It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Palin fans attempt to rewrite Paul Revere’s Wikipedia page

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
S & F.

You know, you just can't make crap like this up. I mean, if you put it in a novel nobody would buy it.

My ladylove voted for Obama, and I voted for McCain. Every time I hear her start to cackle out in the living room I just yell out "OK. What has she done now?" because I know it's another Palin-drone. By the way, I am copyrighting that turn of phrase for my retirement.

The intent of the riders was to alert the townsfolk along the path of the Redcoats, and to warn Hancock, Adams and other leaders of the insurrection that they were targets to be arrested.

The colonists didn't think of themselves so much as British subjects as Americans, and that disaffection with the crown was one of the reasons the atmosphere was so ripe for revolt. The last thing Revere & company would have done is specifically ride to warn the "Torries" as British loyalists were known.

Revere only warned the British once he and others were captured by the British regulars; they bragged and blustered about the force the Redcoats would face. This served to sew confusion in the ranks of the British, with the Redcoats finally deciding to return to their commanders to advise them and to obtain further instruction.

EDIT: it was a helluva busy night, with no small number of comedies of error.
edit on 7-6-2011 by mydarkpassenger because: added

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
I'd bet if you gave all elected officials in the Federal Government a history exam, most would fail, regardless of Party.

What is missing this election cycle that is actually important, is a discussion of relevant issues. Everyone on both sides is busy slinging mud, but then you were taught that by whichever side has you fooled.

Keep up the smear campaigns from both sides and you can all proudly say, I helped destroy America.

Yet another two years of meaningless hate and smear campaigns. At least people are predictable.

We are in deep waters here drowning and what is at the top of the News? Weinergate and an error by Palin. It's amazing how stupid the American voter has become.

You folks do know this thread reads as if written by children. Are you?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by mydarkpassenger
I know it's another Palin-drone.

Palindrone?
Is that one of them things that does not make any sense either backward or forward?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by SubPop79
You are all arguing about the real story of Paul Reverse but I think the main point here is that if Revere had a gun, a bell, and a horse, he would probably need three or four hands.

Stephen Colbert gave it a try last night.

Not sure I can embed stuff from CC so here

Watch him ride a horse, load and shoot a musket, and ring a bell.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by aching_knuckles
I am done caring. This country is like a fat woman who keeps going back to her abusive drunk boyfriend, then says "You just dont know him!". It deserves what it gets, I am getting out of here.

edit on 7-6-2011 by aching_knuckles because: (no reason given)

Holdup.
Sounds like you are heading the same way I am by that.
edit on 7-6-2011 by Antiquated1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
hence why wikipedia is a horrid source of information

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by amaster
Yet Barry states:

"It is just wonderful to be back in Oregon. And over the last 15 months we've traveled to every corner of the United States. I've now been in 57 states; I think one left to go."

And no one seems to care.

Hypocrites

I can't believe I really have to ask this question, but do you even know or truly understand the definition of "hypocrite"? Did someone, speaking out against these revisions, previously attempt to add seven "new" states to the wiki list in an attempt to justify Barry's gaffe?

I know partisans find it impossible to stay on topic whenever a politician's name comes up, but the issue here is not of a politician making verbal gaffe; it happens to everyone (regardless of what side of the convoluted "aisle" they claim to represent).

The issue here is that there's clear evidence of people intentionally trying to re-write a public resource in attempts to justify a gaffe that was made.
edit on 6/7/11 by redmage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by here4awhile
hence why wikipedia is a horrid source of information

Actually, no. IT was other wiki user who noticed the error and corrected it. Wiki is, on average, quite accurate. IT should never be considered more than s starting point for further research, but to reject it out of hand as 'horrid' is just inaccurate.

The great ting about wiki is it can be changed. Prior to wiki, most of us had to defend on 'official' word from large tomes consolidated by a handful of select scholars, who we all know are never entirely neutral. And yet those pages could not be 'changed', although at times might be revised in ensuing years.

Any error found on Wiki is generally corrected quite quickly because it ISN'T just a handful of schalars, but a community of hundreds of thousands.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

I disagree. There are certainly SOME posts that can be construed as juvenile, mainly from those dancing as they try and spin this into an anti-Obama thread, or some other shell-game. But there is also a meaningful discussion about the length some will go to defend their politicians' moronic gaffe. Ijust suspect you are choosing not to see that.

But, all in all, as with everything Palin, it is nothing more than an amusing aside. But then, aren't ALL the GOP candidates this cycle (except for poor Dr. Paul).

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by amaster
reply to post by Antiquated1

The corrilation that I brought up with the misspeach of both the president and Palin in regards to US history is that when he did it, no one seemed to care. It went virtually unnoticed by the media and the public, since as we all know, Obama can do no wrong. Yet when the media bullzeye Palin makes a mistake she is villified and branded a moron. That is what is hypocritical, not the OP.

Again, I don’t support the lady, but neither do I support this unfounded public hatered of her. The fact that Obama sucks is irrelevent.

edit on 6/7/2011 by amaster because: (no reason given)

And therein lies the point. You Palin apologists attempt to make this about some unseen 'liberal hypocrisy', and try to compare a simple mis-speak to a completely fumbled 'err, uhh... freedom... er... guns...uhhhh, bells' response. It's pathetic. Just tae your lumps.

