It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

what happened to the amazing "Ignore" feature???

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
That was such a tremendous blessing, and I cannot find how to do it anymore. It used to be you could just click the "ignore" button on someone's post.

Where did the feature go? Or am I just missing it?

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
I think the overriding philosophy is that an ability to ignore things you don't like to hear or people you don't want to hear sort of goes against the concept of the website.
There are tons of forums out there that allow you to filter information however you deem fit...

ATS generally wants (as a concept) a flow and clash of ideas and information overall. the people you disagree with most at the very least will give you an insight into how opposing mindsets work and will challenge you to learn and grow more, or indeed change your perspectives if the points are strong enough..
at worst, it will show you what your up against.

So, although the ignore function would be seen as convenient and nice, well, truth is rarely convenient or nice..and just as a philosophical standpoint, its probably best to not have it around for this specific style of forum.

might as well just read someones blog you agree with if you want a cheerfest of your own ideas.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
It would appear that that feature has been removed.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

I only used it when I first signed on Typ. So I don't even miss it . Would you really use it? I remember when I did use it I got all paranoid about what that person might be saying about me. And then would take them off ignore.
Back and forth. To much of a merry go round for me.
Gave me head trips.

edit on 10-6-2011 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
That was such a tremendous blessing, and I cannot find how to do it anymore. It used to be you could just click the "ignore" button on someone's post.

The trolls abducted it and are holding it for ransom under the bridge..

Im sure someone knows more as I wasnt really paying attention due to real life interfering with my online fun, but it seems the ignore feature was misused by folks in trollish ways. Personally I liked it, but then again we are big kids and can scroll past annoying or just plain bad posts. I do this as much as possible, but even I am tempted to speak up when I see a few certain things being said. After this summer ,since the spring has already started off with such a bang on ATS, they may be rushing to reinstate the ol button!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

ROFL!!!
Now THAT was funny!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Advantage

Wait. How is it possible to misuse the ignore feature in a trollish way?
How would the "ignored" even know, let alone recognize it was a trolling effect?
Or care, for that matter...

I guess it's a bit like the FOE feature actually, misused and abused, but still wanted.

edit on 10-6-2011 by LadySkadi because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Everyone loves to debate ideas, that's kinda why we are here. But there are very very rare individuals who's sole purpose is to flame and troll, and on these extreme rare individuals I'd love to be able to ignore them like I used to be able to here.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by randyvs

I rarely ignored anyone, and if I remember correctly you coyld only ignore a handful of people anyways.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Was replaced by the "Deal with other people thinking different than you" feature.

In my opinion it is great that feature is gone, i saw this many times and it was really annoying:

Someone posted something
Another poster came by, posted his thoughts
Thread owner puts second guy on ignore because he disagrees
We can see both members posts but thread owner can't see second guy
Second guy posts wonderful information and we all learn a lot and maybe thread needs to be closed
Owner is ignoring second poster so he goes into lala land along with several other people who agree with him
We get a ridiculous thread where several people are posting this and that and no one knows what the other is doing or saying.
Thread goes into crazy mode, it makes no sense because everyone is yelling at the same time and ignoring the others.

Otherwise it could be a fine discussion, i think if you really hate someone because of what he is posting, and those posts are offensive or disgusting or whatever, you can report it and maybe get that member banned, instead of just ignoring it, I mean the feature was ok, if people would use it correctly, but that rarely happened.

edit on 10-6-2011 by Kaifan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
OP, I would answer the question but I am ignoring you.

If that doesn't work, I'm gonna take my baseball and go home!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

Ten exactly. And I was go'in for more. Can you imagine all the peaking thru blinds ? I finaly got a grip and took everyone off. LKeft the damn thing alone.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadySkadi
reply to post by Advantage

Wait. How is it possible to misuse the ignore feature in a trollish way?
How would the "ignored" even know, let alone recognize it was a trolling effect?
Or care, for that matter...

I guess it's a bit like the FOE feature actually, misused and abused, but still wanted.

Dont you recall other posters trying to stir the pot... they would quote or copy and paste what the "ignored" said about the "ignorer" in a reply so the "ignorer" was sure to see it? It was just all silliness and circumventing what the button COULD have been used for... lessening the infighting. Even typing it out sounds silly, but adults were engaging in it

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Alright, thanks everyone. I suppose the feature qwas removed because certain people were complaining that their posts were being ignored. And from what you fellas say I should just ignore the flamers and trolls.

Points noted, will do.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
Originally posted by LadySkadi

Even typing it out sounds silly, but adults were engaging in it

We are presuming that we are all adults on this site... I hear (though I don't claim to know for sure) that there are posters who are not adults! I have even heard that some posters are not even from this planet! I know, it's shocking...

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Alright, thanks everyone. I suppose the feature qwas removed because certain people were complaining that their posts were being ignored. And from what you fellas say I should just ignore the flamers and trolls.

Points noted, will do.

Actually youre supposed to report it to a mod if it violates the T&C. If its just an annoyance, ignoring it sometimes works

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

Damned Zeta Reticuli and Pleadians mucking up our nice friendly human chats again... ...

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Why not a "ignore thread" feature so that when looking at the newest and biggest threads someone won't be stuck looking at threads they aren't interested in. I know I would like to focus on more quality threads instead of the various silly threads that go on around here.

But it is good to have a ignore user feature too so as to avoid badgering from various trolls.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Yeah, there will always be differnces of opinions here and there, but when I have certain posters who follow me into every thread I make or participate in for the sole purpose of disagreeing with every single thing posed that becomes quite annoying.

Those are trolls. There should be an ignore feature for thses types. They are extremely rare, but they do exist.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Elzon

Why not a "ignore thread" feature so that when looking at the newest and biggest threads someone won't be stuck looking at threads they aren't interested in. I know I would like to focus on more quality threads instead of the various silly threads that go on around here.

But it is good to have a ignore user feature too so as to avoid badgering from various trolls.

You can use the (-) minus sign to "hide" the threads you arent interested in. I havent used it so I have no idea how it works and hopefully someone will come along who can explain it better.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join