It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Army, Marine Corps clashing over cammies, gimme a break!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
And this is one of the many reasons I got out of the Military.

www.armytimes.com...

Really? My stuff is better than yours, but you can’t use it. And here I thought we were all on the same team. For once in my lifetime, I hope the Army tells the Marines to shove it. I'm a ol' Army Soldier and love my brothers and sisters in arms.

In-fighting over uniforms? If it works and keeps me from being seen and shot, I’ll wear it.

I miss the good ‘ol days when Reagan made everyone in the military wear BDU’s (in a land environment). That way, anyone who looked at us knew we were all part of the US Armed Forces. One Team.

We are now promoting politicians, rather than leaders.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex

I agree with your post up to here. What does this article have to do with politicians? Maybe I missed that part.

Sure, you have inter-service politics but it's not different than Police forces wanting different badges or different color police cars. The idea is individualism without sacrificing the message it sends.

I think also it is fair that the USMC doesn't want an exact copy. They said other branches can use the MARPAT base, just don't mimic it.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   

www.armytimes.com...

Really? My stuff is better than yours, but you can’t use it. And here I thought we were all on the same team. For once in my lifetime, I hope the Army tells the Marines to shove it. I'm a ol' Army Soldier and love my brothers and sisters in arms.

In-fighting over uniforms? If it works and keeps me from being seen and shot, I’ll wear it.

I miss the good ‘ol days when Reagan made everyone in the military wear BDU’s (in a land environment). That way, anyone who looked at us knew we were all part of the US Armed Forces. One Team.

Marines hated the Army when I was in.. In my opinion, they are retarded brainwashed sickos.. That is why they send them in first. Hear the story how 5 marines fell asleep and an iraqi killed all of them? Before I went active duty I was in the national guard, my unit had a story where they asked the marines before they hit feluja "you guys need help" they laughed and said no, well a couple hours later they were screaming on the radio for help because they were getting F'd up and bit off more than they could chew. I was in an infantry platoon and we had 3-4 ex marines, we get the same exact training, they are just pushed a little harder mentally and a bit physically. In the army we "think". We don't just rush in thinking we are invincible. Not all marines are like that, but the majority I have seen are. But we used to make fun of Navy and Airforce guys though too.. But I can bet your butt that when an A-10 flies over laying down fire with that Gau-8, people don't think that anymore. It is a team effort. Or its pose to be.

BTW, the Marines won the best sniper competition a couple years ago, for the 1st time in 9-10 years..

Deebo

edit on 8-6-2011 by Deebo because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-6-2011 by Deebo because: add

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by isthisreallife

By politicians, I mean that some of our military leaders are more concerned with their OERs & NCOERs, rather than leading troops. It seems to be more prominent these days. Not all, mind you, but still quite a a lot.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by isthisreallife

Yeah its pretty stupid to argue over camo especially since there is much better camo out now than MARPAT. Multicam blends into more enviornments and so does A-Tacs camo. Woodland Camo worked fine in the past and looked much better than the new digital prints. Another good camo that is similar to Woodland Camo but with a few tweeks is British DPM. Seems like too much bickering over outdated, ugly and inefective camo.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

I was in the eighty duece for ten years and we worked closely with the Marines quite often. I always enjoyed working with them. If I needed something for my guys, they provided it if they had it. The Army on the other hand required all sorts of rigmarole.

When the Army switched to the ACU, everyone I knew thought someone was stoned at the time of contract. Everyone seemed to like the Multi-Cam (which is expensive to produce) or the MARPAT. Do the higher ups even listen to the Joes on the ground? Though I think we know the answer to that.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Aliensdoexist

I don't care if it's ugly. It's a combat uniform, it should be effective...but I'm nit-picking.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   

reply to post by Deebo

I was in the eighty duece for ten years and we worked closely with the Marines quite often. I always enjoyed working with them. If I needed something for my guys, they provided it if they had it. The Army on the other hand required all sorts of rigmarole.

When the Army switched to the ACU, everyone I knew thought someone was stoned at the time of contract. Everyone seemed to like the Multi-Cam (which is expensive to produce) or the MARPAT. Do the higher ups even listen to the Joes on the ground? Though I think we know the answer to that.

I got out right as they were issuing the new acu's. Bdu's are sexy! I am not a fag but they are cool, and ladies love them. Listen to joes on the ground? Negative. Iron ranger xray out. *pops smoke*

Deebo

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Camouflage and concealment, they have there purpose and that is to hide your self from those who you wish not to be see by. Used since the days of ninjas, when they wore black to blend in tot he night shadows. Hence Shadow-Warriors.

Any how, it to me depends on the terrain and factors of blending in.

BDUs work best it the forested areas, dessert type two was more useful in the open sandy desserts, as the type one or chocolate chip was perfect for the rocky badlands or barrens. So as long as we can continue to mimic our environment as a chameleon would, I don't see why we can't use that which works best.

