It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tattoo Magic... Can It Really Work? Read Here...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
A BRIEF COVERAGE OF TATTOOS...

I've heard of tattoos being used by Russian mafia as a sort of permanent ranking system. The more people you kill, the more errands you run, the more you prove yourself, you get tattoos that signify your standing, and such tattoos allow you into deeper areas of the organization, or more access. They are kept secret so that no one could forge them in order to fool the organization. When people with these tattoos die, the organization skins them, burns them or otherwise renders the tattoos unrecognizable. On rare occassion, a mafia member might die before this can be accomplished, and when authorities recover the bodies, they get a peek into a strange, dark world of body art.

The Japanese Yakuza (their version of the mafia) do the same, except the tattoos are truly works of art. Usually, the Yakuza member ultimately has every tattoo-able part of his body (save for the face, hands/fingers and perhaps genitals) covered in elegant, fierce and colorful art that is straight from Japanese woodblock prints (similar to the master artist Hokusai).

Of course, there are countless examples of tattooing cultures, from Polynesian tribal tattoos to the African steppes and South America. Tattooing is something humanity has brought from prehistory into modern times. Tattoo parlors are prevalent all over the world. They have seen a dramatic increase in popularity in since the early 90s. However, even that popularity has spiked in the last several years. There are now tattoo parlors in our malls. Piercings have also increased, but that's another topic.

Now, why post a tattoo topic on ATS? Because some people believe that CERTAIN TATTOOS ARE MAGICAL. Some tattoos are said to have magical properties. Here is an excerpt from a recent article covering the subject:

Magic happens – just ask Phnom Penh tattooist Chan Tra. The 47-year-old is one of the few Cambodian artists still able to ink magical designs on customers.

Before taking to the needle, however, he needs to pray in the ancient Pali language, the traditional language of Theravada Buddhist scripts across much of southeast Asia.

“It depends on our belief. If we believe that a tattoo is magical, it will have a supernatural force to protect us. But if we don’t believe that it has magic, it won’t show us its mysterious power at all,” says Chan Tra, whose customers also include foreigners.

However, his overseas clients tend to prefer decorative images such as temples, buildings or flags, he explains, while his main clientele for magic tattoos are Cambodian.

These normally feature pictures of animals such as tigers, along with scripts written in Pali, an ancient cousin of Sanskrit often used to communicate Buddhist texts.

See the entire article: www.phnompenhpost.com...

Apparently Wiccans use magical tattoos as well, and that is news to me. I have heard of them employing magics, but not tattoo magic. Here's an excerpt from Wikipedia:

Yantra tattooing, also called sak yant (Thai: สักยันต), is a form of sacred tattooing practiced in Southeast Asian countries including Cambodia, Laos, and Thailand. The practice has also began to grow in popularity among Chinese Buddhists in Singapore. Sak means "to tap [tattoo]", and yant, derived from the Sanskrit word yantra, means "sacred geometrical design."Sak yant designs are normally tattooed by wicha (magic) practitioners and Buddhist monks, traditionally with a long bamboo stick sharpened to a point (called a mai sak) or alternatively with a long metal spike (called a khem sak).

So, your thoughts, opinions? Does anyone here at ATS sport neat tattoos? Feel free to share them here. Does anyone at ATS sport MAGICAL tattoos? IF SO PLEASE SHARE THEM WITH US and explain the magical powers. Or, please share any images of magical tattoos (and their powers) even if you aren't sporting them. Any anecdotes or tattoo stories?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
I met a Hells Angel who sported 13 tear tattoos on his arm, he said each tear represented a man he killed. The magic would be the intimidation he evoked in me. Warrior tats only have effect if the intention of violence lies in the heart, the willpower to fuel mayhem is the power of the Warrior thus the connection between what is carved into skin would reflect power in the soul, if one sees it that way that is.

Most people get tattoos for aesthetic reasons without caring of the spiritual implications that the act carries.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by GhostLancer

I actually have a pair of bind runes (from the futhark traditions) on my shoulders. Don't think that I could name a specific magickal effect they've ever displayed, but they do look neat even should they be just ink. Though, come to think of it, the coloring has held up phenomenally well. They're 17 years old and look like I got them last year.

