It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Creeps Me Out

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   

I personally am not even on facebook but apparently because i have friends that are and they have pictures of me on there i am now part of some facial recognition program now as well. that is crazy! i think it is pure BS that i do not even have to have a registered account with this website and still they are finding ways to monitor me.

I've been curious about that bit. I've never used FB and never would in a million years. But I kind of assumed the facial recognition thing would be recognizing people who had already made an account with their own pictures.

Its scary how FB can push people just a LITTLE bit at a time into giving up things they never would have believed they'd give up if you'd asked them just a few years ago. I'm sure most facebook types would say they'll never allow some FB chip to be implanted into their brain.. now. Give it MAYBE three or four years and people will be lining up. Its like everyone just gave up.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by robile

Depends on your entire chart, where the planets fall in each house.......in ways I'm a very a typical Aquarius but I have (as everyone) some unique characteristics. It would take twenty pages to describe my own unique chart, it's which planets fall in which houses, and a whole bunch of other stuff, I'm just beginning to tap into - I'm a long way off from being even a beginning astrologer.

(I'm a odd duck so to speak)

Sun sextile midheaven, I know myself

Moon tine Pluto, My deep meaningful relationship (of 38 years) has meant total absorption, commitment and a soul connection with my mate.........also a bit of the "occult" but occult does not mean witch craft, it means hidden knowledge

Venus triine Uranus, creative, may come off as flaky but sees the big picture, deeper understanding of the totality

Venus trine ascendant, warmth, sincerity, generous and like the finer things of life (champaign taste on a beer budget, yep that's me and if you needed a shirt and I had two, I'de give ya one)

Refined taste in art, literature and music.....yep (see Ground Hog Day movie where Chevy Chase says, "yep, me, me, me :lol

Venus sextile Chiron, Weakness to spend money on finer things in life.......(fine wine, expensive perfume and soaps, books, books and more books.....yep)

Mars trine Uranus, React poorly to others trying to make you confrom, a rebel, a fighter for justice.

Mars sextile chiron, Having the experience of being different (an odd duck) makes one understand those that dance to a different tune than the average person

Jupiter sextile Uranus, upbeat and zany attitude toward life, creative, very different way of looking at situations. Not afraid to do things my own way.

Jupiter trine chiron, Amazing ideas but find it hard to express and implement. Not a ver disciplined person, find it hard to be organized, become so frustrated with trying to be organized and finish projects give in to sensual pleasures

Saturn sextile Pluto, Innate toughness, a survivor - when catastrophe hits you are at your best (hope that's right because I have a feeling we're in for a pretty rough ride in the next few years)

------------- In short each person, astrologically, like the moon affects the tides in the oceans, the planets affect our ley lines, our earth's magnetic grid and that in turn affects each and every person's personality according to their date, time and place of birth.

There are many good books, articles and even programs out there that you can research.

You must consider Planetary positions, planetary aspects, planets in elements and modes etc.

While being a fairly run of the mill Aquarius, I've got a lot of unique aspects, again it would take 20 pages.

I've begun studying my own birth chart and picking it to pieces, however, I have a dear friend that did my birth chart 20 years ago for me and he's been right on the money. Knew things about me, he couldn't possibly have known

Mainly, I care about our planet and hate the way it's being mismanaged. I am exhausted with trying to wake the average sleeping beauty up from this matrix.

I can't even find the word to describe why I do not like Facebook or Twitter, find them both repulsive, and it's based on a gut feeling, just my own little quirk.

Can't vouch for this site as I've had a personal chart done but here's a beginning site to investigate: www.new-astrology.com...

I also feel that putting your real face, your real name and real stuff out there in cyberland endangers you......the less your enemy (and our government at present and those that have the real power do not have our best interest at heart) I have a feeling could use Facebook and Twitter against you.

Face recognition, personal profiling, I don't know but Facebook and Twitter from the beginning just made me cringe, really made me want to stay far away from it................Here at least on ATS we can express ourselves yet remain somewhat hidden.

Again, can't find the words, it's more of a gut feeling that Facebook and Twitter are more than they appear - it's a gathering of information for a database of sorts ...............
just creeps me.

Back 30 years ago, you met someone you could be more friendlier, more open. Times are a changing, our government is becoming more totalitarian.

Be careful giving out information about yourself........even bumper stickers and tee shirts that seem harmless, broadcast your mindset and sometimes that is not good - use caution, you don't know if the information you provide about yourself could one day be used against you and the world is a dangerous place.
edit on 9-6-2011 by ofhumandescent because: my spelling sucks and I'm in a hurry, a lot to do today.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by nottheonlyone

Good reply..........you sound like a really interesting person.

Now, one thing to consider about Facebook and Twitter, hackers..........hackers could even hit ATS
but the less info out there in cyberland with your real name and face the better.

