It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

E. Coli outbreak mainly affecting women.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   

E. coli outbreak in Germany: Women more affected

One of the mysteries about the outbreak of the particularly vicious strain of E. coli is that most of the victims have been women.

Scientists simply do not know why. One theory was that the victims were often people who liked eating what they thought was healthy food, say because it was low calorie (like cucumbers) or because it was organic. But the scientists are now cautioning against that view. It may be too pat.

Intriguingly, a previous outbreak of this rare type of E. coli happened in the United States in 1994 - and again the victims were predominantly women, with the average victim being 36 years of age.

Source

After reading a survivor story here

It struck me that no-one else in the household had fallen ill with this considering how it is spreading. It made me wonder if certain people were more susceptible, blood groups mainly but I have just come across this article.

I hope they do further research and carry out the DNA tests as it has me intrigued, especially with the bug being man made accusations.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I missed this on the news, and hope someone can shed some light on why this might be the case. I'm drawing a blank. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Bex33

It seems to me that women are more likely to be doing the cooking and grociery shopping than men, thereby handling the unwashed veggies more. They're also more likely to eat salads than men. Wouldn't it be expected that women become infected at a higher rate in cultures where this is true?

(This is not a sexist notion, it's an honest observation.)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
Depopulation much ? Kill the women and there's no one left to reproduce.......
edit on 7-6-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:55 AM
link   
i had been thinking of blood groups myself but i am sure they would flag this if it was the case.

apparently it is due to the fact that a lot more women tend to be dieting and eating salads and its as simple as that.
edit on 7-6-2011 by JohnySeagull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:58 AM
link   
It seems to be that the deaths caused by it are mainly women rather than who is contracting it. The only thing I can think of is birth control increasing the risk of HUS.

Pregnancy and the early postpartum (after delivery) time period and the use of birth control pills are the more common associations with HUS

Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS) Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

Crossed my mind also!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by OnceReturned

i could not agree more ! This e-coli strain is very sticky and difficult to wash off ( according to a spokes person on the news ) so it stands to reason that the person washing and prepairing the vegatables has more chance of contracting the desease .

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Bex33

reply to post by Bex33

Interesting OP thanks

Like some others, I did wonder if it was due to women eating more salads then men. However, I like your theory regarding birth control pills... It could well be the chemicals in these that are causing the more severe reactions. I've never trusted them and always been suspicious of the harm they can do. My wife has stopped using them and i am glad, i would rather use forms of contraceptives that do not harm my wife’s body.

Star and flagged

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Muckster

Thanks Muckster. I feel much the same about the contraceptive pill. Infact anything that interferes with nature can never be a good thing!

posted on Jun, 9 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Predict: E.coli will attack Europe

Link here: vietnamastrology.wordpress.com...

top topics

join