It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Either God is not Love or Yahweh is not God.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by UB2120

Originally posted by UB2120
Originally posted by madnessinmysoul
reply to post by UB2120

Let me ask you:

Question 1: What do you believe and why?

With regard to religion? Nothing. I hold no religious beliefs or any supernatural belief.

Question 2: Where is the supporting evidence for your belief?

As I have no belief, no evidence is required. There is an entire absence of evidence for the beliefs I do not subscribe to.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Vicky32
"I excuse your ignorance of English, given that you're American, but 'man' was for centuries the name of our species/race. That's why I said what I did."

You contradicted yourself twice. First you said you didn't refer to man as a race, now you are saying you did. I know that people during Biblical times referred to the human race as man. That seems to be the time you're stuck in so why don't you stay there while the rest of us advance society and civilization.

You hairy knuckle dragging, god fearing neanderthal!

"Now, stop bothering me. You're on my ignore list."

I'm sorry that I interrupted your argument with yourself. You're doing fine on your own without anyone's assistance. He, he, he.

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

reply to post by UB2120

Originally posted by UB2120
reply to post by UB2120

Let me ask you:

Question 1: What do you believe and why?

With regard to religion? Nothing. I hold no religious beliefs or any supernatural belief.

Question 2: Where is the supporting evidence for your belief?

As I have no belief, no evidence is required. There is an entire absence of evidence for the beliefs I do not subscribe to.

So you believe all creation and life are accidental, pure chance?

posted on Jun, 23 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by UB2120

So you believe all creation and life are accidental, pure chance?

Yep a cosmic accident and random chemical interactions.

posted on Jun, 24 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

It's often been said that God is love...well, I'm going to argue that the Christian God cannot be love by the outlining of what love is in the Bible.

I'm sure you've heard this passage before. Hell, you might have even seen it as a 'tramp stamp' tattoo, which I found to be most amusing. I'd post the image, but you can just do a Google image search for "1 Corinthians tramp stamp" to see the hilarity for yourself.

1 Corinthians 13:4-8

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud.
It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth.
It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.
Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.

I'm going to focus on the parts in bold. First, love doesn't envy.

Does God envy?

Exodus 34:14
Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.

...hm...

Deuteronomy 4:24
For the LORD your God is a consuming fire, a jealous God.

Um...

Deuteronomy 5:9
You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,

Well...

Deuteronomy 6:15
for the LORD your God, who is among you, is a jealous God and his anger will burn against you, and he will destroy you from the face of the land.

But...that's just saying that he might get jealous, not that he is really envying something specific...

Deuteronomy 32:16
They made him jealous with their foreign gods and angered him with their detestable idols.

32:21
They made me jealous by what is no god and angered me with their worthless idols. I will make them envious by those who are not a people; I will make them angry by a nation that has no understanding.

Um...so he got jealous because they were worshiping a different deity...he was...envying the other deities...

Well...ok. Definitely envies. Does God boast?

Hmm..

Malachi 1:14
"Cursed is the cheat who has an acceptable male in his flock and vows to give it, but then sacrifices a blemished animal to the Lord. For I am a great king," says the LORD Almighty, "and my name is to be feared among the nations.

Pretty boastful...I'll leave pride alone though. I'll just toss that one right out for the sake of fairness and time.

Lastly, the passage says the love never fails. Has Yahweh failed?

Judges 1:19
The LORD was with the men of Judah. They took possession of the hill country, but they were unable to drive the people from the plains, because they had iron chariots

...apparently Yahweh failed in the face of iron chariots...

So...the deity described in the Bible has either been described inaccurately or is not love. Take your pick Christians....or God is love and Yahweh is not God.
edit on 7/6/11 by madnessinmysoul because: (no reason given)

Ok i haven't read the whole thread but would just like to reply to this first post. I typed in this question on the internet and got a reasonable answer. Jealousy, when translated back to Hebrew roots, seems to have the meaning of "redness in the face" and passion, etc. and is not necessarily good or bad. So it can be used in the way we normally use it (somebody is jealous and envies somebody because they have something greater than them) or it can be used to show intense passion/yearning, not necessarily bad. God has a yearning for us to follow him, but he is not envying us and our positions, which is different. I don't have the quote, it probably isn't too hard to find in the Bible but somebody says something somewhere about "godly jealousy" which is different than the jealousy we normally know, and envy. It isn't envy but want/passion, characteristic of love. In the quote about boasting above "I am a great king..." he doesn't really seem to be boasting but more just stating the truth, informing the people that his name should not be taken lightly. Finally, the last quote says the Lord was with Judah. The people clearly had the Lord in their hearts, etc. but that does not mean that it was the Lord personally who failed. Or maybe they won the battle but not the war... etc. This is sort of a sloppy post, sorry for that, but it isn't too hard to see that there isn't really a contradiction here

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   
In summary, I believe there is a God and that God does not favor an innocent baby over a murderous molester. God is nature and only our wisdom and science will be rewarded with survival and life.

God is not evil and God is not good. God is indifferent nature.

We should be worshiping wisdom, science and perhaps listen to the spirits of our ancestors that went before us for wisdom in helping us to survive.

Furthermore, all Christians should study the history of the formation of Christianity and the history of a historical Jesus. We have a lot of information available to us via the Internet. If Christians continue to be apologetic and deny that there is little to no evidence for Jesus of the Bible other than what Constantine depicted, then Christians will never have a future when it comes to arguing spiritual truth.

Jesus was Apollonius of Tyana also known as Paul of Tarsus. He was also Jesus Son of Panther, founder of the Jewish Essene Buddhist movement. And he was the twin sons of Mariamne I Alexander and Aristobulus IV.

You can't quote just the Bible anymore. We need other sources.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Here is another gripe.

Christians refer to Jesus as Lord.

But Lord refers to Monarchy which is where one person rules absolutely, also known as tyranny. Since we no longer need Lords, we shouldn't refer to anyone as a Lord.

We modern freedom fighters should be against Lords and Ladies.

posted on Jun, 27 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Actually, The Good Family, Father/Mother/Son, Brothers/Sisters/Uncles/Aunts/Grandfathers/Grandmothers, etc into Infinity in Progression like Infinite Fractals ARE ONLY LOVE, humble hearts, filled with kindness, and serve the children. Good/God, except the pyramid needs to be inverted to Infinite Family and Progression.

Those who wrote the scriptures or compiled them, ensured two lanes to the HWY. Its up to our hearts to pick the right path. The masonic checkerboard floor or duality/structure.

Only take the best in the scriptures, in media, in life, and ingore/cancel out the rest, turn all negatives to positives, like refining silver.
edit on 27-6-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 05:39 AM
link   
reply to post by capod2t

Um... But... You see, well.... I THOUGHT GOD WAS UNCHANGING??

edit on 9/15/2011 by NZkraw because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 17 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by NZkraw
reply to post by capod2t

Um... But... You see, well.... I THOUGHT GOD WAS UNCHANGING??

edit on 9/15/2011 by NZkraw because: (no reason given)

The god of the Christian bible changes constantly! (Even though his followers say he doesn't.) He changes so much he appears to be a paranoid schizophrenic with narcissistic tendencies and a penchant for violence, genocide, rape, and serial murder. His "son" has some of these same tendencies, but is less inclined to kill. He is more into mutilation (eyes, testicles, hands, etc.) This son is also a somewhat talented magician, most likely learning the craft from the Magi (Three Wisemen) that visited his birthplace. His Houdini-like "resurrection" was a hoot!

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join