It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

48% of Americans think a Great Depression is coming within a year

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Well duh. Thing is, 52% are drinking the kool aid or too busy with dancing with the stars to notice.

CNN: 48% believe a Great Depression is coming within a year

Alternate headline: Great Depression worries go mainstream. I guess we can count Barack Obama among the 51% who aren’t worried about it, since he’s not even worrying about a double-dip recession. CNN’s latest poll shows an almost even split between Americans who expect a big collapse within a year, and, er, Americans who aren’t quite as worried about it:

President Barack Obama’s overall approval rating has dropped below 50 percent as a growing number of Americans worry that the U.S. is likely to slip into another Great Depression within the next 12 months, according to a new national poll.

The three-point difference makes this a dead heat within the margin of error. Moreover, this is the most pessimistic survey result we’ve seen on the subject. In 2008, only 38% expected another Great Depression, which rose to 41% in 2009 shortly after Obama took office. In the two years of the Obamanomics recovery, it’s jumped seven points — which shows just how effective people believe Obamanomics to be.

A severe contraction is coming, no matter what happens early august.

Technical default : very very very bad. (bad all around)
Cutting deficit to 0 : very very very bad, GDP drop of about 12-15% in the first year. (remember the 2008 recession was a 3% contraction)
Continuing to spend like there's no tomorrow : very very very bad... but not immediately.

Anyway it goes, it won't be pretty.

The Next Financial Crisis Will Be Hellish And It’s On Its Way

“There is definitely going to be another financial crisis around the corner,” says hedge fund legend Mark Mobius, “because we haven’t solved any of the things that caused the previous crisis.”

Duh.

U.S. funding for future promises lags by trillions

The federal government's financial condition deteriorated rapidly last year, far beyond the $1.5 trillion in new debt taken on to finance the budget deficit, a USA TODAY analysis shows.

The government added $5.3 trillion in new financial obligations in 2010, largely for retirement programs such as Medicare and Social Security. That brings to a record $61.6 trillion the total of financial promises not paid for.

And of course you stop funding any of this and riots will occur.

Carville: 2012 could be ‘very rough’ for Obama, says civil unrest ‘imminently possible’
Duh.
edit on 8-6-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
So what then after the Great Depression? Martial Law? Second American Civil War? etc.?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by starwarsisreal

I think that is where the saying ..... S.H.T.F. comes into play....

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
So what then after the Great Depression? Martial Law? Second American Civil War? etc.?

Read a history book. What happened after the last Great Depression? Not alot, there was no Martial Law and no second Civil War so why do you think it would happen now.

I know alot of people here are hoping for that but it's just not gonna happen.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Except the situation now is very different. People know who did this to them. The FED, the bankers and Washington DC.

Not to mention the police state putting the pressure on everybody.

People are very very very very pissed. It only takes one big event to release that anger.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I will agree with and say Yes people are pissed. But I think more than pissed we are all scared. Fear does strange things to us all.
Please explain what you mean when you say "Police state" Maybe I'm just really tired, but I don't get that.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by kro32

Except the situation now is very different. People know who did this to them. The FED, the bankers and Washington DC.

Not to mention the police state putting the pressure on everybody.

People are very very very very pissed. It only takes one big event to release that anger.

This might surprise you but the majority of the people don't think like ATS members.

Most don't think there is a police state, which there isn't, and people might be frustrated but they are not pissed.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

I think there are alot of people who think like ATS, they just don't know how to express it or they are just afraid to.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

People are not pissed?

Poll finds Americans angry about pretty much everything

A new Newsweek/Daily Beast poll finds that Americans are angry about…pretty much everything. From President Obama to congressional Republicans to even God (who has a 33 percent approval rating), everyone needs to watch out for an angry mob coming their way.

Unemployment is at 9.1 percent, gas and grocery prices are skyrocketing, the housing market is in the dumps, and people aren’t happy. Three quarters of Americans think the country is on the wrong track, and 81 percent say the job market is not where it needs to be. Half of respondents don’t think Obama has a plan to balance the budget, and 58 percent think Republicans aren’t doing their part to balance the budget either.

The poll finds that Americans are being affected by their anger in other parts of life as well. Fifty-six percent are so angry that they can’t even sleep.

