It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girl wants to wear her Marine Corps uniform to graduation.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
A girl in the Pittsburgh area worked hard to graduate high school early and then went to Marine Corps boot camp and completed her basic training. Now, she wants the right to walk across the stage in her uniform during her high school graduation.

Marine Not Allowed To Wear Uniform For High School Graduation

A young Marine just out of boot camp is fighting a different fight.

The 17-year-old North Allegheny student wants to wear her Marine dress blues to her graduation ceremony, but was told she was not permitted to do so.

Lindsay Starr, of Wexford, graduated from North Allegheny High School early, joined the Marines, spent three months in boot camp, graduated and is ready to serve as a United States Marine.

“When you wear this uniform, you wear it with pride,” she said.

Starr called North Allegheny High School and then visited the campus wearing her dress blues. Her request was to walk across the stage wearing her new uniform.

“I’m just trying to show pride in what I belong to now. I belong to the United States Marine Corps as a 17-year-old,” she said. “Like, c’mon, now.”

Administrators say policy is policy – wear the school colors – the cap and gown for the graduation ceremony – or don’t walk at all.

“There should be no reason for them to say no,” Starr said. “They don’t have to do anything. I come in my uniform, shake hands, get my diploma and it’s over.”

The school released a statement: “We have had these requests before. We just don’t do it. The required dress is cap and gown.”

CBS Pittsburgh

In my opinion, this girl is a disgrace to the armed services. She was supposed to learn discipline and self control in the military. She was supposed to learn to respect authority and follow orders. It is good that she is proud of her accomplishments but, when the school told her the policy, her military discipline should have kicked in and she should have accepted the decision of her superiors.

Instead, she went crying to the media about the grave injustice that is being inflicted upon her. Typical spoiled rotten little brat kid.

It seems her time in basic training did nothing to teach her about discipline, following orders or even the importance or purpose of wearing a uniform. Every person in the military is supposed to be in uniform when on duty. It shows that they are part of the group, builds esprit de corps, prevents individuals from standing out (handy when snipers are around) and helps to develop unit discipline. The uniform for graduation is the cap and gown period; it shows that all graduates are equal in the eyes of the school and that they are a part of an elite group; the newest alumni of the school from which they are graduating.

By the way, this spoiled little brat is getting her way in this:

North Allegheny Will Permit Marine To Wear Uniform For High School Graduation

It looks like she will get her way. Sources close to the district say Starr will be given an exemption to a school policy that only allows the cap and gown to be worn by graduates.

For Starr it’s simple – fight for your country and fight for your right to represent your country at a high school graduation ceremony.

CBS Pittsburgh

Blind, stupid, knee jerk patriotism wins again.

Now she has learned an important life lesson; when things don't go your way, go crying to the media and the authorities will cave in to your will. When the Corps orders her to charge up a hill to take a dangerous enemy position, you can be sure to see her crying to the media again that she doesn't like those orders and thinks they may be a violation of OSHA regs.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Yep graduations have their own uniform that is a tradition that should be respected. It's nice she is proud of her military uniform also but she needs to show some respect to the school also.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
As a member of the Armed Forces who has served my country for 7 years, including two tours of duty in Iraq, this stuff sickens me. I absolutely cannot stand when I see kids/soldiers whatever you want to call them, straight out of Basic Training or Boot Camp parading around in their PT's or uniform, just to do it. I was in the bar the other night after one of my friends I made in the service got married, a bunch of us (Army pals) went out to the bar following the reception, only two walk in and see two "soldiers" stomping around in Army PT shirts. People tripping over themselves to buy these guys shots and shake their hands....two soldiers I could just about guarantee have never been sent to serve outside of a monthly drill weekend. I could care less about having my hand shaken, or being bought a drink or two, hell, even being noticed. Most of the people who frequent the establishments I visit know who I am and where I have been and upon first returning home, they gave me some special treatment. It just irritates the hell out of me when people go out of their way to make sure everyone kisses their ass because they are service members. Hello, McFly, there are 10-12 of us, who have served multiple tours of duty, who have been in for over 100 combined years, amongst you. Whatever makes you feel good about yourself I suppose. Sure, I get it, you are "proud". That has nothing to do with it....it's because you (she) are (is) an attention whore. Look at me, all grown up Ms. Marine! Congratulations, disgraceful though. If this were your MARINE CORPS GRADUATION, sure, wear the damn dress blues. Alas, it is not, wear your damn cap and gown, you aren't "better" than any of your classmates for being a marine, and I'm sure the world is sure you are proud of yourself, without you needing to prove it to everyone. Wear the damn uniform when you are SUPPOSED to wear the damn uniform.
edit on 6/9/2011 by mademyself1984 because: additionally

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
LOL strange this ...

In the military uniformity and conformity was taught and drilled into peoples heads so that service-members act as a team. There is no "I" in team. The "I" kills the team.

