It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stanford climate scientists forecast permanently hotter summers beginning in 20 years

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Stanford climate scientists forecast permanently hotter summers beginning in 20 years

news.stanford.edu

The tropics and much of the Northern Hemisphere are likely to experience an irreversible rise in summer temperatures within the next 20 to 60 years if atmospheric greenhouse gas concentrations continue to increase, according to a new climate study by Stanford University scientists.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
After the last set of super hot summers, we saw many unprepared people die. France was particularly hard-hit; but the entire European continent suffered greatly.

In the study, the Stanford team concluded that many tropical regions in Africa, Asia and South America could see "the permanent emergence of unprecedented summer heat" in the next two decades. Middle latitudes of Europe, China and North America – including the United States – are likely to undergo extreme summer temperature shifts within 60 years, the researchers found.

"According to our projections, large areas of the globe are likely to warm up so quickly that, by the middle of this century, even the coolest summers will be hotter than the hottest summers of the past 50 years...

But now, even the agricultural communities will need to prepare (somehow) for the advent of exceedingly hot weather. Irrigation and drought resistant crops will become the key to enduring this crisis.

This dramatic shift in seasonal temperatures could have severe consequences for human health, agricultural production and ecosystem productivity, Diffenbaugh said. As an example, he pointed to record heat waves in Europe in 2003 that killed 40,000 people. He also cited studies showing that projected increases in summer temperatures in the Midwestern United States could reduce the harvest of staples, such as corn and soybeans, by more than 30 percent.

Let's hope we have the sense to actually begin to plan for this eventuality, and not just surrender to the mega-corporations' solutions which will be to pay more....

news.stanford.edu
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Strangling free energy sources due to loss of profit I can understand. (But NOT advocate)

Although denying us free energy sources in the face of life or death?

Corporations sicken me.

Its because of this materialism and consumerist state that we have a lot of these 'Man made pollution' problems anyway..

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   
And then a few decades after that they will forecast cooler summers... it's because of the natural global warming/cooling cycles that occur, and have been occuring long before man ever walked upright. The Earth's slight orbital change, as well as the Earth's axis change that occurs over tens of thousands of years is the reason for it, not the V8 in my truck.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
reply to post by OptimusSubprime

Well Im glad that as a climate expert you have assured us that this increase in heat during the summer will only last a couple decades.

Now how did you come by that number?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
And then a few decades after that they will forecast cooler summers... it's because of the natural global warming/cooling cycles that occur, and have been occuring long before man ever walked upright. The Earth's slight orbital change, as well as the Earth's axis change that occurs over tens of thousands of years is the reason for it, not the V8 in my truck.

See this is the common misconception...

Of course natural climate change takes place.

But we ALSO have an effect due to what we do to the environment.

The controversy lies in the fact that a lot of this man made pollution isn't actually from the energy in our homes or our cars, but in fact from the corporations blaming us solely as consumers for it.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Weren't these the same guys in the 70's predicting an ice age?
I still don't think we know enough how the climate works for people to accurately predict it.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
doesn't this contradict the new report about the growth of new trees and potential reductions of Co2?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

Well Im glad that as a climate expert you have assured us that this increase in heat during the summer will only last a couple decades.

Here's a few (of many) pages from my "works cited" from my Master's Thesis titled "Man Made Global Warming: Fact or Fiction... it's in there somewhere, so have a ball.

An Inconvenient Truth. Dir. Davis Guggenheim. Perf. Al Gore. DVD. Paramount Classics, 2006.

"Al Gore Refuses to Dignify Debate: It's Not A Matter of Theory." The Huffington Post. 5 Apr. 2009. Web. 1 Sep. 2010. .

"Alaska Sues Over Drilling Moratorium." UPI.com. 10 Sep. 2010. Web. 13 Sep. 2010. .

"Cap and Trade 101: A Climate Policy Primer." Sightline institute. Jul. 2009. Web. 5 Sep. 2010. .

Edwards, J. Gordon . "100 Things You Should Know About DDT." JunkScience.com. n.d. Web. 16 Sep. 2010. .

"Flashback: Obama Says Cap and Trade Makes Electricity Rates Skyrocket." Real Clear Politics. 27 Jun. 2009. Web. 4 Sep. 2010. .

Grunwald, Michael . "BP Oil Spill: Has the Damage Been Exaggerated?." Time Magazine. 29 Jul. 2010. Web. 5 Sep. 2010. .

Guarino, Mark . "Gulf Oil Spill Aftermath: Will Region Regain Lost Jobs?." The Christian Science Monitor. 20 Sep. 2010. Web. 13 Sep. 2010. .

Gwynne, Peter. "The Cooling World." Newsweek 28 Apr. 1975: page 64.

