It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

LHC created a blackhole inside the earth ?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by prof7

Originally posted by MrHappyman989
I hope this doesn't happen. I don't find the thought of being sucked through a 9 mm hole very appealing to be honest.

Its all relative. By the time when you will be sucked through it it won't seem so small to you anymore.

Besides, by that time, you'd be gravitationally dissociated into a stretched-out clump of individual particles. You wouldn't feel a thing.
edit on 7-6-2011 by CLPrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
From the models I seen, black holes surrounded by mass that actually achieve stability tend to work quick.
speed of light quick actually (as light can't escape, creating a singularity point where things are being sucked in at the speed of light and growing as rapidly as it sucks in...so ya..not even sure a scientist would be able to get the words out "oh crap" before the earth is swallowed.

So, if that is factual, then going to go with no...there is no black hole inside the earth due to the earth still being here.

however, I am not a expert...just going with what I have read about black holes when I came across CERN many years back and the fearmongering that was going on at the time

Something like this:

edit on 7-6-2011 by SaturnFX because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

What would take time is waiting for the micro black hole to encounter enough individual particles (electrons and the like) to grow to the point where it can gravitationally attract nearby matter rather than just matter it comes into direct contact with. There's a lot of empty space at atomic levels, and a micro black hole would have a hard time growing in such an environment. Once it got going, though, it wouldn't take long.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

You might want to do some research on singularities. If the LHC created a black hole that managed to exist longer than 10^-22 seconds (as specified at CERN) that escaped the magnetic bubble with a normal range of 10^-17 seconds to escape, there is a reasonable probability that CERN would be consumed in less than 10 seconds, followed by Europe in less than about 7 minutes and the balance of the planet in less than an hour. The resulting black hole would have the mass of earth and a radius of about 7 to 9cm's and would be spinning at about 1/4 the speed of light (due to the initial speed plus mass contraction / volume). The resulting black hole according to Kip Thorn and others would then be capable of producing temporal anomalies.

Regardless of size, black holes are carnivores that consume mass, the closer and greater the mass, the faster the black hole increases in mass and reduces its volume, and the rate of mass consumption is exponential in the presence of a consistent source of matter.

If CERN lost a black hole through the magnetic bubble, the last word on earth would be oops... (it's a standing joke between the NRC and myself).

Cheers - Dave

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:37 PM
link   
IRC a singlarity made from the number of atoms being colided would be so small as to be able to pass through other atoms with only a miniscule chance of actually encountering them in the 1st place.

think of it like this - a neutron star has a density of somewhere between 1 x 10^9 kg/m^3 at the surface, and 6-8 x 10^17 at depth - it is something like 10^6-10^14 denser than water.

To attain this density on a atomic scale you would mass a billion tons (1 x 10^12 kg) or into a 1 cm cube (assuming I've got all my 0's right....which is not a given!
)

so divide 1 billion tons by the weight of an atom, and then divide 1 cm^3 by the same factor - 1 atom of gold masses 3.2706 x 10^-22 kg, and apparently the largest atomic nuclei are about 15 fm (femtometres - 10^15m) in diameter.

So a "black hole" of 1 gold atom would have a diameter of something like 1 x 10^-37m - it would might be small enough to pass right through and aordinary attom of gold withotu touching any of it's constituent parts!!

My head hurts from too many orders of magnitude ....

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by prof7

Originally posted by Beavers
this did happen to vulcan in the last star trek movie tho... never say never!

It cannot really have happened, there must be something wrong. In later times Vulcan still exists and no such event was ever recorded in history. There must still be an episode missing which explains this discrepancy.

When they went back in time to recreate our favorite Star Trek characters as new members, then COMPLETELY destroyed the entire time line that all of us read about, and knew, well that was pretty much the last Star Trek movie for me.

YEARS of dedicated fandom, down the tubes.. I can still quote lines from the various books, and Paramount has decided that none of that exists any more. Next gen? Never happened. Deep Space Nine? Space dust. Voyager? Was never constructed. That stupid "Enterprise" series (which I didn't watch because of the Vulcan crew-woman who could not possibly have been there), well it seems that they re-wrote all of that too.

I'm shocked that Leonard Nimoy even was willing to star in it, other than the obvious payoff.

Sorry, off topic rant, but I feel better now..

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 06:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by matadoor
That stupid "Enterprise" series (which I didn't watch because of the Vulcan crew-woman who could not possibly have been there)

Why couldn't she have been there at that time (it was before the rewriting of history in the latest movie and it was before Kirk, so she was not affected anyways)?

Is it because now non-existing Picard could not have done what he did when he followed the Borg into the past back to the time of first contact and so first contact also never happened and instead the Borg would own the entire planet now?

You could not have possibly known about that when you decided not to watch the "Enterprise" series!

Also this would invalidate the latest movie itself: Removing Picard from the time line would also remove successful first contact from the time line, it would invalidate the *entire* Startrek universe, including this movie itself. -> paradox!

(Picard's existence *must* be kept continuous at all costs anyways, no matter what happened: he even once saved the entire mankind including all life on earth from the threat of possible non-existence due to the time anomaly millions of years ago in the last episode of TNG. Removing Picard (even if only for a split second) would immediately destroy all life on earth! [Edit: Maybe this argument is not as strong as I initially thought because Q was involved with this also, the anomaly might have never come into existence without Q and Picard in the first place])

They will have to explain a lot of things in the next movie!

edit on 11-6-2011 by prof7 because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-6-2011 by prof7 because: more confusion

edit on 11-6-2011 by prof7 because: added even more confusion

edit on 11-6-2011 by prof7 because: more confusion: Picard MUST exist.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
you wont me to belive they can make a tiny black hole?
that with its fantastic gravity will suck in the earth?
sounds stupid.
some thing that small can not suck in one atom.
black holes are supost to be made from
Big stars clapsing under there own gravity.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
you wont me to belive they can make a tiny black hole?
that with its fantastic gravity will suck in the earth?
sounds stupid.
some thing that small can not suck in one atom.
black holes are supost to be made from
Big stars clapsing under there own gravity.

Well thats what the LHC is simulating.. a blackhole start small.. but grows larger when it starts to feed

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join