It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bittorrent stops my internet from running.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Hey guys I'm just trying to figure out a problem I'm having. When I open up bit torrent, it downloads really really slow and I can't surf the web at all (pages not found). When I shut down bittorrent, everything goes back to normal. When i'm at my friends house its works fine, so it leads me to believe its a router/isp setting or something.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Mike

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
What client are you using? Check your upload settings it might be set high or to max and is killing your bandwidth.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Explanation: Set your upload and download limits at more reasonable levels instead of going full bore!

Personal Disclosure: There are also programs available that will let you do that called bandwidth managers!

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Could be you internet provider throttling your internet speed when you bittorrent... You say it's slow, but how slow... 100kbs, 10k or 1000k... Sometimes you have to limit your up speed cause that can bottle neck your system... also look for a NAT problem as that can cause speed issues as well

EDIT: Who flags computer help forums???
edit on 15-6-2011 by JJDoggie84 because: spazzing

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
ayyep those that said check your upload speed are correct.

you could be dling nothing, but hit your maximum upload speed via torrent and you will surf at a snails pace.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Also play around with the maximum amount of connections on your client. Too many connections can choke up a router or even crash it.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by mayabong

Could be your ISP's spped sucks, so BT is eating all of your resources or you could be getting throttled by your ISP.

I use Ipredator to hide what I am doing from my ISP, it isn't free..

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Nah, if it was a bandwith issue more likely than not he'd still have occasional internet access. It sounds like it's a port issue IMO. You're using a router aren't you? Find out your default gateway address.

Start > Run > Type ''CMD" and in the command prompt type ''ipconfig''. The address will look something like ''192.168.2.1''.

Once you've got your router address type it into your browser and it should take you to your router's configuration page, then it's just a matter of opening up the port you're using for downloading torrents. (You can find this information out by going into your torrent client's settings)

portforward.com... for a quick and easy guide to configuring your router (they're all different) failing that.. message me and i'll configure it over TeamViewer but have a go yourself.

edit on 15-6-2011 by YouDeserveToKnow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by YouDeserveToKnow

Yep wasn't a bandwidth issue I know what thats like. the port thing worked! Thanks so much!!

Mike

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Besides ports. There is a setting in preferences called Max number of connections.
That's the number of other clients you can connect to.

200 is the default number. If you raise this too high you can slow your router down to a crawl since it can't handle so many connections.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Also try utorrent. Works well for me.

Set the limits at medium and also try randomizing your ports once in awhile. Don't be running 100 seeds either. Back off to about 20-30 helps. And also the upload limits. Don't run at unlimited which is the 0 setting.

GL!

edit on 15-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I don't see how the port resolved the issue, because your normal internet doesn't go near the port you use for torrents.

I think, when you start torrenting and have the bandwidth set too high and have the same number of seeds/peers as you did when you were experiencing the issue, you'll get it again.

posted on Jun, 15 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by badw0lf

Opening ports on the router will help his bittorrent download and upload faster.

managing his connections will help him to ease the issues with his router.

Too many connections will overload a router.

top topics

join