It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Europeans ask U.S. not to seek death penalty in Cole bombing

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Europeans ask U.S. not to seek death penalty in Cole bombing

www.bellinghamherald.com

The European Parliament, long a foe of the death penalty, urged the U.S. Thursday to abandon plans to seek the death penalty for a Saudi-born captive accused of orchestrating the 2000 bombing of the USS Cole.

In a resolution, the parliament noted that the accused, Abd al Rahim al Nashiri, 46, was held and interrogated at a secret CIA prison in Europe out of reach of the International Committee of the Red Cross.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Read More

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Religion, Faith, And Theology
Social Issues and Civil Unrest
War On Terrorism
Other Current Events

edit on 9/6/2011 by Sauron because: Remove URL from title

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Ok so with the Death penalty thingy though, do you guys think that the cold bomber should get a death penalty and take advice from European not to take the death penalty or do what we want? Just wondering about the whole thing cause i don't know what to say.

Anyways guys that's my opinion so what do you think about this?

www.bellinghamherald.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
There is no need for death penalty when the CIA has killed more people in its illegal secret wars and gotten away with it than the u.s.s cole bombing.
edit on 9-6-2011 by MIDNIGHTSUN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Paulioetc15

I'm not a supporter of the death penalty, so keeping him in jail for the rest of his life is fine by me. Most of these jihadists would prefer the death penalty in any event, so life in prison is in some ways a harsher penalty.

Stick him a room and pump Justin Beeber into it 24/7

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
hang em
shoot em
stick a needle in his eye

those sailors had no clue of what was about to occur wake one day goto work and bam your dead.

murder death kill

and may allah have mercy on his soul

i support the death penality since it happened to americans in a port of call

europeans have no say in the matter.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

I'm not a supporter of the death penalty, so keeping him in jail for the rest of his life is fine by me. Most of these jihadists would prefer the death penalty in any event, so life in prison is in some ways a harsher penalty.

You are actually pretty much on the mark, dont give them the martrydom they want. Just stick them in a prison and let them rot. Actually put them in "General Population", and they will be probably killed by other inmates, which i would think would not be the same martyrdom as if the state put them to death.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Absolutely.. They attacked a US navy vessel and killed American sailors in the process. Why should we not seek the death penalty?

As far as the EU goes, I respect their position, however it was not one of their vessels that was destroyed. Personally speaking, appeasement does not work.

Locking people up like this guy only creates a rallying point for extreme hijacked islam.

Its up to God to forgive this guys actions... Its up to us to arrange that meeting.
edit on 9-6-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by dolphinfan

LOL good idea. We should bring Justin Bieber along with Lil Wayne into this and they may as well sing along with each other. Those three would make a great team XD.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

I guess we could always return all these people from gitmo and return em back to their home countries. It should be easy enough.. Load em onto a C-130, and when the plane crosses into the coujtries airspace, open the back door and drop em from 40k feet.

If they tuck and roll at the right time they should survive.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Well perhaps we should just put him before a Saudi style court in the U.S. just to be fair to his beliefs,country of orgin what have you. Then carry out the sentence immediately just like a Saudi court would do. Would that satisfy the European Government then?I believe murder is eye for an eye if I am correct

edit on 6/9/2011 by CaptGizmo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Sadly, it make not one lick of difference either way.... justice will not be served.

Unless this was a one-man operation.

Too much intrigue to be sure, and killing one person puts the issue to rest for many who don't see that the chain of guilt runs way beyond this one schmuck.

I'd rather not give his co-conspirators the satisfaction of knowing this one can't hurt them anymore.
edit on 9-6-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
hang em
shoot em
stick a needle in his eye

those sailors had no clue of what was about to occur wake one day goto work and bam your dead.

murder death kill

and may allah have mercy on his soul

i support the death penality since it happened to americans in a port of call

europeans have no say in the matter.

So, by you, an accusation is the same thing as guilt having been established beyond reasonable doubt, hey?
Correct me if I am wrong, these 'sailors' were military, right? Then dying suddenly should have been something they took into account.
(I'm not saying that makes the bombing of the Cole right, just that had they been civilians, then your emotive statement might make a bit more sense. IMO all American military everywhere should consider themselves to always be legitimate targets.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

yeah all sailors think they will be killed in a friendly port of call.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
It's my opinion that Israel was behind the USS Cole bombing just like they were the USS Liberty.

Something to consider: en.wikipedia.org...

The USS Liberty incident was an attack on a United States Navy technical research ship, USS Liberty, by Israeli Air Force jet fighter aircraft and Israeli Navy torpedo boats, on June 8, 1967, during the Six-Day War.[2] The combined air and sea attack killed 34 crew members (naval officers, seamen, two Marines, and one civilian), wounded 170 crew members, and severely damaged the ship.[3] At the time, the ship was in international waters north of the Sinai Peninsula, about 25.5 nmi (29.3 mi; 47.2 km) northwest from the Egyptian city of Arish.[1][4]

Both the Israeli and U.S. governments conducted inquiries and issued reports that concluded the attack was a mistake due to Israeli confusion about the identity of the USS Liberty.[5] Many of the survivors, in addition a few U.S. diplomats and intelligence officials involved in the incident, continue to dispute these official findings, saying the Israeli attack on the USS Liberty was not a mistake,[6] and it remains "the only maritime incident in U.S. history where [U.S.] military forces were killed that was never investigated by the [U.S.] Congress."[7]

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
Our prisons are too full...might as well. We no longer have the financial means to keep our prisoners in jail, the next best thing is to start hanging the murderers and rapists upon conviction.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 01:44 AM
link   
*SNIP*

I cant believe you had the audacity to actually post that. Well, actually I can given your other American hating posts since you signed up, but I didn't think youd actually stoop to wishing this kind of thing on children/family members of someone you disagree with.

Incredible.. teach him a lesson by advocating violence on his family. Good thing I already know other NZers don't claim you and are quick to point out that you do not speak for them.
edit on 6/10/2011 by Mirthful Me because: Removed Actioned Quote.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage
*SNIP*

I cant believe you had the audacity to actually post that. Well, actually I can given your other American hating posts since you signed up, but I didn't think youd actually stoop to wishing this kind of thing on children/family members of someone you disagree with.

Incredible.. teach him a lesson by advocating violence on his family. Good thing I already know other NZers don't claim you and are quick to point out that you do not speak for them.
edit on 6/10/2011 by Mirthful Me because: Removed Actioned Quote.

Oh so it's you who called the mods on me, and got me threatened with banning!
I simply wished that the poster to whom I was replying would experience what he wished on others, no more no less.
You Americans talk a lot about freedom of speech - pity you don't practice it!
Just want to remind you Americans of all the childfren you've killed in the last 10 years, most recently Ghaddafi's grandchildren.
What other New Zealanders would that be then? I know of only two here, and have no idea of their political views. As for those who 'don't claim (me)', I am utterly indifferent. The vast majority of New Zealanders worship the very ground Americans walk on, only a handful of us don't.
Tough.
There's a reason why anyone with 2 brain cells to rub together fears American foreign policy.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:38 AM
link   
i find it amazing these guys can pull this stuff off.

you know what i mean?

"hey guys, i got a great idea! i'll get the stuff but i need some of you to load the boat and cruise out there waiving to the USS cole!

then BAM!" "oh oh!! pick me!!"

"sounds great boss! when?"

the euro's should stay out of this.

another burial at sea is in order.

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 03:47 AM
link   

edit on 10-6-2011 by Paulioetc15 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join