees grow outwards, not upwards.

trees...like every other plant....grow towards the sun
I was speaking in the sense of lifting a bike.

Of course trees increase in height, but they grow in length only at the terminal buds, so they do not lift things up in the air by growing.

Plants grow towards a light source(sun or artificial light) due to chemicals called auxins that allow for growth on one side of the plants stem and not on the other, causing the plant to bend towards the light source.

posted on Jun, 21 2011 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Ever have a fruit tree that wouldn't fruit? Hammer a nail into it and it will begin to fruit. Why?

It took energy to turn iron oxide into steel. As the steel corrodes it releases energy. This is how Nathan Stubblefield's "Earth Batteries" generated electricity to run the early telegraphs across America.

Trees want to overgrow metal objects because as that metal object decays it releases energy. The tree will grow quicker and bigger if it can overgrow something metal. Because it would be getting a free energy source, likely produce more excess Oxygen as well.

I did some interesting experiments using a multimeter to see which trees create more power. Put one lead down to the ground next to one of the roots, take the other lead and put it up into the tree as high as you can reach. Switch the multimeter to DC millivolts and see how much energy differential is between those areas in the tree. Amazing isn't it?

Trees, all life are electrical devices. If you put a load onto the tree sapping out energy into some capacitors the tree will become stunted...if you feed energy into the tree it will grow quicker.

Why we haven't adopted a National Strategy of placing old metal objects at the base of trees is beyond me. We could get our forests to grow quicker AND pull more Carbon Dioxide from the atmosphere.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join