*shrug*

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stunspot

I actually have a pair of bind runes (from the futhark traditions) on my shoulders. Don't think that I could name a specific magickal effect they've ever displayed, but they do look neat even should they be just ink. Though, come to think of it, the coloring has held up phenomenally well. They're 17 years old and look like I got them last year.

*shrug*

Hey, we never really know. Symbols represent things to people. There is a power in that. If nothing else, someone who gets a tattoo might feel more confident, expressive and *empowered* internally. Having that little bit extra confidence in one's self might be the difference between landing a date with that attractive gal or securing a job. Either way, these victories can have potentially LIFE CHANGING results that may never have been anticipated. So, if that is the only magic in a tattoo, at least it's a good kind of magic.

As far as "real magic" goes... I suppose only those who get those special tattoos can be the judge, depending on their personal experiences.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Magic happens – just ask Phnom Penh tattooist Chan Tra. The 47-year-old is one of the few Cambodian artists still able to ink magical designs on customers. Before taking to the needle, however, he needs to pray in the ancient Pali language, the traditional language of Theravada Buddhist scripts across much of southeast Asia. “It depends on our belief. If we believe that a tattoo is magical, it will have a supernatural force to protect us. But if we don’t believe that it has magic, it won’t show us its mysterious power at all,” says Chan Tra, whose customers also include foreigners. However, his overseas clients tend to prefer decorative images such as temples, buildings or flags, he explains, while his main clientele for magic tattoos are Cambodian. These normally feature pictures of animals such as tigers, along with scripts written in Pali, an ancient cousin of Sanskrit often used to communicate Buddhist texts.
I only have a flower tattoo I knew I should have researched it a bit more!Maybe something that would have helped me win the lottery,oh well I can always get another.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TWILITE22

Magic happens – just ask Phnom Penh tattooist Chan Tra. The 47-year-old is one of the few Cambodian artists still able to ink magical designs on customers. Before taking to the needle, however, he needs to pray in the ancient Pali language, the traditional language of Theravada Buddhist scripts across much of southeast Asia. “It depends on our belief. If we believe that a tattoo is magical, it will have a supernatural force to protect us. But if we don’t believe that it has magic, it won’t show us its mysterious power at all,” says Chan Tra, whose customers also include foreigners. However, his overseas clients tend to prefer decorative images such as temples, buildings or flags, he explains, while his main clientele for magic tattoos are Cambodian. These normally feature pictures of animals such as tigers, along with scripts written in Pali, an ancient cousin of Sanskrit often used to communicate Buddhist texts.
I only have a flower tattoo I knew I should have researched it a bit more!Maybe something that would have helped me win the lottery,oh well I can always get another.

LOL... Hey, there was a slogan from the 1960s/70s: "FLOWER POWER." Who knows, if it hadn't been for "Flower Power," maybe the Earth would have been a *cinder* decades ago, the result of the Cold War. And that is the thing about such powers: we don't know when they are successful. Say you get a tattoo that PREVENTS DEATH from unnatural causes. You really won't know if it works until you bite the proverbial dust. Even further, the confidence instilled by such a tattoo (and the belief in it) might just get you out of situations you might otherwise have perished in.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
This is on my left shoulder. I will let you attempt to figure its energy pattern. The Runes at the top say AGARTA.

edit on 9-6-2011 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Tattoos can be symbols of alchemy. Having transmutation symbols permanently inked into your blood has it's unique attributes.

The "magic" really only comes from what people think of the tattoo and how you face other peoples' perceptions.

For instance, if you have a Vancouver Canucks tattoo, I'm sure you're going to feel a huge boost from it at this point in time if you're from BC since most people are suffering from Canucks hysteria.

Though for me, my tattoos certainly have much more meaning... Let's just say that they can serve as spirit armor when and if the need is there

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Anything can be magical and used in spells, once you understand what it actually is.

Magic is not really supernatural, nor does it invoke mystical spirits or anything of the sort. Be wary of anyone who claims that it does. Maybe I'll add some of my tattoos to the discussion but I'll have to mull over it for a while.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I've been talking about getting a tattoo for years now and I finally found the one that I want to be my first tat. The thing is, I had to draw it myself...and it's perfect. I never just wanted a tattoo for the sake of getting inked, even though I find them beautiful works of art (well, some of them) lol. The art that I will get is very personal and every image that is included has meaning and represents one of the most difficult times in my life. Do I think my tat will have magical properties? I'm not sure, but it will defintely hold some of my history and I have a feeling that I will find strength and pride in it. I guess that can be considered magical too...

