It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Roundup Birth Defects: Regulators Knew World's Best-Selling Herbicide Causes Problems

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Roundup Birth Defects: Regulators Knew World's Best-Selling Herbicide Causes Problems

www.huffingtonpost.com

Industry regulators have known for years that Roundup, the world's best-selling herbicide produced by U.S. company Monsanto, causes birth defects, according to a new report released Tuesday. But despite such warnings, and although the European Commission has known that glyphosate causes malformations since at least 2002, the information was not made public. Instead regulators misled the public about glyphosate's safety. German government body dealing with the glyphosate review, told
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.huffingtonpost.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

the European Commission that there was no evidence glyphosate causes birth defects.

Hearing about the government colluding with the huge agribusiness industry sure is nothing new to me. Congress is just a whorehouse. The people shouldn't rely on a corrupt government watching out for their safety. Yet, they are not honest with themselves and continue life as if everything is just fine. They even go along with government propaganda of evil abroad when far from reality evil is right here at home. Do I blame Monsanto, sure, but I really blame the people for letting it happen. Why do I blame the people? Well, for one, the fools they call government are just really representatives. Yet, they allow these fools to craft laws that is not in the interest of the people.

This is an article from www.globalresearch.ca... about the effect GMO crops has on human.

A major new scientific study has confirmed growing conviction that the world’s most widely used chemical herbicide, Monsanto Corporation’s Roundup is toxic and a danger to human as well as animal organisms. .... Carrasco presented his group’s findings at a press conference during the 6th European Conference of GMO Free Regions in the European Parliament in Brussels. He stated, “The findings in the lab are compatible with malformations observed in humans exposed to glyphosate during pregnancy.”

Widespread reports of human malformations began to be reported in Argentina beginning 2002, two years after widespread aerial spraying of Roundup and planting of RR Soybeans was begun. The test animals used by Carrasco’s group share similar developmental mechanisms with humans. The authors concluded that the results “raise concerns about the clinical findings from human offspring in populations exposed to Roundup in agricultural fields.” Carrasco added, “The toxicity classification of glyphosate is too low. In some cases this can be a powerful poison.”

Remember, Congress will only listen when the people gather and demand their servants to do as follow. The power is in people's hand because congress is a whorehouse.

www.huffingtonpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 8-6-2011 by MIDNIGHTSUN because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Corruption runs deep.

There have been reports here and there over years about this sort of thing. Mostly conjecture and speculation now it seems the ugly truth is finally seeing the light of day.

You blame the people? Fine so be it... but I would go after Monsanto's Scientist/Engineers and CEOs who knew it the whole time and still pushed for it's sales.

edit on 8-6-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:52 PM
link   
so when my wife gets Pregnant i know i wont be using any round up for 9 months.

back to the hands and knees for pulling weeds
edit on 8-6-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by camaro68ss

so funny man.... you are a shame for mankind. Even if its meant sarcastic.

BTT: Its rediculous how governments are holding the wealth for the industries higher then their peoples health

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Man the day IS coming. That's all I'm saying on that.

I agree, OP, that we as a collective have a lot to be ashamed of and are experiencing the wages of our apathy.

So I'm repenting. Man the day IS coming.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
It's not congress that is a whore... it's career politicians cultivated, nurtured, and promoted by the Mega-corporation's favorite toy.. the popular media.

But you probably all know that already.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
None of the large company weed-killers work on anything in my garden...i usually rely on pulling by hand...i have tried getting a soluble powder plant food mixing it to maximum soluble strength and spraying it on leaves. It's mixed results so far...spray it on the weed leaves only, on a hot sunny day...it results in scorching the leaves and won't poison anything...works fast too. If the weed is near anything you want to keep in the garden, get a plastic bottle, cut a hole in it, cloche the weed and spray the leaves of the weed through the hole in the bottle and leave the bottle in place until the weed is suffering. Once the leaves are dry, remove to the compost heap. I'm only guessing that it would be ok to crumble them in place straight onto the soil, because my first batch of weeds are still scorched and in place in the garden still

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by verschickter

BTT: Its rediculous how governments are holding the wealth for the industries higher then their peoples health

O shush you mouth noob, your rude comments are un called for.

And regarding government protecting industries, well that’s government for you

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Round up is a dirty word at my house. I hate round up. I never buy a bottle and leave it sitting around, because my husband will take it and use it to weed my flower beds. I can't tell you how many exotic plants he has killed over the last twenty years in my flower beds. It also ruins the soil in that spot for a long while. I just keep going out with his money and have to replace items every year.The over spray kills anything it touches dead, the run off in the rain kills other things dead. So yes, it is a toxic killing chemical for sure. Never weed your flower bed with round up that is just so stupid. Bend over, get dirty, and pull those weeds! Makes sure you know it's a weed first though. Good Grief!
I am now to the point where I rinse the bottles out really well, when he buys the stuff. In the gravel driveway. Then fill up with water and vanilla for a scent. So, he thinks he is spraying out weed killer. I told him last time he killed off my plants I was going to spray a word in his grass if he doesnt stop his compulsive lazy behavior.
edit on 8-6-2011 by frugal because: sp

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
This isn't that shocking.