Honestly, it is not important as to who has what as it is that we all have the same chance of wining together.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
Camouflage and concealment, they have there purpose and that is to hide your self from those who you wish not to be see by. Used since the days of ninjas, when they wore black to blend in tot he night shadows. Hence Shadow-Warriors.

Any how, it to me depends on the terrain and factors of blending in.

BDUs work best it the forested areas, dessert type two was more useful in the open sandy desserts, as the type one or chocolate chip was perfect for the rocky badlands or barrens. So as long as we can continue to mimic our environment as a chameleon would, I don't see why we can't use that which works best.

Honestly, it is not important as to who has what as it is that we all have the same chance of wining together.

Very true, and the Acu's work great for urban environments. They just don't look as cool as the oldschool bdu's.
That aside, whatever works, works, regardless of how it looks.

1 tip about camo, no matter how good the pattern is, movement defeats any camo.

Deebo
edit on 8-6-2011 by Deebo because: fix

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

Hmmm...urban enviroments. Like this?

picture.funnycorner.net...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   

reply to post by Deebo

Hmmm...urban enviroments. Like this?

picture.funnycorner.net...

Lol, no.. rocks, mountains, white buildings... Nice pic hehe

*edit* Sorry I had to add, remember that bank robber who used a plant to hide his face..

Deebo

edit on 8-6-2011 by Deebo because: fix

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

Nope, but back to Cammies. Now that I'm retired, I can buy what I want to go hunting in and no one can say squat.

I gave all my ACU's to my supply guy. I couldn't stand them.
edit on 9-6-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:04 AM
link   
I always thought it was funny how we wore desert camo and rode around Ramadi all day in loud, green, 7 ton trucks. Like anyone wouldn't notice us.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroReady
I always thought it was funny how we wore desert camo and rode around Ramadi all day in loud, green, 7 ton trucks. Like anyone wouldn't notice us.

Yea my unit had to turn in all their dcu's, I am guessing cause they are giving them to the iraq/afgan army. They also took our old m16-a2's, when we got m4's, and put a lil piece of metal on the safety so that it can only be switched to safe/semi and not burst.

Deebo
edit on 9-6-2011 by Deebo because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-6-2011 by Deebo because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-6-2011 by Deebo because: fix

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
Im sure if they ask nicely we would let you use ours

en.wikipedia.org...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/838accd42ae5.jpg[/atsimg]
You would think that being on the same side would be enough to let them use MARPAT
Why not just let them wear it and give the marines funny hats or something so we know who they are.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/49921bf38caf.png[/atsimg]

edit on 9-6-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by sprocket2cog
Im sure if they ask nicely we would let you use ours

en.wikipedia.org...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/838accd42ae5.jpg[/atsimg]
You would think that being on the same side would be enough to let them use MARPAT
Why not just let them wear it and give the marines funny hats or something so we know who they are.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/49921bf38caf.png[/atsimg]

edit on 9-6-2011 by sprocket2cog because: (no reason given)

I saved that 2nd picture, I shall use it some time in the future. I mean, if we did not have belt-fed machine guns with ammo on links, what would this poor girl wear?

Deebo

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Deebo

Yep its a great picture, and i dont know but for some reason it makes we want to say
"dam you belt fed machine gun, dam you all to hell, you ruined the view"
but thats just the red blooded male talking.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by sprocket2cog
reply to post by Deebo

Yep its a great picture, and i dont know but for some reason it makes we want to say
"dam you belt fed machine gun, dam you all to hell, you ruined the view"
but thats just the red blooded male talking.

Haha yea..

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Deebo

www.armytimes.com...

Marines hated the Army when I was in.. In my opinion, they are retarded brainwashed sickos.. That is why they send them in first. Hear the story how 5 marines fell asleep and an iraqi killed all of them? Before I went active duty I was in the national guard, my unit had a story where they asked the marines before they hit feluja "you guys need help" they laughed and said no, well a couple hours later they were screaming on the radio for help because they were getting F'd up and bit off more than they could chew. I was in an infantry platoon and we had 3-4 ex marines, we get the same exact training, they are just pushed a little harder mentally and a bit physically. In the army we "think". We don't just rush in thinking we are invincible. Not all marines are like that, but the majority I have seen are. But we used to make fun of Navy and Airforce guys though too.. But I can bet your butt that when an A-10 flies over laying down fire with that Gau-8, people don't think that anymore. It is a team effort. Or its pose to be.

BTW, the Marines won the best sniper competition a couple years ago, for the 1st time in 9-10 years..

Deebo

edit on 8-6-2011 by Deebo because: (no reason given)

Cool story bro. I am a Marine yet I am not offended by your comments because you sound like an integrity violator.

Back on topic, I got out just as they were phasing in the new digital camo. I liked the old design better but I must admit that the new digicamo really broke up the outlines on Marines sitting on the side of a hill. I do not see a reason why all the other branches should not use them, Marines use the Army's gear all the time!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join