It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

need help deleting

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 03:57 AM
link   
Can anyone recemend a good program for cleaning all information from a hard drive,Im selling my pc I have reformated my hard drive but I heard that all my credit card details and other data can be recoverd,are there any good free programs on line or whats the best one to buy
edit on 13-6-2011 by Lucifersjester because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lucifersjester
Can anyone recemend a good program for cleaning all information from a hard drive,Im selling my pc I have reformated my hard drive but I heard that all my credit card details and other data can be recoverd,are there any good free programs on line or whats the best one to buy
edit on 13-6-2011 by Lucifersjester because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Lucifersjester

komodo system cleaner will wipe out the piles for you

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Wipe it... or format it.

Did you get a copy of the OS on disk when i purchased your PC?

If so do a fresh install, it will automatically wipe everything and also the computer will run much faster and more efficently

Just put the OS disk in and run it from boot and then install windows again. Although make sure you have the audio/video drivers on disk to install after the OS install along with any other programs you want to include when you sell it such as MS Office etc.

Doing it this way will negate the need for third party programs, otherwise if you are still worried then replace the entire HD on you rPC, just add on an extra $200 to the purchase price

edit on 13-6-2011 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   
Try Darik's Boot And Nuke otherwise known as dban. Several options from Quick Erase to DOD 5220.22-M wipe. Just depends on how long you want the wipe to take.

Download available at Sourceforge

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Your selling your computer and want the hard drive completely wiped?? Sure you can use software but as any good paranoid could tell you, the CIA has ways of making that information reappear.

I use one of these...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d824d2b7084a.jpg[/atsimg]

For extra certainty, roast HD on an open fire for three hours. Your HD will now be completely clean.

Seriously, what does a hard drive cost nowadays??

Peace

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
I work in IT Forensics and its my job to recover "wiped" drives (its so easy lol), and I get asked this question often. Apart from doing a several complete 0 1 wipes which often requires booting off of a CD with the program installed, or installing the drive in another PC, I world recommend buying a cheap NEW drive, or buy a cheap 2nd hand one to put in it. Either way your data wont be recoverable in anyway. With the old drive, I'd pull out the platters...they make great coasters on the coffee table
The only 100% safe way to not give your old data away, is to not give your old hard drive away in the first place.
edit on 13/6/2011 by proph3t777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
I myself use eraser for stuff I want destroyed.

Eraser

It overwrites data a few times and is pretty good imo.

posted on Jun, 13 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Use Ubuntu Live CD

Read more How To Geek

Use an Ubuntu Live CD to Securely Wipe Your PC’s Hard Drive Have you ever given or sold a PC to somebody else, but really wanted to completely wipe the hard drive first? Today we’ll show you how to use an Ubuntu Live CD to get your personal information off your PC.

Get Ubuntu
edit on 13-6-2011 by Tygart because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join