It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biggest CME Ever 07-06-2011.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
its a cme= coronal mass ejection that they are claiming may be the largest ever. not a solar flare- the M2 they are talking about. 2 different things.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   
REALLY?...

I can't believe I got excited at the title and fell for it AGAIN.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by JakiusFogg

Baahahaha

You're reassurance has set my mind at ease and instigated a CME of it's own (Coffee Mass Ejection) all over the dash in my dads car (he's driving me to work) and he ain't impressed!
Star for you JFogg

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   

Point being, if this is a sufficiently strong X class flare. with a southern polarity. Say bye bye to your electronics.

No.

As you can remember we had many x-class during the last cycle and some beautiful strong aurora visible even in Italy (!) and all my electronics is still working and everywhere you can see transformers much older than 11 years.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The video is strange in my opinion
it breaks up then out of no where the cme
and then the video breaks up again.
don't know if the ejection had an effect on the equipment
looks like the ejection went towards the direction of the recording device.
edit on 7-6-2011 by A por uvas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Its not biggest solar flare ever, its biggest in 5 years. Surely we have seen bigger, but we couldn't study them properly because SDO wasn't in orbit then. Best we had was SOHO. If you compare them, you easily see difference. SDO photographs Sun in better-than-HD quality.

And that looks more dramatic than it is. Eruption hurled lot of plasma out of Sun's surface, but it rain back. But some managed to escape from Sun's gravity. M2-class eruption with S1-class radiation storm. S1-class is lowest, but it would still cause some interference to HF-radio signals around Poles.

And it was Earth-directed.
edit on 8-6-2011 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
this thread was the LARGEST let down of the day.... I wonder how many flares that were larger than this showed up PRE SOHO

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
on german news they say its the biggest since 2006 ....we still alive ..so cant be so heavy

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
you only need to worry about the X class CME. X for Xtream!
i know its an e
edit on 8-6-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
What I don't get is the following: how can this be such a big CME which that has never been observed since a long time in history only be a M2 class. Maybe a CME isn't the same thing as a solar flare but my lack of knowledge makes me wonder about it. So, if anybody could answer my question, that would be great.

Thruthseek3r

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by smartbuddy

,what a show,but scary.I,wonder if it will do anything to earth?

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Having a Solar Blast

All of the solar Heliophysics System Observatory missions captured the event.

This not-squarely Earth-directed CME is moving at 1400 km/s according to NASA models. The CME should deliver a glancing blow to Earth's magnetic field during the late hours of June 8th or June 9th. High-latitude sky watchers should be alert for auroras when the CME arrives.

Biggest I have ever seen though. Northern Lights could be visible as far south as Pittsburgh, PA and NYC:
We might see northern lights here tonight
edit on 8-6-2011 by DragonFire1024 because: add

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by venusstarlite

It missed the Earth. Have a nice day.
Our high voltage transformers won't be exploding this week.
Enjoy your broadband internet connection.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Eurisko2012

Originally posted by venusstarlite

It missed the Earth. Have a nice day.
Our high voltage transformers won't be exploding this week.
Enjoy your broadband internet connection.

It didn't mis Earth...it was directed right towards the planet. Now the question is, will it effect power grids, communications or the likes? NASA says probably not. There will be some excellent displays of Northern Lights for a good portion of the Northern half of the US for the next day or two though. If you are as far south as NYC or Pittsburgh PA, then stand outside at night. You may get an equally awesome show from this event.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonFire1024

Here you go. I threw in some rock and roll for you.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

I like John Murphy's rendition better

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonFire1024

We won't get blasted until 2012.
It has to be true.
I read about it on the internet.

----------------------
But don't worry the Greys will step in and save us.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Remember 1989, a solar flare knocked out the electrical grid in Quebec, Canada, leaving 6 million people without power. Auroras were seen as far as London.
I dont think we will be facing this now.

On Thursday, March 9, 1989 astronomers at the Kitt Peak Solar Observatory spotted a major solar flare in progress. Eight minutes later, the Earth's outer atmosphere was struck by a wave of powerful ultraviolet and X-ray radiation. Then the next day, an even more powerful eruption launched a cloud of gas 36 times the size of the from Active Region 5395 nearly dead center on the Sun. The storm cloud rushed out from the Sun at a million miles an hour, and on the evening of Monday, March 13 it struck the Earth.

The solar flare and accompanying storm conditions did much more than cause a blackout and upset communications systems. Automatic garage doors in California suburbs began to open and close without apparent reason. Microchip production in the northeastern United States came to a halt several times because of the ionosphere's magnetic activity. In space, geostationary communications satellites that sensed the Earth's magnetic field in order to point themselves had to be manually repointed from the ground as the local field polarity reversed direction, nearly causing the satellite to flip upside down. Some satellites in polar orbits actually tumbled out of control for several hours. GOES weather satellite communications were interrupted causing weather images to be lost. NASA's TDRS-1 communication satellite recorded over 250 anomalies caused by the increased particles flows into its sensitive electronics.

www.solarstorms.org...

and after that
2001 Solar flare biggest ever recorded

2003 solar flare

feb 2011 thread; dodged a solar bullet,

More ativity to come as the sun is powering up for its 24 cycle peak

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by prof7

Note, I did say sufficiently stong X Class, with a specific polarity!

posted on Jun, 10 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
What a load of crap this is.

Biggest ever?

HA!!

We've had 2 X flares this year that outweigh this M flare by a considerable margin to no ill effects.

Why is it that with endless resources at our fingertips online, people are more ignorant than ever before?

Spose it's easier to watch a youtube video I guess...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join