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Agarta: Thanks for sharing; however, for me at least, I only see a tiny white box with a red X in it. Maybe try posting a jpeg? Either way, thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Dimitri Dzengalshlevi: Very true, spirit armor. Symbols are very powerful, even if a person doesn’t quite understand the meaning of the symbol. Take the swastika, for example. It’s an ancient, mystical symbol of Sanskrit origin. Hitler and the Nazis took it, reversed it and employed it as their banner. To this day, someone who has that symbol tattooed on him/her… well, it has a power all its own, and it’s not necessarily a good one. In fact, such a person would be ostracized by most of society, out of hate-group circles. For the most part, in modern America, having that symbol prominently inked onto your body would taint most reactions from “normal” people. That is a kind of power, albeit negative. On the flip-side, having any kind of generic “caring” symbol on you might garner different reactions. And maybe that is the power: we unconsciously react to certain images and symbols. And, the images/symbols we adorn ourselves with influence others. Yet, can there be, I believe, certain symbols imbued with power –perhaps. I don’t happen to know any, but I also have an open mind and consider it within the realm of possibility. And, that might be the trick to magic: you have to have faith in it –in order for it to work.

Goathief: I suppose if we consider that everything “solid” around us is comprised of mostly NOTHING that is VIBRATING at different frequencies, and we knew how to manipulate those frequencies, it would be magic. In that case, certainly anything could be some kind of magic. Our reality is some wondrous kind of magic, too! Great observation. And, then there is also the famous quote by Arthur C. Clarke: (paraphrased, but close) Any sufficiently advanced technology would seem like magic to those who did not possess it. What if the ancients, or secret societies (or anyone, for that matter) knew/knows ways to unleash and employ magic via symbol writing/carving/inscribing/tattooing? Just because the masses don’t know about it doesn’t mean that it’s not out there.

Abrihetx: I have thought about getting a tattoo for years, but still haven’t gotten one. I’m also a graphic artist, and would only get a tattoo of my own design. I’ve designed tattoos for friends and acquaintances, too. That being said, I’m not knocking anyone who gets a pre-designed one; they’re very good designs! And, tattoos are very personal, just like art: one person’s masterpiece is another person’s shock and horror. For me, since I have the capability to design a tattoo, I could not get anything other than my own creation tattooed onto me. –UNLESS… it were an ancient mystical rune with intended properties or something along those lines. Not saying I’d ever get one or not, just that THAT would be exception to my personal rule. Of course, as I type this, I also realize that I’d probably enjoy some Japanese tattoos done by one of their tattoo masters. I do like your idea of having a living history on your skin, illustrating the challenges you’ve overcome; it’s sort of like hanging the skin of a lion (or whatever) you might have killed in self defense on your wall as a token of your victory.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
i believe magic is everywhere,even in a tattoo...the important thing is faith, each person must design his/her own magic tattoo,find his/her magic stone..magic song..you must not copy or borrow your magic,first imagine it then create it!..it would be useless for me to say which is my magic stone..it works only for me
/or a tattoo..
what makes magic is our faith in it,without it magic cannot exist,thats why not everybody can perceive it,lack of faith,lack of imagination,lack of power to create...and if sth cannot be tought or described that is faith
i dont know why some pple have tones of faith and others none..and its not about having an easy or tough life
and there is another thing about magic:they all say once you discovered it you have to be quiet about it,cause if u chose to share you will not be believed or mocked upon,second..everybody must find their own path towards magic,without any help,(there are no identical paths)so talking about it becomes useless...
tattoos...amulets..rings..whatever makes u feel stronger works.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
Yes, My dad has these "Yants" or magic tattoo's all over his body. As a person coming from a father who practices Buddhist black magic these tattoo's are very beautiful but it is very real when it says it's a supernatural force that will protect your self or someone. Getting these tattoo's is a painstaking process for the Monk uses the traditional way for putting on that tattoo, which is very painful. The process of putting on that tattoo is also a very mystical experience.