Sorry but if you are so pissed you can't sleep, you are REALLY pissed.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
reply to post by kro32

People are not pissed?

Poll finds Americans angry about pretty much everything

A new Newsweek/Daily Beast poll finds that Americans are angry about…pretty much everything. From President Obama to congressional Republicans to even God (who has a 33 percent approval rating), everyone needs to watch out for an angry mob coming their way.

Unemployment is at 9.1 percent, gas and grocery prices are skyrocketing, the housing market is in the dumps, and people aren’t happy. Three quarters of Americans think the country is on the wrong track, and 81 percent say the job market is not where it needs to be. Half of respondents don’t think Obama has a plan to balance the budget, and 58 percent think Republicans aren’t doing their part to balance the budget either.

The poll finds that Americans are being affected by their anger in other parts of life as well. Fifty-six percent are so angry that they can’t even sleep.

Sorry but if you are so pissed you can't sleep, you are REALLY pissed.

There is a difference between being upset and frustrated or angry and being raging out of control. That was the point I was alluding too.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I must say that there is something more then just an economic depression taking place. There is most certainly a mental depression happening.

I agree with vitchello. With everything that has happened in the past 3 (or more) years people are SERIOUSLY PISSED. Where does that leave most? This leaves most with the thought that the only reasoning to the current madness is revolt!

I truly hope there is an alternative (although this seems unlikely). We must do our best to make a life for each of ourselves so that we do not create a hell out of lives which do not deserve to have. Can we focus on those who have made our society hell? I hope so!

-AS-

SnF
edit on 8-6-2011 by AeonStorm because: snf

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AeonStorm
I must say that there is something more then just an economic depression taking place. There is most certainly a mental depression happening.

I agree with vitchello. With everything that has happened in the past 3 (or more) years people are SERIOUSLY PISSED. Where does that leave most? This leaves most with the thought that the only reasoning to the current madness is revolt!

I truly hope there is an alternative (although this seems unlikely). We must do our best to make a life for each of ourselves so that we do not create a hell out of lives which do not deserve to have. Can we focus on those who have made our society hell? I hope so!

-AS-

Believe it or not but America has gone through far rougher times than we going through today. Certainly there are serious issues we have to deal with but every generation has had them. And each generation had people claiming that government is out of control and the collapse of the country is about to happen yet were still here.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Originally posted by AeonStorm

-AS-

Believe it or not but America has gone through far rougher times than we going through today. Certainly there are serious issues we have to deal with but every generation has had them. And each generation had people claiming that government is out of control and the collapse of the country is about to happen yet were still here.

I know to which time you are referring to Kro ... But can you point out a time (which we have not yet lived through) that is pressing for such a global change? World wide :S

Can you honestly NOT say that what we are currently about to experience what is known as the NWO? It seems to me the dollar is being defeated to bring in something more 'global'... You do see the reason behind what is going on regarding the finances of the USA right?

If you can convince me otherwise please do so!

-AS-

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Believe it or not but America has gone through far rougher times than we going through today.

You are right. Difference is, most people today are pussies. Most people today don't know squat about anything outside their xbox, internet, jersey shore...

People in the past knew a lot of things. They were independent. They had useful education. A lot of the population lived off the land.

Let's say oil was not to make it in the US anymore or heavily rationed... or electricity cut... it would be total anarchy in cities.

Back in the day, people had always food provisions, today? Mwahahaha.

Today's world and America's past are very different, you cannot compare the two, not by a long shot.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by kro32

Ha! In 1929 there also wasn't the Patriot Act, unaccountable network of CIA-TSA-DHS spying on citizens, FEMA camps, state supreme courts invalidating the 4th Amendment, or swat teams raiding student loan delinquents. I'm happy you are optimistic, but some might be so bold as to call this type of thinking naive.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Foreclosures to be worse in 2011

NEW YORK — The bleakest year in foreclosure crisis has only just begun. Lenders are poised to take back more homes this year than any other since the U.S. housing meltdown began in 2006. About 5 million borrowers are at least two months behind on their mortgages and more will miss payments as they struggle with job losses and loans worth more than their home's value, industry analysts forecast. "2011 is going to be the peak," said Rick Sharga, a senior vice president at foreclosure tracker RealtyTrac Inc. The firm predicts 1.2 million homes will be repossessed this year by lenders.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

Food Stamps to be cut

Congress Mulls Cuts to Food Stamps Program Amid Record Number of Recipients
More than 44.5 million Americans received SNAP benefits in March, an 11 percent increase from one year ago and nearly 61 percent higher than the same time four years ago.