But then again, that's the entire POINT of Palin. No matter WHAT she says, your response will be the same; 'bu bu bu bu.... obama once stuttered..' She could burn the flag while claiming the US was founded in 1976 by George Washington Carer and you people would be blaming 'the liberal media'...

get over it. Shes an idiot. If she's truly so inconsequential (as I agree she is, she's merely a celebrity) then why spend so much time bemoaning 'the left's' (which is totally inaccurate, btw, since even FOX called her out on it---into that I expect you te be fair or factual with your portrayal, but there it is) treatment of her?

Maybe if your party gave more attention to REAL politicians like Dr. Paul, instead of celebrities like Palin, you wouldn't be so mad at the 'left'?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
How much crap gets re-written on wikipedia on a daily basis? Honestly. Are people even still using wiki as a "reliable" source of information?

Anyone who trusts anything on wiki is as dumb as they think Palin is.

None of this matters anyway. None of us can sit here and say we would be able to quickly recall everything or anything from history. Even if we can do so sitting at our comfortable computer chairs, who is to say we could do the same in a high pressure interview or a town hall setting?

Everyone makes mistakes and talks nonsense sometimes. Palin is no more an idiot than Obama or Bush or Clinton or anyone else.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537

That's really not the point at all, is it?

Everyone makes mistakes and talks nonsense sometimes.

But, AGAIN, it wasn't just a mistake. One owns up to a mistake. She continues to claim her portrayal of events was accurate, while blaming the 'liberal media' for a 'shout out gotcha question' (a what?). It is humorous because it displays what everyone in America knows about her--she's a vapid celebrity taking up space while the GOP figures out how to avoid running anyone serious.

Palin is no more an idiot than Obama or Bush or Clinton or anyone else.

Sigh You people make it hard to not defend Obama, but comparing his intelligence to Palin is like comparing the local weatherman to a rhodes scholar. One has to have their partisan blinders drawn tight to pretend palin is anywhere near 'intelligent'.

But go ahead, pretend bashing Obama absolves Palin of her stupidity. It only proves where your allegiance lies.
edit on 7-6-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
It's funny how the palin-defenders try and claim that anyone critical of Palin is a 'liberal obamabot' or some other such thing.

Liberals do enjoy hating her. It's easy fruit. But most ACTUAL conservatives (not you pretend conservatives who vote GOP every time but play dress-up libertarian) I know despise her, too.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96
reply to post by incrediblelousminds

examples of the lefts revisionist history

fdr

how many americans today know that he cheated on his wife?

how many americans today know that fdr locked up and threw her own american citizens into interment camps?

how many americans today know that fdr stole private property from the american public 2 fold one by confiscating american gold and stealing the gold from fort knox?

how many americans know that fdr was the creator of fanny mae?

just a few examples of the so called strawman.

it is a fact that real american history is no longer taught in the country.

what you call partisan logic i call putting the topic into proper context.

I assume you are referring to the internment of West Coast Japanese-Americans.
These are the frameworks for Massachusetts high school curriculum.

USII.17 Explain important domestic events that took place during the war. (H, E)
D. the internment of West Coast Japanese-Americans in the U.S. and Canada

So how did the lefties in one of the most left states in the union allow this into their curriculum? Huh strawman? Thought so!!! As for FDR cheating on his wife, I find Eleanor's long term relationship with Lillian Faderman more interesting. The blanket statement that "real" American history is not taught anymore is blatantly incorrect and misinformed.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

so its not ok for palin supporters to write anything on wiki but its ok for obama supporters to do so.

to set the record straight i do not support any revisionist history of any kind.

What a joke Neo

You got stars for that too

Someone blow this place up already

so its not ok for palin supporters to write anything on wiki but its ok for obama supporters to do so.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
Perfect title to the thread

Entertainers have 'fans'. Politicians have supporters.
Palin is always entertaining.
edit on 7-6-2011 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyk537
How much crap gets re-written on wikipedia on a daily basis? Honestly. Are people even still using wiki as a "reliable" source of information?

None of this matters anyway. None of us can sit here and say we would be able to quickly recall everything or anything from history. Even if we can do so sitting at our comfortable computer chairs, who is to say we could do the same in a high pressure interview or a town hall setting?

Everyone makes mistakes and talks nonsense sometimes. Palin is no more an idiot than Obama or Bush or Clinton or anyone else.

So in essence you are sanctioning the re writing of history on a very popular, open source because of what???

I think the GOP faithful reaction here bothers me just as much as the attempt

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by incrediblelousminds

Sigh You people make it hard to not defend Obama, but comparing his intelligence to Palin is like comparing the local weatherman to a rhodes scholar. One has to have their partisan blinders drawn tight to pretend palin is anywhere near 'intelligent'.

I never said she was 'intelligent'. My point was that everyone makes these mistakes, Palin is obviously no exception.

But go ahead, pretend bashing Obama absolves Palin of her stupidity. It only proves where your allegiance lies.
edit on 7-6-2011 by incrediblelousminds because: (no reason given)

I didn't bash Obama. I simply included his name in the same group as others who have made similar "mis-speaks" or whatever they're called at the time. You're a little too defensive of Obama my friend, and my allegiance is to nobody but myself and my family.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Janky Red
So in essence you are sanctioning the re writing of history on a very popular, open source because of what???

I'm not sanctioning anything here. My point was that wiki is not a reliable source in the first place, and anyone who is getting their American history from wiki is just as ignorant as Palin is.

And the fact that it is "very popular" doesn't change a thing. It's still an idiots encyclopedia.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join