"How Green is Al Gore's $9 Million Montecito Oceanfront Villa." USA Today. 18 May. 2010. Web. 5 Sep. 2010. .

"Hybrid Battery Toxicity." Hybrid Cars. 8 Apr. 2006. Web. 1 Sep. 2010. .

Jackson, S . "Rachel Carlson's Ecological Genocide." freerepublic.com. 31 Jul. 2003. Web. 15 Sep. 2010. .

MacDougall, A. Kent . "Humans as a Cancer." Church of Euthanasia. n.d. Web. 6 Sep. 2010. .

Mason, Jeff . "Obama To Keep Drilling Moratorium For 6 Months." Reuters. 27 May. 2010. Web. 10 Sep. 2010. .

Matson, John . "Are Compact Fluorescent Light Bulbs Dangerous?." Scientific American. 10 Apr. 2008. Web. 1 Sep. 2010. .

"May We Live Long and Die Out." The Voluntary Human Extinction Movement. n.d. Web. 4 Sep. 2010. .

McKenna, Phil . "Al Gore Rallies US Congress Over Climate." New Scientist. 22 Mar. 2007. Web. 5 Sep. 2010. .

Merrifield, Bruce . "Global Warming and Solar Radiation." American Thinker. 11 Jul. 2007. Web. 2 Sep. 2010. .

"Obama Underwrites Offshore Drilling." The Wall Street Journal. 18 Aug. 2009. Web. 16 Sep. 2010. .

Pachauri, Rajendra. "Welcoming Ceremony." Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Conference of the Parties to the Kyoto Protocol. Copenhagen, Denmark. Web. 7 Dec. 2009. .

Robbins, Jim . "An Inconvenient Truth: The Ice Cap Is Growing." The Washington Times. 10 Jan. 2010. Web. 10 Sep. 2010. .

Roberts, Greg . "Antarctic Ice is Growing. Not Melting Away." news.com.au. 18 Apr. 2009. Web. 10 Sep. 2010. .

Shiver, Kyle-Anne . "Why Does The MSM Ignore Al Gore's 'Global Warming' Millions?" Big Journalism. 14 Feb. 2010. Web. 7 Sep. 2010. .

"U.S. Backs $1B Loan to Mexico for Oil Drilling Despite Obama Moratorium." Fox News. 11 Sep. 2010. Web. 14 Sep. 2010. .

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
20 years ... thats a pretty convienient time frame. Put the danger in a short enough time frame that it will effect nearly everyone alive today so as to spark immediate action but far enough off that when it doesnt come to fruition, no one remembers the dire predictions.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by guessing
doesn't this contradict the new report about the growth of new trees and potential reductions of Co2?

Confusing, isn't it?

On the one hand you've got more trees capturing oxygen, and on the other you have this.....

I would have assumed that high temperatures would indicate higher plant metabolism and more rapid photosynthesis... but hey... obviously there's an element of scientific "magic" to all this that the press just isn't willing to get into. Climatology is to Science, as Economics is to Mathematics..... part religion.

edit on 7-6-2011 by Maxmars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
These clowns and the like can't even accurately predict the weather over the next 5 days.

Same crap, different day.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars

Originally posted by guessing

Confusing, isn't it.

On the one hand you've got more trees capturing oxygen, and on the other you have this.....

I would have assumed that high temperatures would indicate higher plant metabolism and more rapid photosynthesis... but hey... obviously there's an element of scientific "magic" to all this that the press just isn't willing to get into. Climatology is to Science, as Economics is to Mathematics..... part religion.

I would have thought it was more political in nature and intentional to mislead the public to boost the carbon tax scheme. We have some pretty major negative views on carbon credits in Australia. I think we are the testing ground. It is not going very well for the governement at this time. Blatant lies they are telling and getting caught on it.

But then in this case , the likelyhood of Joe Public to put the two articles together is not high....

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Im not sure your bibliography, (looking at the titles, some of which I am already familiar with) will really explain how you come to the conclusion that any heating during the summers will only last a couple decades.

I know a lot of people want to make a very big deal over whether the climate change is "man made" or a "natural cycle." Since the climate has a huge impact on our food production, in terms of human survival, its really not THE most important thing.

Its most likely a combination of both a natural cycle AND our activity, and since we like to eat, behaving in ways that might minimize the fluctuations would be a good idea. Of course it would also be a good idea to voluntarily lower our population to make it easier for us to adapt to changes in the climate, but we likely will not do that either.

Bottom line, a long bibliography for some paper is not showing how you came to the conclusion that any warming would only last a couple decades. And I know that why? Because I know that no one knows how long a warming trend would last. We flat out dont understand the complex system well enough at this point to make accurate predictions like that.

