It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Microsoft Windows Under Attack

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Of course the initial install takes only a short time, I was talking about security scans, those slow update downloads, SpyBot scan for spyware, (It always finds spyware on a new installation) and configuration to make Windows forget where you have been and cookie management, which keeps third-party cookies by default. Not to mention all of the reboots after every install of every program. I set the machine up for speed and security, and it does take time, as I said.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by autowrench
Of course the initial install takes only a short time, I was talking about security scans, those slow update downloads, SpyBot scan for spyware, (It always finds spyware on a new installation) and configuration to make Windows forget where you have been and cookie management, which keeps third-party cookies by default. Not to mention all of the reboots after every install of every program. I set the machine up for speed and security, and it does take time, as I said.

True, did not think abut the updates.
I have removed some bundled software from a few computers for people, the big one Mcafee, you almost need special software to get rid of it. For spy-ware my favorites were Advanced Systems Care and CCleaner.

What about Superfetch?
I know you don't want to turn it off for costumers computers. but do you turn it off on yours?

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Of course the initial install takes only a short time, I was talking about security scans, those slow update downloads, SpyBot scan for spyware, (It always finds spyware on a new installation) and configuration to make Windows forget where you have been and cookie management, which keeps third-party cookies by default.

When you say that it always finds spyware in a new installation I suppose you mean all those programs that the manufacturers like to include in their installations. Is that it?

Because if it is then that explains the difference, as I never need to do customer installations I always use the DVDs from Microsoft, only with Windows and without all that garbage that computer manufacturers like to add to a fresh installation.

Not to mention all of the reboots after every install of every program. I set the machine up for speed and security, and it does take time, as I said.
You don't need to reboot whenever a program says it needs a reboot, from what I have seen, many programs say that because that's what they used to do with older versions of Windows, I have seen many programs saying that and working as expected without a reboot.

posted on Jul, 24 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by ArMaP

The spyware I always find has to do with Windows Media Player. It has built in spying capability, in that is reports back to M$ anything you play. I always take it out, and install VLC Media Player. Faster, plays everything, has an EQ built in, and does not report to any corporation. I also remove M$ Virtual Machine, a dangerous java scrip thing, and install Sun Java. Renders pages a lot better, and you don't get the lock ups.
The reboots are with Genuine Advantage, Some updates, and Service Packs.

posted on Jul, 27 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

reply to post by ArMaP

The spyware I always find has to do with Windows Media Player. It has built in spying capability, in that is reports back to M$ anything you play. I always take it out, and install VLC Media Player. Faster, plays everything, has an EQ built in, and does not report to any corporation. I also remove M$ Virtual Machine, a dangerous java scrip thing, and install Sun Java. Renders pages a lot better, and you don't get the lock ups.
The reboots are with Genuine Advantage, Some updates, and Service Packs.

What do you think about Banshee Player? I really like it..
edit on 27-7-2011 by Tygart because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Never have used Banshee. I run Linux, and love VLC Player. There is a Windows version too, my wife loses it, and so do I...built in EQ and many features MP does not have. I may be a little biased here, but I have come to despise M$ and their billion dollar corporate closed source operating system.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   

The spyware I always find has to do with Windows Media Player.
I have never found spyware on a new installation, what do you use to search for spyware?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
This little jewel right here: SpyBot Search and Destroy. It also has many useful tools, you have to go to Advanced Mode to see them, that helps to protect your computer, especially the most weakest part of Windows, the Registry. You can check system internals, (always finds errors here) and Registry, (always finds errors here too) and has a script called "Tea Timer" that acts like a guard dog when you install a program.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by autowrench

I tried it and I didn't find any unexpected things (only two expected , spyware related, toolbars that were only semi-installed), no Media Player related spyware.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 07:26 PM
link   

I also remove M$ Virtual Machine, a dangerous java scrip thing, and install Sun Java.

I haven't seen that for a long time, from what versions of Windows do you removed it?

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Windows 7 is a bad OS, and Microsoft is quickly working on Windows 8 to replace it. I quit running Windows when Vista came out, started with Ubuntu.

Windows 7 isn't bad. It's far better than Vista and has won consumers over. The only reason Windows 8 is coming out it to compete with the tablet market. You should get your facts straight before slamming Win7 for the sake of slamming it. You Linux users are fanatics. You have to defend your choice of using a desktop OS that only has %1 market share because you have to keep convincing yourselves that you made the better choice. That fact is no one cares and doesn't want to buy into your Open Source Religion. Linux will never gain any significant desktop share because it's not standardized. It's had 20 years to try to prove its self and it's still not there and never will be.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join