Apparently this young girl is obviously disregarding this for what pride?

Something tells me this isn't about pride but using it as a status symbol.

LOL man, she not serving the country (corporate interests), she's serving herself to gain more status! From my experience in the service, peeps like these don't last long.

edit on 9-6-2011 by anon102 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by FortAnthem

I say ok.

But only if people completing basic training can wear a graduation gown at their ceremony.

The military has no place in a public school. IMO

edit on 9-6-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   
People wear clothes underneath that gown. I doubt there is any policy preventing her from wearing the Marine Corps. uniform underneath that cap and gown.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by mademyself1984
As a member of the Armed Forces who has served my country for 7 years, including two tours of duty in Iraq, this stuff sickens me. I absolutely cannot stand when I see kids/soldiers whatever you want to call them, straight out of Basic Training or Boot Camp parading around in their PT's or uniform, just to do it. Sure, I get it, you are "proud". That has nothing to do with it....it's because you (she) are (is) an attention whore. Look at me, all grown up Ms. Marine! Congratulations, disgraceful though. If this were your MARINE CORPS GRADUATION, sure, wear the damn dress blues. Alas, it is not, wear your damn cap and gown, you aren't "better" than any of your classmates for being a marine, and I'm sure the world is sure you are proud of yourself, without you needing to prove it to everyone. Wear the damn uniform when you are SUPPOSED to wear the damn uniform.

Used to be... waaaay back when, the only time you wore your blues when it wasnt totally necessary was during your wedding ceremony 'cause you couldnt afford to rent a tux on mil pay!

I am the daughter of a marine and married a marine. I do understand the pride first hand, but there is a place and time.. as you mentioned. I wish these kids would learn some humility and recognize proper protocol. If they deviate from protocol concerning the uniform dress of the graduating party for this one.. what precedent are they setting for another idiot kid that wants to wear something they are proud of.. and it not look as snappy as dress blues?
Yes, yes, Im old and thats old fashioned.. but it actually worked well. Im of the generation where we all werent special little snowflakes entitled to trophies even if we lost. Cant help my views..

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

Originally posted by mademyself1984
As a member of the Armed Forces who has served my country for 7 years, including two tours of duty in Iraq, this stuff sickens me. I absolutely cannot stand when I see kids/soldiers whatever you want to call them, straight out of Basic Training or Boot Camp parading around in their PT's or uniform, just to do it. Sure, I get it, you are "proud". That has nothing to do with it....it's because you (she) are (is) an attention whore. Look at me, all grown up Ms. Marine! Congratulations, disgraceful though. If this were your MARINE CORPS GRADUATION, sure, wear the damn dress blues. Alas, it is not, wear your damn cap and gown, you aren't "better" than any of your classmates for being a marine, and I'm sure the world is sure you are proud of yourself, without you needing to prove it to everyone. Wear the damn uniform when you are SUPPOSED to wear the damn uniform.

Used to be... waaaay back when, the only time you wore your blues when it wasnt totally necessary was during your wedding ceremony 'cause you couldnt afford to rent a tux on mil pay!

I am the daughter of a marine and married a marine. I do understand the pride first hand, but there is a place and time.. as you mentioned. I wish these kids would learn some humility and recognize proper protocol. If they deviate from protocol concerning the uniform dress of the graduating party for this one.. what precedent are they setting for another idiot kid that wants to wear something they are proud of.. and it not look as snappy as dress blues?
Yes, yes, Im old and thats old fashioned.. but it actually worked well. Im of the generation where we all werent special little snowflakes entitled to trophies even if we lost. Cant help my views..

Agree completely. When friend and family have passed, who served this country, I wear my dress uniform to their services. When I attend weddings of service members, who are wearing dress uniforms, I wear my dress uniform. When I was planning my wedding, we decided on my dress uniform. You don't wear your dress uniform to prom, you don't wear your PT's to the bar, you don't wear your dress uniform at your high school graduation! Idk, to me it seems awfully undermining of her to wear her dress uniform to her graduation. It screams "look at me, look at what I am, look at what I've done! (which honestly, you completed basic training, that's not exactly a huge accomplishment, sure, take some pride in it, but you haven't seen nothin' yet)." Is she expecting some sort of "ovation" when she walks the stage? All of her peers have to know she's a marine now. Her family and the friends of her and her family's families will certainly know she is a marine. Why shove it in front of everyone's faces, and upstage your peers like that? They are celebrating high school graduation, just as she is. I already have this girl's future pegged. She'll go to ROTC, have absolutely no REAL leadership skills, have absolutely no experience in the field, or in a deployed environment, and commission and become a Platoon Leader. One of those Platoon Leaders that never has the right answer, never has command and control, and is completely out of touch with their soldiers. That's just what the military needs, more self serving "Patriots" who confuse PRIDE with egocentricity.
edit on 6/9/2011 by mademyself1984 because: spelling error

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I'm torn on the issue. Rules are rules and she could always wear her gown until she gets her diploma then as soon as the ceremony is over and it's time for pictures. It is kind of selfish and doesn't respect the dress code and the tradition of the school. Yes, she went through military training, that's awesome, but the school spent three years educating her as well. It kills what she was supposed to have learned in training. Maybe they brainwashed her to the point of her believing that she belongs to the military and only takes orders from them. I can only imagine how her fellow graduates must feel. They probably think she is smug and spoiled for getting her way.