From my first hand experience of these tattoo's are Sak Yants this is real stuff. Look into if your interested, it really does no harm, for most sak yants are used for protection such as bullet, spirit protection and etc.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Withallmylove: Well-put. Faith is an engine to magic. In fact, it seems to be an essential ingredient for almost every worthwhile endeavor. In fact, in vampire movies and lore, Christian crosses and holy water only work on them because of the Faith employed by the wielder/user. Yes, I know, that is a movie example. But, here’s a real world example: Voodoo (or other forms of ) curses. It is said that they only work if you BELIEVE. Don’t believe that you can be harmed, and you will not. –Not by magic anyways. In Voodoo, “witch doctors” are said to employ powerful poisons with various effects, and that zombies are nothing more than drugged victims.

SparkOfSparks6: I’d never heard of Yants. Thanks!

Thanks to all who have shared. I was hoping to have more responses, but this is still very rich nonetheless. Stars.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 01:08 PM
link   

I do not know why you can not view the pic as it is a jpeg maybe its the energy lol. It shows fine for me.
I uploaded it to my media on ATS and you can view it here...

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/a493ee306376.jpg[/atsimg]

Your description on the swastika is right on and it reminds me of the description in The woman's dictionary of symbols and sacred objects

Symbols are tools in the physical world to remind one of a meaning and vibration. The type of energy created by the beholder is dependent upon the beholders understanding of the symbol. For example the pentacle can be observed in many different meanings thus creating different energies. Some people see the pentacle as satanic, some associate it with wicca, some see it as a balance of the elements plus spirit, others may see it as a representation of the six directions with the void in the center being down. Either way it is either seen as positive or negative creating the energies of enlightenment or fear.

Another example is the + symbol. Depending on who is viewing it and their understanding, it can be seen as a plus symbol or the symbol of Earth, the four directions or even a cross. Any symbol is charged by the "writer" but the energy is either strengthened or scattered by the beholder.

By the way I stated that the runes at the top of my tat say AGARTA. Agarta has two meanings, one is ancient Gaelic meaning Heaven bound the other is an alternate spelling of the civilization of Hollow Earth. As above so below.
edit on 9-6-2011 by Agarta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   

if u want more responses maybe you should start a thread on magic itself..
not only tatoos...i ll cooperate
)

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Agarta

Very nice. Thanks for re-posting it. I also like the link to the symbol dictionary. Good point about how the same symbol can have different meanings to different people. Great example, too.

From the way it is sounding, symbols are pretty much like anything in life, in that their meanings are in the eyes, hearts and minds of the beholders. Maybe you only get as much power from something as you put into it. Two nearly identical people in every way can either succeed or fail depending on whether or not they believe in themselves. So, maybe magic and magical tattoos are only as powerful as the faith that generates them. It would be fantastic to hear from someone who has had one of those "bullet proof" tattoos, --and see if they really work. I also wonder if any service members believe in magical tattoos enough to get something "special" put on them before delploying to a warzone. If so, it would be interesting to see if they had any near misses that are attributed to their tattoo. Some members get their unit symbol and use that for good luck. However, it's not an ancient or mystical symbol geared towards protection.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Goathief

I know what you mean. I would love to show my tats on here, but I don't think ATS is the best place to show off who you really are

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi
reply to post by Goathief

I know what you mean. I would love to show my tats on here, but I don't think ATS is the best place to show off who you really are

LOL... Good point. I hadn't thought of it that way. Well, perhaps it would be safe to describe the tattoos and their personal significance?

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Any medium you choose can be a portal for your consciousness to amplify your human experience.

Otherwise scientifically known as the placebo effect.

There are many tattoos and wielders of them which are empowered with an ancient string of belief stretching back thousands of years. The runes, warrior tattoos, symbols, words of meaning and power.

Words - are - power.

Where do you choose to set the limit? Or do you choose to cast the barriers aside and brand yourself with that intention?

I'm beginning to wonder what has more influence,the ancestral lineage and history of a symbol, or a single persons modern understanding of a symbol, or both intertwined?

I always question people who speak a word or a symbol from an ancient culture.

Do you know what that "means"?

And they say...not really, or give some half baked understanding, they were attracted to its vibration and feeling, but the tree power contained within is its understanding and manipulation whose true meaning is likely lost in the sands of time.

Lots to think about...

Wait what did I say?? Err yes...*Ats face* Placebo...Placebo...*coughs*

-GM

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join