It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Sock Monster

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
This took place last week Thursday 2nd June 2011.

In the UK we have a nickname or at least I have always known it as the "sock monster" who is responsible for small items going missing and then turning up later but as this item was to do with my laundry the sock monster seemed the perfect suspect.

To understand this a week prior I had put some washing out on the line and a similar thing happened whereby I had put several pairs of socks in the washing machine and all but one pair came out complete, in other words one sock from a pair missing.

However on that occasion I noticed when I came back in through the window that the missing sock had wound up in the sleeve of a shirt that was hanging on the line so on that occasion that mystery solved.

So back to last week, the laundry done and hung out on the line with a bit of spare space at the end of the line for anything extra etc. Getting to the end of the basket there was one gray sock, so I immediately thought of the previous weeks mystery and checked the other clothing on the line and then the washing machine drum.

I checked both and nothing, and concluded that I would throw out the one odd sock but for the time being left it wet in the basket by the washing machine and went out on my bicycle leaving the washing to dry on the line.

As a bit of a laugh before I left I even made a joke post about it on Facebook - Sock Monster

I went out on the Trans Pennine Trail and did a circuit of just short of 15 miles and returned home just after tea time, checked the washing and concluded that I would bring it in when it started to get dark.

I did the usual stuff, had a shower, had some late tea then decided to bring in the washing and picked up the basket by the washing machine and there in the basket were two gray wet / damp socks.

I immediately told my friend who had "liked" the status that morning and it amused him I know it happened ! but none the less, it didn't freak me out or scare me, it more amused me than anything else.

As a side note a few weeks ago a very small bag a screws went missing not a few moments after I put them down that were needed for the construction of my new office desk. I therefore decided to go and make a cup of tea and said / paraphrase "I would like the screws back please, they are needed to finish this desk, I'll be back in a few minutes with a cup of tea, put them back where I left them" and when I returned there they were !
edit on 7-6-2011 by excelents because: spelling correction

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:00 AM
link   
sounds like a Yattering to me
clive barker wrote a short story about it.
www.myspace.com...

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
Yeah the Sock Monster won't leave me alone either

I swear he keeps stealing my homework and USB's and then secretly puts them back in an obvious location just after I don't need them anymore!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
The sock monster is the only mythical beast I believe in. I have evidence, My sock draw is just a mish mash of odd socks, survivors of the Sock Monsters insatiable appetite for socks.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:19 AM
link   
Ohh. xD That happens to everybody. I'll even have things in my hand and look for them. I've actually sat and texted my friend to ask them if they could call my phone because I lost it. You can imagine how confused they were. xD

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:28 AM
link   
there is also the hole in time theory:
when you put something down it falls through a hole in time and it won't appear again until you look where it should be a specific number of times (ratioed to how desperate you are for the object).
also explains why you keep going back to "where it should be" to look again when searching for the missing object

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by BobbyShaftoe
sounds like a Yattering to me
clive barker wrote a short story about it.
www.myspace.com...
yes i believe this is right when darkside jumped the shark
midget painted red = failed demon

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by excelents

Sock Monsters

I wrote a little story about sock monsters once upon a time.

Enjoy!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I have also felt that it helps to ask for the items back.
A firm and assertive voice is what seems to have the best effect on these monsters.
Funny to see that this is a global phenomenon

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evilene
I have also felt that it helps to ask for the items back.
A firm and assertive voice is what seems to have the best effect on these monsters.
Funny to see that this is a global phenomenon

I tried that with some money that I had lost or couldn't account for, on that occasion that didn't pan out sucessfully lol.

On the other hand with the screws I needed them so I did ask firmly but nicely but with the sock I didn't I had resigned myself on throwing the odd sock away until I decided to bring the washing in and noticed it.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:20 AM
link   

"I would like the screws back please, they are needed to finish this desk, I'll be back in a few minutes with a cup of tea, put them back where I left them" and when I returned there they were !

Yes I have had to do that on several occassions. One time those little monsters (house fairies) did this with my car keys at a very inconvenient time (I needed cigs) and I had to say what you said and turned from the kitchen(in the archway between the dining room and kitchen area) and actually heard the keys being dropped on the kitchen tile floor behind me!
They are some rascals! The sock monster is another thing altogether, he specifically deals with socks and has caused much chaos in my home (kids yelling at me cause he took one sock from their favorite pair socks!) And accusations of not putting complete pairs of socks in the wash! If I ever find a way to exorcise this demon I'll let you know...you don't know how much havoc he's wreaked in my life!!!!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
the sock monster is the bane of my life
it anoys the hell outta me when i put 2 socks in the machine and 1 comes out!!!! i even retort to yellin at the machine LOL

iv also had experiences were iv put my lighter down...right in front of me, went to pick it back up and it aint there
i then search all over for it just to sit back down and guess what...its were i put it

i usually shout out to no one in particular * put the damned thing back now*

edit on 7/6/11 by ronishia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
reply to post by staciebee

Great story, and I have no doubt those little monsters do laugh at us as our vein pops out on our foreheads and we rant and rave and blow a gasket, all the while they're laughing *chuckle chukle chuckle* If I ever spot one, just like your main character, I think I will strangle it!!!!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ldyserenity

"The sock monster is another thing altogether,

It wouldn't be so bad if there was someone else in the house, but I'm single and live alone !

posted on Jun, 16 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Hello,

My wife and I totally agree with this thread. However I am pretty sure these "Sock Monsters" aren't monsters at all. We believe they are the "Harvest Spirits" mentioned in the old testament of the bible. They are mundane little spirits that work on the behest of Yahweh. Coming in many shapes and sizes, some fly some are short. They take the likeness of Gnomes, Fairy's, and various other creatures; because they are spirits we cannot see them. They are extra dimensional beings.

I believe that according to their type, they tend to take and or use various objects and consumable products.

One thing I know for sure is that they also have the ability to fall.(don't give a fairy chocolate) Just like angels do. Hence they are very afraid of mankind for they fear Yahweh more.

new topics

top topics

join