On the other hand, I wonder how hard she worked in getting people to side with her. I've always been the kind of guy who will do everything to get something done, no matter the rule or the obstacle, the exception will be made for those that work hard enough. Meh i dunno, she probably did take it too far and doesn't know the meaning of respect and discipline.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:03 PM
link   

That's interesting considering women aren't on the front line...

How much actual fighting has she done?

Also another interesting thing:

People who are in the rear with the gear, while they share some risk, are not nearly as likely to be shot at or do any shooting while deployed. I'm going to be a UH 60 mechanic and I don't claim to be "fighting and dying". I'm fixing helicopters for god sake.
edit on 9-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:16 AM
link   
I'm surprised nobody wanted to argue in her favor. I was sure someone would flame me for calling her a disgrace to the armed forces.

I heard about this one on the radio and the talk show host was 100% behind her and was shocked that so many military vets called in to flame her. I guess talk show hosts live in another world from ours where knee jerk patriotism rules.

What a shame. This story was whipped into a frenzy on KDKA Radio this morning by the same reporter that wrote the original story, as he repeatedly broadcast the school district’s telephone number and encouraged the public to swarm their telephone lines. When the KDKA Radio telephone lines were opened to callers, the reported shouted down views that differed from his own, and launched personal verbal attacks at them. Levels of patriotism were not the issue here, but that’s how it was sold on the airwaves. Shame on KDKA. It was completely irresponsible.

CBS Pittsburgh

Most of the comments on that site are negative as well. I hope that girl takes the time to read them and reconsiders her stance.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Jean Paul Zodeaux

Having served, and DAMNED PROUD OF IT, I can only agree with this young lady and you about wearing the uniform under the cap and gown as others wear their own clothes.

She will know it is there and that is what really counts.

I know she will be bursting with pride to show it off when she and all the other grads take off the cap and gowns.

Of course, by then it will be too late for anyone who disapproves to do anything about it.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

FortAnthem, I agree 100% with your view on this. Here in Pittsburgh it seems that over the past couple years the local news seems to try to knock down the school system(s) here. I wouldn't be suprised if the news fueled the fire to make them look bad.

JT
edit on 10-6-2011 by Greenblaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   
She should wear the required cap & gown. There's really nothing more to say except, "Get over yourself".

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
As an ex-serviceman of more than two decades I can understand that she is proud to wear the uniform, even if she is yet to chew some dirt. However, she should be also very proud to Graduate. The cap and gown is also a uniform to be worn with pride and she should do just that.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   

Update

It looks like the Marine Corps intervened and talked some sense into the girl. Apparently her story attracted the attention of Marine command in the Pentagon and they had her recruiter talk her out of it.

Marine to don cap, gown for graduation

A spokeswoman for a local Marine Corps recruiting station on Thursday said a young private who wanted to wear her dress blues during North Allegheny High School's graduation ceremony will don the traditional cap and gown after all.

Marine Sgt. Lynn Kinney said she had a heartfelt talk with Starr, 17, who is working at the recruiting station during a 10-day leave.

"We talked about what it means to be a Marine and understand policy and support government decisions," Kinney said. "She understands."

A statement released by the North Allegheny School District indicated school officials had been in contact with the Marine Corps Uniform Board at the Pentagon, which offered Starr permission to wear her uniform under her cap and gown until after she accepted her diploma. Covering up a Marine uniform is usually prohibited.

Kinney said she would advise Starr against wearing the gown over her uniform.

The Marine Corps did not interfere in the school's decision-making process, said spokesman Maj. Carl Redding.

"As Marines, we respect the rules and regulations of all levels of government," he said.

The school's original decision incensed local veterans. Ron Conley, director of Allegheny County Veterans Services, said he was "appalled."

After the reversal, Conley said, "It was the right decision."

