It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rumblings along New Madrid: 4.2 magnitude earthquake rattles E. Missouri

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:26 PM
link   
just thought this was interesting but dont know how to post off site content but il paste and put my source at the bottom

A minor earthquake shook southeast Missouri early today (Tuesday), according to the U.S. Geological Survey.

The quake, which occurred at 3:10 a.m., measured at a magnitude of 4.2. It was recorded 14 miles east-southeast of Sullivan, Mo.

Citizens reported feeling the quake in various towns in Illinois and across Missouri, including Jefferson City, Holts Summit, Camdenton, Eldon, Freeburg, Hermann, Ashland, Springfield and St. Louis.

Jefferson City Police Department personnel reported feeling the quake at the police station at McCarty and Monroe Streets.

Numerous calls were received at the city's 911 center with people saying they felt it or saying it sounded like thunder.

www.newstribune.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   
dont know if it has affected the new madrid fault or not but thats why i posted it to let those that know about this kinda thing have a look at it

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
Someone from my town posted on USGS site that they felt it here... I of course was asleep, but the funny thing is... I had to leave work early yesterday... I told my boss that I was very light headed and felt like I had been on a boat bobbing up and down all day... I had to go home and lay down... a connection? Who knows, but I don't like it either way!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
S & F

This made the local (Memphis) news tonight. I don't think any Memphians felt any tremors, but they did say that movement was felt in Arkansas and St. Louis.

This one, I think, is significant, considering the swarm activity on this fault line since September.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:07 PM
link   
I don't like it either Buttercookie! My head still feels funny... that may sound strange, but I truly feel like I have been in a boat on rough waters... my head is swimmy... if that makes sense and it won't stop!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by stormy01399

Jefferson City to Springfield is a large distance, and they are both a large distance from New Madrid. That can't be correct for a Mag 4?

My parents are 50 miles from Springfield, and we used to worry a lot about New Madrid, but our local news reporters said it would take a 8-plus before we would feel it in Joplin, so I can't imagine a 4 being felt in Springfield.

One thing for sure, Joplin doesn't need any more problems right now, and neither does the Mississippi River valley!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

To preface this, I’m not making fun of you.

You’re typing well, and that’s a good thing. But I would suggest that you make an appointment with your doc if this feeling continues.

I lost a cousin to an aneurism when he was seventeen and he described similar feelings before he passed.

I wish you the best.

edit on 7-6-2011 by TDawgRex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Thank you for the advice, I will mention it to my doctor because if this feeling doesn't pass I will go and see her soon! This has been going on for several days and got worse yesterday!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

If Missouri were to experience an earthquake, it would be a trifecta of horrors. I’d hate to see that happen. No way is FEMA prepared for that.

Y’all are in my prayers and thoughts.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by stormy01399

Jefferson City to Springfield is a large distance, and they are both a large distance from New Madrid. That can't be correct for a Mag 4?

My parents are 50 miles from Springfield, and we used to worry a lot about New Madrid, but our local news reporters said it would take a 8-plus before we would feel it in Joplin, so I can't imagine a 4 being felt in Springfield.

One thing for sure, Joplin doesn't need any more problems right now, and neither does the Mississippi River valley!

You think that this was larger than a 4.2 mag? You could be right.....

According to those who track the USGS, they have been purposely downgrading magnitudes of quakes so they don't produce fear.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
The wife and I were only in bed about 10 minutes before it hit. I'm about 35 miles South East from where it happened. It didn't feel like an earthquake. Felt more like an explosion. Shook the house really good and even had a boom to it, but it lasted maybe 5 seconds. By the time we jumped from the bed it was over, that's why we thought explosion at first. Even went out on the front porch looking around for the fireball. It was at least an hour before the news started saying something about it and we learned it was an EQ and not an explosion.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

I don't see it higher than what they said. I'm pretty close to the epicenter I guess you'd call it and already described what we felt here in my above post. I'm no EQ expert, in fact far from it. This is only the second one that I've felt and this one just didn't feel like an EQ. I have been close to an explosion and know what a shock wave feels like and that's what it felt like to me. A short rumbling of the house then a boom which led me to think explosion and not EQ. The first EQ I was in was more of what I think when I think of an EQ. There was rumbling and little to no sound. This was different. Could it be because I was indoors for this one or could it be because it was a higher mag than the first one I felt?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   

Vertigo, nausea, headaches, anxiety are all symptoms people experience pre earthquakes or during swarms. Try eating some corn or a corn based product and see if this helps....when Arkansas was having a massive swarm during February and March I felt sick all the time, and eating anything corn based really did settle me down. If this feeling doesn't go away, definately plan on having a doctor examine you. Aside from earthquake motion, dizzyness ususally results from in inner ear imbalance, and it can also indicate orthostatic hypertension (I'm a nursing student). Here is a link about earthquakes and vertigo:

www.hinduonnet.com...

Hope you feel better!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   

Greeenzie, we have been having the same feelings in Arkansas. Ears ringing, seasick and nauseated from the swaying, equilibrium off, heart rates change at times, with all the quakes that have been happening here. Some people don't experience them as much as others but the ones that do are sensitive to it and what is happening under you in the ground. Eating lots corn will help with some of the symptoms. There are herbal remedies used by the islanders in Hawaii that help.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simon_Boudreaux.....had a boom to it.........

I think I'm developing a sixth sense for the abnormal......LOL!

I heard several abnormally deep boom sounds last night. Three to be exact! It started softly then escalated to a third and final boom. I went outside to investigate and noticed the sky had a strange color to it.

My wife didn't hear a thing. Go Figure!

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
this seems realy unusual to me mabey we should try to get more people to take a look at this and get there oppions and such ... where is puterman and trueamerica or what ever his name is when u need them lol

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 04:12 AM
link   
June 17 is a danger day for New Madrid.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
reply to post by thestillborn1

I didn't notice the sky being a different color. I didn't notice anything actually. When the wife and I were on the porch looking around everything was perfectly silent. No dogs barking, no cicadas making their infernal racket, nothing at all. It was just weird to me that an earthquake would sound and feel like an explosion. Just wasn't what I imagined it would be like. When a house a block away exploded last summer the effects were the same as this earthquake. The house shook for a few seconds and then the boom. The news said it lasted between 10 and 15 seconds and it was about 15 miles East, Southeast from Sullivan. That puts it about 20 miles from me.( Sullivan is 32 miles from me) As soon as the house shook we were out of bed. In just those few seconds it took to jump from the bed it was over. That's not 10 to 15 seconds.

As a second thought related to other posters talking of feeling ill. I haven't felt ill but I have been feeling really anxious since then. Feels like I'm waiting for another one is the best way to describe the feeling.

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize
I don't like it either Buttercookie! My head still feels funny... that may sound strange, but I truly feel like I have been in a boat on rough waters... my head is swimmy... if that makes sense and it won't stop!

I was living in the Bay Area of California in 1984 when the Coalinga quake hit. Was in a meeting and we all felt it...a long rolling sensation, like being on a boat in large, but gentle swells. My inner ears were screwed up for a week or more and I felt constantly off-balance. Believe me it can affect you a lot! Never had that kind of equilibrium problem with the "jolting" tremors I lived through. (I was on vacation in Idaho during the Loma Prieta quake...so can't comment on that one!)
edit on 9-6-2011 by Jansy because: (no reason given)

top topics

join