Nearly 21 million households are reliant on food stamps.

blogs.abcnews.com...

Medicaid to be cut

Health care for the poor is in trouble and so are the states that are charged with providing an increasing share of it. As federal aid to states from the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 is phased out, most states have been forced to curb Medicaid, the federal-state program that provides health care for the poor and disabled. Despite his strong rhetorical support for Medicaid, President Barack Obama's 2012 budget proposes to reduce the federal share of the program by more than $6 billion.

www.politicsdaily.com...

The REAL unemployment rate is about 18%

For example, the official rate counts only those not working who have seriously tried to find a job in the last four weeks. That rate, the aforementioned 9.4%, does not include those working temporary jobs, who are doing so only because they cannot find permanent employment. The official rate also precludes those working part-time jobs who would want full-time work, if it were available. Finally, this so-called official rate does not count those who are no longer looking for work as they sense that there are no opportunities out there for them. When those several categories are added to the official 9.4% rate, the cumulative total is probably closer to 18%--or just under one in five Americans who want full time, permanent employment, who are unable to secure such work, at present.

With REAL UMEMPLOYMENT rates at 18%, and all the Federal program cuts to help these people, along with low income earners, I'd say we are in trouble.

I hate to say it, but I think the first step is to cut all programs to illegal immigrants. Free food, free healthcare etc.
Take care of our own first.

I live in a rural area, and I know for a fact there are alot of illegals working for less money "under the table" who don't pay taxes, qualify for for welfare programs because their pay is not reported. Saves the employer money... by paying less wages and employer taxes. But at the same time it is costing us higher unemployment of Americans, more in food stamps and medicaid, for both the unemployed and illegals.

It really sucks when the illegals drive nice cars, carry a wad of cash in their pockets (they can't get bank account of course), and use food stamps and medicaid, when the regular residents are struggling for housing and food while working their tails off to provide THEM a better life.

I hope I don;t sound prejudiced here, because I am not. I feel it is UNFAIR for them to take our jobs, not to report income, then get free food and medical care and housing coupons etc.The illegals have it better than we do, and we are paying for it. I think that is a big part of where our problems begin.

If they are here illegally, send them home. Don't give them free food and free medical care and free housing, so they can take our jobs and pay no taxes too.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I live off the land and i love my Xbox/Computer and im well versed in history, not the point im originally getting at, but that number should be higher, almost everyone in the military thinks that times are going to be rough ever since Admiral Mullen , said that pay cuts were on the table, i would say things are looking quite bleak

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
So these Same 1,000 Americans who are very much pro american government, and who were in favor of bombing Libya are now thinking Great Depression is coming within a year, these same 1000 people contacted by CNN Pollsters have been always contacted by CNN for pretty much on single issues.

Yet america has over 300 Million people, i do believe a Great Depression is coming but i wouldn't let polls to decide that.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I certainly am there...but is it pissed or stressed? I thought I wasn't sleeping because of stress, but I did notice I have been a lot more angrier lately, but is that lack of sleep? Jees...I also can relate to God's approval rating lol...did they really say that? So God has a lower approval rating than Obama that's really hard to believe!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
I've been fairly certain that collapse was imminent for some time. Now, with so many thinking a depression will occur in the next year, I'm fairly certain they'll figure out how to kick the can down the road a little further. Somehow when the masses start to think something will happen... it doesn't.

Vitchilo is right about the different circumstances that exist today. Not only are people incapable of taking care of themselves, they've been conditioned to be dependent. When support is no longer there, there will be riots because too many don't know any other way and hunger is a powerful motivator.

I'm with Serenity on the god statistic. Thought just the same thing... a lower rating than Obama? That's really sad and says an awful lot about the state of the world.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join