It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm NOT obsessed with religion.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:30 AM
link   
I tend to post primarily in the Religion-related forums and the Origins forum, so I'm often told that, as an atheist, my participation in these discussions is tantamount to an obsession...which I really don't get, because I actually do have an obsession.

What's my obsession? Filmmaking!

I spend an average of $30 a year on books related to atheism...that amounts to somewhere between 1-3 books a year. I have about 12 books on atheism or somewhat related...I do have slightly more on world religion, but that's because I find the study of religions illuminating for my understanding of cultures and literature and film. Hell, I have more graphic novel

On the other hand, I have 30 feet of shelf space taken up by books on film. Thankfully I find the best deals possible on those books...and then I have my video equipment, which cost more than all of my books put together (150ish feet of shelf space), not to mention the desktop computer that I bought solely for editing, my DVDs and Blu-Rays, and all of the cinema tickets I keep. I spend definitely a lot more on film than I do on atheism.

Granted, I do see a lot of videos on atheism...well, listen more than see, on YouTube...but I tend to be listening to them while going through storyboards or editing or unwinding and playing video games.

But what about all the time I spend discussing it on ATS? Well, I spend a hell of a lot more time watching movies, making shorts, planning shorts, doing University work related to film and video,

If you want to know how obsessed I am with film, just ask me about movie making. Sure, I know a lot about atheism, but that's a hobby/part of my life. I'm trying to make film my career.

So please, stop saying that I'm obsessed with religion. Stop saying that people are obsessed with anything unless you really know them enough to comment on their lives.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
My guess is that people are only coming to that conclusion by what they see of your posts/threads on here! I mean I post once in a blue moon on here now but I still read almost every day, and I have to say that I have seen you pop up a hell of a lot and catch myself thinking 'oh it's you again'.

Saying that though, if a subject interests you and you feel you have a good argument or want to just join in a debate, I say go ahead! it's what this site is for and I would take those comments with a pinch of salt! for every person that thinks you're obsessed i'm guessing there's another that appreciates every single thing you have to say.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
Cool to know that about you even if you are a demon's puppet...mostly kidding, but ALL in good fun.

Filmmaking is my gig & passion as well and I can definitely tell you have the bug. Don't know if you want--or can--link to some of your stuff, but if not maybe you could U2U me a link?

S&F for letting us know you better.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by madnessinmysoul

Thats great man, i only have one question though...

I know this is a rant, but i was wondering...

Why do you care what others say/think about you?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Akragon

Thats great man, i only have one question though...

I know this is a rant, but i was wondering...

Why do you care what others say/think about you?

Because he is obsessed with religion and is definitely going to hell...

I joke Madness.. justa Joke
But hey, who cares what others think anyway? If youre passionate about a subject have at it, but yeah, lots of argument related religion threads, my friend. Lets have some film threads!! I too am a film junkie

edit on 9-6-2011 by Advantage because: spelled a name wrong

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Since I'm kinda in the same boat as Madness, and mostly post in the Origins forum...have to agree with him. The only other forum I regularly post in is the 2012 hogwash forum because it's pretty much a new age religion.

I don't mind people believing in whatever they want...but sadly it influence public policy in an often negative way. I'd like people to base their opinions affecting others (through voting and regular interaction) on objective evidence and rationality rather than irrational beliefs.

That's why I feel like slamming my head on my desk whenever I read nonsense like "if we come from monkeys, why are there still monkeys" in an age where good information is so freely available. Those people vote, and they influence my life by doing so. That's why I try to nudge them (arguably not always in the nicest way) towards thinking rationally on here

posted on Jun, 18 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

The impression i got was that the OP cares about the stereotypes that are promoted by those with the opposite position.

Atheism is a lack of belief. There's no prejudice that comes with Atheism that states you must be obsessed with proving or arguing that "Atheism is true" or that "Atheism is more superior". That would be foolish. And i don't believe the OP is a fool.

edit on 18/6/11 by AtheistAnonym because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Hello madness, and may Peace be upon you.

Spirituality, Philosophy, and Religion are actually my main interests. I am in agreement to many of your threads that appear to be "anti-religious," especially the ones against monotheism.

However, may I ask, "Why are you lobbying so strongly against established religion?"

As I said, I am in agreement to many of your points. I personally started a 'Crusade' against Christianity and Islam. Debates, blogs, discussion, and even started a book. But I halted my efforts when I started thinking "What is my agenda? What am I hoping to achieve?"

I saw religion as a major source of separation, superiority complex issues, belittlement, judgmentalism, polarization, and even hate. I wanted to end separation and help people to unite without a 'Believer vs Non-Believer' bias. So I started attacking the very religions that I once adhered to so reverently.

I discovered that the religious people I were addressing became hostile and angry. That's not what I wanted! Then I remembered that I didn't stop being a Christian because some one made me do it. I didn't stop being a Muslim because someone tried to win an ideological debate with me. If anything, opposition made me trust in the religion even more... an us (believers) versus them (non-believers) mentality. I joined every religion on my own and I left every religion on my own.

Another thing I began to think about was 'foundation.' Do you realize how much love people have for their God or religion? Do you understand that religion has given people extraordinary strength and courage in their most desperate of times? Do you think about the moral guidance people receive from Holy Texts that they might not receive from any place else?

On this point you can argue the death, murder, wars, and tyranny that religion has spawned throughout the centuries. But today I only see one group shouting religious war, and that is the radical Islamic movement funded by the C.I.A. Modern day Islamic extremism was funded and spread by the C.I.A., so take the beef up with them. Maybe you can bring up the child molesters within the Vatican super structure, but then again, I believe these wicked men to be infiltrators, not sheppards of god's flock. The past is the past on all the other issues.

Back to foundations... religion gives many people comfort, encouragement, and peace. I do not want to take that away from people if I can not offer something equal or better in return. What good is it to tear down the religious foundations of individuals if you have no blue prints to rebuild from the debris and destruction you created?" A person that draws courage, hope, comfort, moral guidance, peace, compassion, love, and strength from religion.... you now leave bloodied, confused, and hopeless on the gutter, just to soothe your agenda of fighting religion? You can't destroy people's faith and leave them to die with nothing to hold on to. That is negative karma that you may be inflicting on yourself.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I hope you don't take this as a lecture, belittlement, or holier than thou. I just hope you understand that you are not merely attacking religion, you are attacking the inner sanctuaries of the faithful. You are taking away their joy, and giving them nothing in return. Ask yourself what your agenda is, and is it worth hurting people just to prove they are wrong and you are right? Hope you understand where I'm coming from. Peace be to you.

posted on Aug, 1 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Sahabi

That is negative karma that you may be inflicting on yourself.

That was kind of prophetic, MIMS won't be answering anyone anymore.

I agree, some people just want to tear down, but they don't offer a substantial place to go to fulfill the inbreed need of spirituality.

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue_Jay33
MIMS won't be answering anyone anymore.

interesting... it seems dictators bent on total domination eventually do themselves in. I wonder how many sacrifices of members ATS has made before they did someone supposedly "playing by the rules" in?

imo that equates to $ signs
edit on 3-3-2012 by SisyphusRide because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 3 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
not to mention he did an exquisite job of playing, knowing just where to bend and how to insult people and humiliate them on a stage...

good job ATS!

top topics

join