Pittsburgh Tribune Review

Good work Marine Corps, way to set that spoiled brat strait.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I only wanted to say that the freedom supposedly fought for under the guise of that uniform was all but lost if she lost her freedom to wear it. I mean that's why we were fighting wars right? freedom? then how could anyone tell her she can't if she's joined the same cause? seriously hypocritical regardless of "protocol" she's giving up a lot of rights to fight for ours, the least we could offer is a little walk across the stage in her uniform in case she dies fighting. jesus

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

She isn't losing any "freedom" by being told she should or will not wear her dress blues for her high school graduation. There are rules and regulations regarding the wear of ALL military uniforms. I had to attend a custody hearing in my dress uniform recently because following the hearing I immediately had an event organized by my unit to attend, and the dress code was Class A's. When I arrived at the custody hearing in my dress uniform the judge asked me if I was on orders to be wearing the uniform, and when I said no he began to attempt to make it a big deal. Apparently he felt that as a former First Sergeant (he disclosed as much), he needed to give me a lecture on United States Army Uniform Rules and Regulations. I told him where I was going following the custody hearing and that was the end of the discussion. You can't just wear your uniform just because you feel like wearing it.And as far as PT shirts, jackets, or shorts go, you should probably refrain from wearing those just to be wearing them as well. There are a couple of reasons why this is the case. Believe it or not, the military actually realizes and understands that NOT EVERYONE likes or agrees with or supports them. Why parade around in public where any number of people could potentially jump at the chance to "kick a soldier's ass", or worse? Another reason, is because it sends the wrong message. If me and 10 of my Army pals decided we were going to wear our ACU's and march around the mall, it potentially sends a message (to some of the kinds of people that post on this very site, amongst others) that something JUST HAS TO BE going on here. When in reality it's just a group of knucklehead soldiers who have a superiority complex and seek attention because they are soldiers, and they want EVERYONE to know it. I've seen such posts, most recently one about a US Air Force Flight Simulator. The simulator is in the trailer that is hauled by a big rig. Somebody snapped a picture of it claiming it to be the next tool of death or administrator of war, when in reality it was a training device. I've seen posts where people from the general public are panic stricken because they see "15-20 military vehicles hauling tanks or armored vehicles, etc. THEY ARE MOBILIZING!!! No....it is most likely an annual training mission. (2 weeks of training a year that every guard/reserve unit attends, which is conducted in most cases as an actual mission, meaning you have an objective. If these tanks are to be moved from point a.) to point b.) for whatever reason, units training often pick up the task to maximize not only their training, but the distributing and receiving posts efficiency) Your military uniform is issued to you because that is the uniform you WORK in. Your PT uniform is issued to you because that is the uniform you CONDUCT PERSONAL TRAINING in, and your dress uniform is issued to you, because that is the uniform you CELEBRATE MILITARY MILESTONES in (with the exceptions generally being accepted as funerals and weddings). Nobody is "conforming" to anything, the rules were the rules long before she joined the Marine Corps.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

I'm surprised nobody wanted to argue in her favor. I was sure someone would flame me for calling her a disgrace to the armed forces.

Can I "flame you" in the opposite direction?

I don't think she should be going around acting like her "service" is something that she needs to tout in front of an audience of impressionable young adults. These kids should not be aspiring to become part of the military, we have too many problems to deal with over here. If you can get a stable job in the homeland, let's not be encouraged to be a pawn in a war for corporate interest and hide behind some age-old propaganda, acting like it's totally fine because of nationalist preacher-esque regurgitations that hold no value.

I think Hitler died a long time ago and we should not have adopted his war interests and nationalist "patriotic pride".

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOrangeBrood

I don't think she should be going around acting like her "service" is something that she needs to tout in front of an audience of impressionable young adults. These kids should not be aspiring to become part of the military, we have too many problems to deal with over here. If you can get a stable job in the homeland, let's not be encouraged to be a pawn in a war for corporate interest and hide behind some age-old propaganda, acting like it's totally fine because of nationalist preacher-esque regurgitations that hold no value.

Amen to that.

I joined the military right after high school because I didn't know what else to do with my life. Soon after I was taking part in the war to impose a New World Order better known as Operation Desert Storm. I was a dumb kid back then and thought I was supposed to be proud of my service. I have since learned more about the motives of my country in getting us involved in that war and all the wars since and I don't go around bragging about my service anymore. If anything, I see it as a cautionary tale to warn people of what not to do.

Our soldiers are not used to protect the American people anymore, haven't for a long time. Today, they serve the interests of international bankers and huge mega-corporations. The media and especially right-wing radio pump kids full of patriotism BS about how they should be proud to serve this country and give their lives for our freedoms. You can be sure that what they are sent to do today will have nothing to do with protecting America's freedoms, rather it will have to do with protecting some corporation's bottom line and if they give their lives, it will be in the name of profits, NOT freedom.

I joined the military right out of high school because I lacked direction, today kids may be forced to join because the economy doesn't have any jobs for them. It makes me wonder if this may have been one of the intended goals of the financial collapse. Big business needs more soldiers to protect their profits overseas.

Kids shouldn't be encouraged to join the military, they should learn to run away from military recruiters as fast as they can. Holding this girl up as an example for our children is a travesty.

top topics

join