Most regulators are lawyers or employees of the corporations that work in the industries that they're suppose to regulate.

They call 'em ``captured regulators`` and it's a huge problem.
edit on 8-6-2011 by Rockdisjoint because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
Following is a report from 2003 where the Danish regulators banned the substance, and there was an OUTCRY of UNFAIRNESS by Monsanto and the likes!

Danish glyphosate restrictions draw protests Environment Daily no. 1457, Jun 5, 2003 Danish environment minister Hans Christian Schmidt has announced unprecedented restrictions on glyphosate, the country's and Europe's most widely used herbicide. The action follows publication of data showing the chemical's presence in groundwater, from which Denmark obtains most of its drinking water. Although concentrations in drinking water did not exceed permissible limits, it was "worrying" that unacceptable quantities of glyphosate and its breakdown product AMPA might build up via drainage in the uppermost levels of groundwater, Mr Schmidt said. "Danes should be able to put the coffee on in the morning without worrying about pesticides", he added. From 15 September, autumn spraying of glyphosates will be banned on sites "where leaching is extensive because of heavy rain". There are a number of exceptions to the new restrictions, which are subject to revision after an interim consultation period. In a joint response, Cheminova, Syngenta and Monsanto, which manufacture or sell glyphosate in Denmark, condemned the government's move as "unacceptable" for the producers or Danish farmers. Glyphosate could only be identified as a threat by ignoring "scientific findings and knowledge", they said. According to the firms, the restrictions appeared to be based on finding of glyphosate at one metre's depth in the soil. This "can hardly - and only with the most narrow political intentions - be regarded as groundwater, and certainly not as drinking water", they complained.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
so when my wife gets Pregnant i know i wont be using any round up for 9 months.

back to the hands and knees for pulling weeds
edit on 8-6-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

I am not too sure why you see this as humorous in regards to a child in the womb. However, you should know that if you have ever used Round-up, it is suspended in your soil! Unless, of course, it has entered the ground water table, otherwise there it will sit waiting for you!

Edit to add: So I do not seem like a jerk and spout out at you, please accept my deepest wishes that you have a healthy child! You can use household vinegar or boiling water on those weeds!
edit on 6/8/2011 by Greensage because: to offer some form of solice

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
Hmm...OP loks like selective reporting and scaremongering headline - the "knowledge" referred to is birth defects in LABORATORY ANIMALS - not one is reported for humans.

The report, "Roundup and birth defects: Is the public being kept in the dark?" found regulators knew as long ago as 1980 that glyphosate, the chemical on which Roundup is based, can cause birth defects in laboratory animals.

not that I'm saying that exposure to herbicids is a good thing - indeed I agree with the Huffpost report that teh dangers look like hteyhave been downplayed and delaying a review of het substance is a bad idea - also IMO it should be avoided as a matter of principle (I use generic GP myself) - but the report as presented here sems deliberately sensationalist.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

Ummm, you do know why they do the lab experiments on animals, don't you?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

If it is found to defect animal embryos. I would have though that their was a probility it would defect human embryos too

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss

Originally posted by verschickter

O shush you mouth noob, your rude comments are un called for.

And regarding government protecting industries, well that’s government for you

First, dont call me noob. second, your comment was uncalled, too. And your comment about government is also senseless.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

There is also a link between the commercial farm level use of Roundup and the frequency of Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma...
...but you won't have heard much about that either.

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by MIDNIGHTSUN

The treated embryos were highly abnormal with marked alterations in cephalic
and neural crest development and shortening of the anterior-posterior (A-P) axis. Alterations on neural
crest markers were later correlated with deformities in the cranial cartilages at tadpole stages. Embryos
injected with pure glyphosate showed very similar phenotypes. Moreover, GBH produced similar effects
in chicken embryos, showing a gradual loss of rhombomere domains, reduction of the optic vesicles, and
microcephaly. This suggests that glyphosate itself was responsible for the phenotypes observed, rather
than a surfactant or other component of the commercial formulation.

This means that Roundup causes brain and facio-cranial deformities, including microcephaly.
One study

posted on Jun, 12 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
Hmm...OP loks like selective reporting and scaremongering headline - the "knowledge" referred to is birth defects in LABORATORY ANIMALS - not one is reported for humans.... but the report as presented here sems deliberately sensationalist.

So if doing experiments on Lab Animals doesn't mean anything and is worthless to science- why do companies and company toadies attack animal lovers who are calling for an end to testing on Lab Animals?

That is what you are saying- that every experiment done using Lab Animals to determine safety for use by humans is a complete waste of time and resources and means absolutely nothing.

Really?

top topics

join