And if YOU actually did read all that, you know that too.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Why does no-one ever mention that Co2 is heavier than air, or that all plants need it to grow and give off oxygen for us to breath
Oh I get....do you

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Im not sure your bibliography, (looking at the titles, some of which I am already familiar with) will really explain how you come to the conclusion that any heating during the summers will only last a couple decades.

I know a lot of people want to make a very big deal over whether the climate change is "man made" or a "natural cycle." Since the climate has a huge impact on our food production, in terms of human survival, its really not THE most important thing.

Its most likely a combination of both a natural cycle AND our activity, and since we like to eat, behaving in ways that might minimize the fluctuations would be a good idea. Of course it would also be a good idea to voluntarily lower our population to make it easier for us to adapt to changes in the climate, but we likely will not do that either.

Bottom line, a long bibliography for some paper is not showing how you came to the conclusion that any warming would only last a couple decades. And I know that why? Because I know that no one knows how long a warming trend would last. We flat out dont understand the complex system well enough at this point to make accurate predictions like that.

And if YOU actually did read all that, you know that too.

I really did read all of that and more, and I do know that. I didn't mean to come across as combative, so I apologize for the misunderstanding.

I was speaking figuratively. There are many different cycles that the Earth experiences over time. The most noticeable to us is the sun spot cycle that lasts roughly 11 years, and we are currently reaching the peak of this cycle, which will be at the end of 2012, and then the sun spot activity will get progressively less and then start all over again. This 11 year cycle is the one that we notice obviously because it is only 11 years. When I said "a couple of decades" I was talking about going through a couple of these cycles.

There are much longer solar cycles that we humans don't realize are happening. For example, there is a 100,000 year cycle that results from the elliptical orbit of the Earth around the sun. In other words, over time the Earth moves a little closer to the sun, and then it moves away. This is why we get ice ages. There is a 41,000 year obliquity cycle, which results from the tilt of the Earth on it's axis, and a 23,000 year cycle which results from "climatic precession" or changes in direction of the Earth's axis relative to the sun.

Even the slightest change in our axis tilt could mean several degrees (in temperature) difference one way or the other. Many scientists also believe that the rise in CO2 in our atmosphere is due to the ocean releasing trapped CO2 as a consequence of higher solar activity, the water heats up and releases CO2.

I believe that there is absolutely nothing that we humans can do to harm the Earth. It is only our perspective of the Earth that is harmed, or changed. That big cloud of smog over Los Angeles is certainly caused by humans, but it isn't hurting the Earth, because the Earth cleans and recycles itself over time, and that time may be longer than you and I will live, so we don't think in those terms, we only think about the air that we have to breathe right now.
edit on 7-6-2011 by OptimusSubprime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Its quite simple. "Global Warming" is a political farce. The cycles of sun activity is science. Man made climate change is a fraud. Liberalism and those who believe in man made climate change is a mental illness. Warming trends and cooling trends occurred long before industrialized man walked the earth. Fact.

I think that pretty much sums it up for you.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:12 PM
link   

No matter how many times one tries to explain the effects of the solar cycles, there will be those who just don't get it.

Its exhaustive.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   
so have people forgotten that trees and grassland create a cooling effect?

and if trees are flourishing they do take co2 out of the atmosphere.

global warming is a scam

it was created by scientists to get paid.

then the treehuggers latched on to the idea for thier social engineering that has destroyed trillion dollar industries.

climate change does indeed occur but for those who think man is the root cause of it is laughable.

man is an arrogant creature and by extenstion by nature would he think he has the power of mother nature herself.

mother nature is the alpha and the omega of this world she can be your best friend or your worst nightmare.

however she does it with no emotion,no anger,no hatred,no remorse etc and most of all

no political agenda.
edit on 7-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Thats more informative. Im familiar with the "sun cycle" theory of global warming, and so if you had said you were so certain the warming period would only last a few decades because of solar cycles, I would have understood where you are coming from.

And SOME of you, directly above, contradict yourselves directly. Global warming is not both a myth and a natural cycle. If you want to say, "human caused global warming is a myth" than say that. Climate change itself NOT a myth. What is causing it, how long it will last, how it will affect us, whether or not there is anything we can do to mitigate it, that is what is up for discussion, not the fact that our climate is changing.

And oddly enough, in both of your posts, you both deny and admit to climate change. Its almost as if you think that if anyone other than you talks about it it means "human caused" but when you talk about it, what it means whatever you believe.

I have flat out said in previous posts I personally dont care who or what is causing it. I want to understand it, for general understanding, but my big concern is, what are we going to do about it? One of the things that supposedly separates humans from chimps is our ability to foresee consequences and events with some degree of accuracy, and then prepare or plan for it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join