It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Majestic timelapse of Milky Way from Great Plains

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f1f7e309c970.jpg[/atsimg]

During the month of May, I shot Milky Way timelapse in central South Dakota, when I had the time, and the weather cooperated. The biggest challenge was cloudy nights and the wind. There were very few nights, when I could shoot, that were perfectly clear, and often the wind was blowing 25mph +. That made it hard to get the shots I wanted. I kept most of the shots low to the ground, so the wind wouldn't catch the setup and cause camera shake, or blow it over. I used a Stage Zero Dolly on the dolly shots and a "Milapse" mount on the panning ones.

Canon 60D and T2i
Tokina 11-16
Sigma 20mm F1.8
Tamron 17-50

Dynamic Perception Stage Zero Dolly dynamicperception.com

Shot in RAW format, the Milky Way shots were 30 seconds exposure F2.8 or F1.8 with 2 second interval between shots, for 3-4 hours run time. ISO 1600

Ten seconds of the video is about 2 hours 20 minutes in real time.

Simon Wilkinson from thebluemask.com created the soundtrack "Exodus" for the video

Link to Vimeo

Beautiful video wanted to share for those that haven't seen this.
Thanx. . . AB

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Yeah, that's a interesting one.

It's great what people can do on a budget of just a few thousand dollars. 20 years ago people made movies like this but the equipment was hundreds of thousands of dollars, and totally custom made.

Now, all you need is a track, motorized mount, computer, DSLR, and some good software. All can be purchased for around $3000 to $5000 (depending on how rich your blood is).
edit on 7-6-2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   
thanks for sharing this i loved it!
it really makes me feel so small, and i wish i could see the stars at night the one thing i hate about living in a city.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I saw this on my FB and Twitter feeds!

I loved it. I wish I could see the sky like this. I can see a few stars if I am lucky, there is too much light pollution where I live. When I retire I want to retire OUT of Florida unlike most who retire here...I want to be out west were this is my view. I'd probably build my house to have the roof be nothing but windows

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
I was in Angel Fire, NM this weekend and this video reminded me of it.

I also wish I could see the sky like this every night - I wouldn't need a hot tub anymore!
Screw that, I'm keeping the hot tub. Maybe I'll quit smoking instead(even if they are e-cigs).

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
I love the view
I've been trying to paint this view of the milky way in oil
It's just so hard to do justice to the real thing
thinkexist.com...

edit on 7-6-2011 by A por uvas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Awesome video!

I do live in a place that I can see the sky like this fellow and I wish I could have him record some of the fantastic stratus/lenticular cloud formations that we get in the area. The constantly growing and changing clouds are fascinating.

All I can do is still-shots, which are nice, but not as intriguing as these vids. S&F

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8a8fabe6abc4.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by czygyny
Awesome video!

I do live in a place that I can see the sky like this fellow and I wish I could have him record some of the fantastic stratus/lenticular cloud formations that we get in the area. The constantly growing and changing clouds are fascinating.

All I can do is still-shots, which are nice, but not as intriguing as these vids. S&F

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8a8fabe6abc4.jpg[/atsimg]

That's a great shot my friend! Clouds are cool.

top topics

join