It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.K. Doctors to act as "Thought Police"

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Mister_Bit

In short; Don't piss off your doctor?

What a joke!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
So will doctors be doing this before or after they certify a patient as being unable to ever work again because he stubbed his little toe?

(I must admit I know little about doctors, having only ever met one once in the past 30 years)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32

Originally posted by Mister_Bit

Originally posted by thoughtsfull
I have great reservation when doctors are asked to betray doctor/patient confidentiality since not only does it go against the grain and cause huge resistance in the medical professions but deeply undermines the foundations of our society.. neither a good or smart move in my opinion.

Well there's the problem in a nutshell... if I ever felt angry or violent and I went for treatment, can I now expect a lengthy polive investigation into my movements?
I went for treament BEFORE it becomes a problem, not to be treated as a potential looney!

Very doubtful. They don't have the manpower to investigate everyone so they would more than likely just put your name into the database and see if it connects to any other red flags. If your not a terrorist this shouldn't affect you at all.

Tell that to the people around the world who are currently in jail, (and some end up being executed) and 100% innocent of any terror offences. It makes me sick how the government are constantly on at other nations to improve their human rights records, while taking ours away from us.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
With my experience, I don't trust doctors over here to even diagnose an illness correctly, yet alone be able to tell who's a terrorist or not.

This is totally disgusting. What a f*****g joke.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
So will doctors be doing this before or after they certify a patient as being unable to ever work again because he stubbed his little toe?

(I must admit I know little about doctors, having only ever met one once in the past 30 years)

I think you will find the government have a small private army to accomplish that task - you should know that if you are who and what I think you are.
Are you the same Essan that spouts fascist and pro government remarks on other boards such as Two - you know how protesters should be shot and the like?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mucka

Are you the same Essan that spouts fascist and pro government remarks on other boards such as Two - you know how protesters should be shot and the like?

There's only one Essan
But I'm not pro-govt. Just anti-rioters, anarchists, scroungers, Blairites, chavs and unionistas

edit on 7-6-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan

Originally posted by Mucka

There's only one Essan
But I'm not pro-govt. Just anti-rioters, anarchists, scroungers, Blairites, chavs and unionistas

edit on 7-6-2011 by Essan because: (no reason given)

Ah, Conservative then

Just a joke, don't hate me

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   
I think every citizen regardless of profession has a duty to report suspected terrorists or persons who promote terrorism. This is not doctors becoming “thought police” it’s just about them reporting suspected terrorists. It’s nothing new, say a patient comes in with injuries associated with explosives then the doctor has a responsibility to report this to the police, just like if the same patient was to start advocating the use of terrorism the doctor has a responsibility to report it, we all do.

And guys, as a health care professional let me tell you, patient confidentiality does not go as far as you would all like to think. If you tell your doctor or nurse something, odds are a whole bunch of other health care professionals are going to know about it pretty soon. If you say to your doctor “my husband stabbed me but don’t tell the police because then he will kill me” guess what, the doctor is going to tell the police. I have seen this happen, I have myself had a patient tell me something followed by “don’t tell anyone” only for me to say “I can’t promise that” then run off and the rest of the MDT because it is relevant. It goes for little things aswell, for health care to work different professionals need to talk to each other about patients, this goes all the way from the consultant to the HCA, hell most conversations are written down and recorded afterwards if something significant is disclosed.

So If a patient was to say to me “when I get out of here I am going to blow up a building” I am going to report it to the rest of the team to establish if this is a mental health issue or a genuine threat then report it to the police.

Also I despise Shami Chakrabarti with a passion and her entire human rights agenda if she had her way our society would collapse.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by kevinunknown

Also I despise Shami Chakrabarti with a passion and her entire human rights agenda if she had her way our society would collapse.

Actually I'm with you there, I can't stand her either lol

But to come back to your point of reponsibility, of course if someone walks in and say "I'm gonna blow somewhere up" that's a cause for concern and who wouldn't report that, the part that gets me is

""Doctors and other health professionals will be asked to identify people who are "vulnerable to being drawn into terrorism" as part of the government's redrawn counter-terrorism programme to be detailed on Tuesday""

Read that carefully..

""vulnerable to being drawn into terrorism""

They are innocent people, they haven't walked in and said they are about to blow up anything.
edit on 7-6-2011 by Mister_Bit because: Spelling

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
it could very well be the case that this program itself could radicalise anyone scooped up into the net. after the potential lengthy interrogations, isolation and ongoing suspicion, some may have lost their jobs and with the stigma attached with neighbours cautious and whispering afoot, decide they have nothing to lose. i suspect once in the 'zone', any innocent individual either suffers the stigma or fights against it and then possibly on the weight of the doctors report is sectioned under the mental health act. hello club med (ication)!
i do believe the BMA is unhappy with this proposal. seems mr cameron is attempting to create a fast track nhs on many levels.
what next? treatment based on credit report? or could this already be in the system under postcode lottery?
btw mr cameron according to the bbc text service today states that he will take full responsibility for the changes in the nhs. whats the penalty for fubar i wonder? lecture tours and pr for gs,jpm etc etc.
f

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Mister_Bit

""vulnerable to being drawn into terrorism""

Makes sense. Find the easily indoctrinated and get them on your side. I wonder will they be given a job working for the government instead. With sum sugar to sweeten the deal.

Also as Kevin mentioned earlier the hippocratic oath doesn't go as far as people think, and not just in the extreme case he mentioned. For example your doctor's secretary will often know basics of your ailments if anything needs chased up or appointments made for certain procedures. Your chemist will also have a very good idea what your suffering from when you pick up a prescription.

They are human and of course they discuss things of a personal nature. The whole being struck off scenario only happens in extreme cases, where it can be fundamentally proven. For example on one occasion I was in my GP and 'overheard' (they were talking loudly between two rooms) the nurse discussing with the secretary a man who had just been in suffering from erectile dysfunction, and how they felt sorry for his wife.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by fakedirt

Now you are seeing the bigger picture.

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 04:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

it was also reported on bbc text that lulz security had wrote the nhs a polite letter regarding their inability to protect and secure the electronic database. apparently an nhs spokesperson replied that there was no problem whatsoever. heads in the sand?
the database as you will probably know is suffering the same problems as many patients of the nhs. it's broken, has already spent several hours (years) in a and e and has quietly been asked if it wants to go private. will that be debit or credit card madam?
as with many policies,id cards another example, some buffoons poured money into certain companies who sold the idea with a silver tongue but didn't realise how complex the project would become.
so, the consideration now, is, due to the doctor informant proposal, will the creaking nhs database be used to hold the information on suspected dissidents and will it become a bigger target to be attacked?
f
f

posted on Jun, 11 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
It doesn't mean your going to be arrested and thrown in prison on what some doctor says. If somebody comes in rambling about wanting to blow stuff up and seems very agitated they should notify the police. Possibly they may look into your background and forward it along to a higher agency or something along those lines.

Same as doctors having to report gunshot wounds or rape.

It's just another tool to get more information to fight terrorism and like it or not this world is not the same as it was 20 years ago as much as everyone would like it to be.

If the UK is like the States, there has always been the ability to report people who are going to do something harmful to themselves or others. What’s different now is they added they undefined words(1) Vulnerable and (2) Terrorism

1. “Vulnerable” is a nice and undefined word. A three year old could be vulnerable of being drawn into something when he is 18. And exactly what makes someone “vulnerable”? You bet there are no specific studies. It’s going to be based on the doctor’s own racial/religious and political bias.
2. “Terrorism”. All the supporters mentioned “bomb” – but in reality “Terrorism” has taken on a much broader term to include people who do not support violent acts.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join