It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boehner gives Obama Friday deadline on Libya

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Or as the Drudge Report headline calls it, an "ultimatum" ...

Looks like congress is not going to back down on this issue. In fact, "ratcheting up" might be a better description for what Boehner is doing.

source

Stepping up a simmering constitutional conflict, House Speaker John A. Boehner warned President Obama on Tuesday that unless he gets authorization from Congress for his military deployment in Libya, he will be in violation of the War Powers Resolution.

In a letter sent Tuesday afternoon, Mr. Boehner, the top Republican in the constitutional chain of succession, said Mr. Obama must provide a clear justification for committing troops to Libya by Friday. Sunday marks the 90th day since the president notified Congress that U.S. troops had been committed to help enforce a no-fly zone over Libya, which is designed to protect the rebels fighting Col. Moammar Gadhafi’s government.

Let's see who "blinks" first ...

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
As if anyone thinks that Obama believes anything applies to him......he'll do what he wants. Doesn't Boehner know about O's peace prize....geesh. Epic fail on the lefts part and Boehner is right.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

As if anyone thinks that Obama believes anything applies to him......he'll do what he wants. Doesn't Boehner know about O's peace prize....geesh. Epic fail on the lefts part and Boehner is right.
reply to post by adifferentbreed

doesn't Boehner know about O's being a constitutional professor.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
What we have here is a clear case of The Law vs Obama's Ego.

He does what he wants, where he wants, when he wants. According to him, HE is the law.

Obama is nothing but a Glorified Dictator in every sense of the word. When will more people see this?

edit on 14-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
This is the first time I can actually say good job Boehner. Since he and the republicans took over the house. you get a point.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reading this thread i am reminded of stallones movie line " i am the law"

which is pretty clear obama thinks hes above the law a constitutional lawyer and nobel peace prize winner should know.

boehner stick to you guns and make the most glorious leader eat humble pie.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
So many of you still don't seem to get the President is not in violation. According to the link in the OP...

The White House has repeatedly said it has complied with the law by alerting Congress to the initial deployment, and by testifying at more than 10 hearings and providing 30 follow-up briefings about the pace and extent of U.S. troops’ commitment.

Also we are now in a support role to NATO and should Congress decide to cut off the defense budget from Obama, he can still go forward with operation in Libya with other funding and not be in violation of the Constitution.

Boehner contends that he has not recieved a request for approval. Really he is just posturing.

House leaders are ignoring a request from President Obama for a congressional endorsement of the U.S. military mission in Libya.

Source

Boehner seems to be making a case out of deliberate misinterpretation of words.

posted on Jun, 14 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I don't think anything will come from it.

As for myself, I'd love to bring the troops home. We keep sending our troops out there surrounded by people that hate them.

Bring em home and take a bite out of this massive deficit....protect our borders and actually have a "real" national defense.

We need to invest in our country and our people not everyone else's. We've overextended ourselves in nearly every possible way. It's time we take care of our own.

top topics

join