We have a lawyer in our family that works for the state, he is one of the top people in computer fraud/crime........his advice is to never put anything out there at all, he even says me posting on ATS is not wise.

There will come a time (I hope not) when certain information could be used against you in various ways.

Example: Google your name............simply google your name and see how much information is out there on you.

Now my husband's brother (the lawyer) does not have a Facebook, Twitter or any other blogging account, neither does his wife or children. He said at one of our family gatherings, it's a dangerous world out there and any and all information you give out about yourself could be used against you in various ways - either by crooks, the government, stalkers, etc...........so be careful.

Safe journey.

PS: I was suppose to be a Pisces but was born one month premature.
edit on 9-6-2011 by ofhumandescent because: spelling grammar suck

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
U want weird?
My real estate agent was a suggested friend when I do not know anyone she knows.
0 mutual friends

Also many sites sign you in into Facebook without your knowledge, like mainstream news sites

This is happening to me too. I hadn't used my FB account hardly at all after registering a few years ago. Recently I used it once or twice. What really bothers me is that I'm seeing people suggested as friends who have 0 mutual friends, BUT whose name is in my email address book.

So - the question which is really bothering me is whether FB accesses my personal email address book on my pc?

If anyone has an answer to this I'd truly appreciate it. Thanks.
edit on 9-6-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Upthepunx

Oh so right you are, nothing better than a cool summer evening out on the deck or screened in porch with a couple margaritas or red wine flowing, some spinach dip on home made bread, some good friends and talking and star gazing till the wee hours of the morning..............sometimes life is good.

One bad thing about aging, is losing your friends. Some people watch "Twilight" and would give anything to be immortal.

Not me, I've buried several friends and have become very well acquainted with the grim reaper.........anyone ever watch "Dead Like Me". EXCELLENT SERIES that was cancelled too soon.

God, hope the afterlife isn't having to work at "Happy Time"............yuck, no more offices for me. That part of my life is over.

Love this song by Metisse called Boom Boom Ba

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Wanna get even more creeped out?

I accidently put my email address in the Google Search.

Guess what?

POSTS from different forums started popping up!!

I went????????

Try It...

I've never said anything I've regretted on line....OK Sobor anyway.

I'm not worried about failing a background check for a classified government job..
(I'd report what I learned in the new postion on ATS right away..so I don't think I'd pass the secret handshake test)

If you use your email for correspondence with a potencial Employer,they can just google post's, and see "where you stand" on your opinons and politics..

Be aware.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   

PS: I was suppose to be a Pisces but was born one month premature.
edit on 9-6-2011 by ofhumandescent because: spelling grammar suck

That's quite interesting.
I was reading your post above, and saying to myself, but that's me. That's almost exactly me.
But how can that be if I'm Pisces.

Guess now I have the answer.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
reply to post by niceguybob

Starred and you are absolutely correct. I've put up my ATS name and up popped many of my posts.

Some were done after I had had a nice big glass of Merlot so some were just silly "wish I had not said that" kind of post.

But as the world is changing we must all learn to be more careful.

Since JFK died, the world has changed drastically............each decade brings about changes I thought the preceding decade could never happen.

Safe journey.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
If they aren't your friends then I fail to see how that is creepy at all? ... most people use facebook nowdays so it's just a marketing gimick that is more convincing assuming you're logged in.

By the way .. you can be logged into facebook and not even know it.. you have to actively log out or it will keep your session open.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by naught

My understanding from researching is that the street cameras are now being used in conjunction with face recognition software and we are all being monitored, catagorized and put on some data base.

TPTB want control. They want to control each and every one of you..............they hunger for power like our lungs hunger for air.

And they will stop at nothing to achieve that power over everyone, planet wide.

Read the Georgia Guidestones.

I can see why people now wear sunglasses and hoodies in public.

A good movie to watch is Gatica...........very interesting.

Alex Jones was actually arrested for not submitting to a thumb print scan.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

i hear you on that man! i dont mind the internet to an extent but "social networking" sucks a big fat one. people look at me like im a shut in weirdo cause i dont have face book. recently my band started a face book for the band but thats just something you gotta do in this day. It makes me sad cause i remember wrighting REAL letters to bands and conversing with them though snail mail and ordering things from a photo copied catalog. the good old days. Had a real expierence last night. me and a few friends/coworkers watch the burtal strom southern new england got last night. some intense storming going on last night. and hail like i have never seen in this area of the new england. good times REAL TIMES

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Alintaer

Pisces is the last sign. The astrological signs are also names for the progression of time. This relates to astrology but it is a bit hard to explain.. Some astrology books will explain that because Pisces is the last sign we are a little bit of everything.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

I have seen Gatica - good flick.

TPTB definitely want control over us..... over what we buy, what we like, what think even. They do this with money, and they do it for power, the power to control the money.

A good reference is Edward Bernays - you can find a google video about his studies on human behavior and how it relates to the marketing industry.

How does this relate to facebook and this thread - Well basically we have had a recent boom in the industry with the advancement of software that reads, catalogs, sorts and filters our every move on the internet (ok, not every move but many.) They continue to study human behavior only now they can do so on a global scale and target the individual instead of a mass audience.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by pryingopen3rdeye

Thanks for pointing that out! I was just going to post that info. I have a gmail acct. and what really disturbs me is, if I'm reading an email (and it could be personal), I get these 'suggested' pop up ads. The ads are displayed on the right side of my screen, all related to a subject that is within my email! I'm sure you all probably noticed that. Google is evil. As for Facebook, I deleted my acct. months ago. I was getting creeped out too!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
huffpo installed these LSO-Cookies...

advertising.com

ComscoreBeacon

NotRatings SiteConsus

and Quantcast

and one of them is connected to your fb...

read more about the nasty LSO-Cookie, they are EVERYWHERE

and here how toget rid of them (with firefox)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by nottheonlyone
So I am playing around on face book looking at the terms and conditions of the community page set up for fun. (Yeah, I am a total nerd).

I noticed and advertizement for logging in with facebook on other websites. The example it gave was the Huffington post. Ironically enough, I get their e-mails but I have never signed in to that website using facebook.... check out the advertizement.

I was not signed into facebook.

Am I the only one that finds that weird?
edit on 8-6-2011 by nottheonlyone because: (no reason given)

Of course it is creepy.. it is a place for people with no friends to pretend they do have friends and at the same time have all of their info sold to the highest bidder...

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I also think its creepy that they have facial recognition

I didn't realize how creepy it was until I discovered that I was logged in to MANY websites through my facebook and google accounts.

On the bright side, I don't have to remember too many passwords anymore

Just glad I don't do anything illegal - at least not that I'm aware of.... clearly I have no privacy anymore.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by OMsk3ptic

I tell my friends that all the time. I think my exact quote was "Check-in is a rapist's best friend"

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Upthepunx

Nicely put... I wish to but problem is hardly anyone (people in their teens-30s) respond to calls, voicemail, email, snail mail anymore. I've tried a lot and it's a waste of time I've realized. They are all hooked on facebook and texting. Not very personal nor meaningful communications anymore, leaves me unsatisfied and frustrated.

I joined myspace in 2006 after a bad break-up and years of resistance to it. Then facebook in '07 to stay in touch with a hot french guy overseas... both have mostly just annoyed me, the status whores, people who take sexy pictures of themselves, seeing pictures I don't mean to of exes and their new gf on other's pages, events that ppl didn't invite me to. It's so fake too, who has 1,000 friends?! The human brain apparently cannot comprehend more than 150. I had slightly over that so I gave some the ax to keep it real, only probably 5 people talk to me on there much anyway. A few photo stalkers besides. It too is creepy when someone you haven't seen in over 10 years friends you and doesn't even ever send a hello message or like your status. What's the point, friend hoarding?

I guess if one doesn't want to be tied to adverts on the site itself then don't "like" any brand names. I did on "tapatio hot sauce" long ago, sometimes I wonder if they used my pic w/o me knowing. The facial recognition thing is going too far really, and being in cahoots w/ the govt? Letting the police, fbi onto private pages for snooping, not solid warrant? Shutting down groups for free speech, saying something FB doesn't like? Taking down pics of pregnant ladies' bellys and fetus pictures? not cool ditto ditto ditto

I want to leave facebook badly but since I've tried to keep the old school communication ways going with no luck, I've prolonged my quit day for a few more months. I'm thinking that if people want to get in touch with me then they should take down my # or email when I do leave FB and I won't try so hard I suppose.

Another reason haven't quit yet... I read somewhere that although one can de-activate account, all the personal info is still there, facebook keeps it! If anyone knows how to really delete it for good, please share, I guess they make it tricky?

Let's all of us start a movement to boycott facebook or protest on a certain day against their privacy policies. I'd hate to think of that site going strong another 5 years. I'd have thought it'd be going downhill by now but not so sure it is. I know many of us are fed up but enough to start doing something about it?

edit on 6/9/2011 by moogle because: typo

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by nottheonlyone

We're all victims of what's known as 'Targeted Advertising'. Google being the major founder of this technique has been developing it for years.

So what is targeted advertising?

Websites, such as facebook, will present the user with advertisements related to terms gathered from their input data, where it be a 'google search' or a 'facebook status update'.

You will not need to be logged in as they are algorithmically assigned to your device's MAC address and I.P address.

I am studying this area as well as a variety of other areas in University and we have been warned about the dangers of facebook... I think that involves an entirely different thread for discussion. Let's just say you are right to feel 'weirded out' by this.

Best regards,

Mike.
edit on 6/9/2011 by Shuzitzu because: Correction of a typing error.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join