It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German officials: Sprouts not cause of E. coli outbreak.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   

German officials: Sprouts not cause of E. coli outbreak.

yourlife.usatoday.com

BERLIN (AP) – In a surprising U-turn, German officials said initial tests published Monday provided no evidence that sprouts from an organic farm in northern Germany were the cause of the country's deadly E. coli outbreak.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I did a thorough search, and did not find another submission to the BAN forum. Apologies if this is a repeat.
~~~~

So, we have gone from blaming veggies coming from Spain, to bean sprouts grown in Germany, and now the scientific community in Berlin does not know where this deadly strain of E. Coli is coming from. From what I understand, it is resistant or downright immune to most forms of anti-biotics. I've been following this story for many days and it seems to me that there is something that is being left out in the MSN. It's only a feeling, but something doesn't seem right.

According to the news source, this is the deadliest E. coli outbreak in modern history. This has already claimed 22 lives, and over 2,300 have been sickened by this outbreak.

So, do we have a contamination worry? Is this the result of using too many anti-bacterials/anti-biotics, or is this a lab engineered strain that was released?

I hope that the scientists can solve this problem soon.

But I won't start panicking until the people infected start craving human flesh....then I'll KNOW that the SHTF.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

yourlife.usatoday.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

guardian.co.uk
edit on 6-6-2011 by truthseeker1984 because: edit to add news source

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I had another thought that I debated on adding, but to be fair, I have to address all the potential causes of this outbreak.

Bio-terrorism.

Is it possible that this outbreak of E. coli is some sort of "retaliation" for the "death" of Bin Laden? This is of course pure speculation, and I'll leave my own thoughts out about whether his death was authentic or not. I have not found any sources that have indicated that a terrorist organization has taken credit for this outbreak, nor do I think we will see any. This is just another thought I had while researching this breaking news story.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Strange how the story keeps shifting isn't it?The scientists don't seem to have a clue where this came from do they?
Don't worry about it too much though-So long as you keep good hygiene you should not catch this new bug.
Of course,its very serious or even fatal for some of the poor folks who have been unlucky enough to catch this,but it should be easily preventable in the future I think.
Wash your fruit and veg,and wash your hands when you use the toilet/ATMs/public buildings etc.
Thats the best defense IMO.

Common sense really.

I do wonder how this "new strain" of E coli has emerged-Was it natural,or was it the result of animals being fed GM food maybe?
Maybe feeding animals GMOs has nudged this new strain forward,creating different compounds in animal waste,which is then used as slurry to fed our crops...?
Hmm I speculate.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by truthseeker1984

People should just cook everything thoroughly unless they grow it themselves for a while, until the cause of the outbreak is located and dealt with. It is really surprising that they are having so much trouble tracking it to a source. It seems like similar outbreaks here in the States were tracked more quickly, though it could just be perception on my part.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse
Strange how the story keeps shifting isn't it?The scientists don't seem to have a clue where this came from do they?
Don't worry about it too much though-So long as you keep good hygiene you should not catch this new bug.
Of course,its very serious or even fatal for some of the poor folks who have been unlucky enough to catch this,but it should be easily preventable in the future I think.
Wash your fruit and veg,and wash your hands when you use the toilet/ATMs/public buildings etc.
Thats the best defense IMO.

Common sense really.

See, this is where our opinions may differ a bit. I agree good hygiene is a good way to prevent diseases, but according to sources that I have read, this strain of E. coli is resistant to most forms of anti-biotics. I think this is a result of the "sanitizer culture" that we have created. People use anti-bacterial everything these days, and I have to think to myself whether or not this is a good or bad thing. When an organism is under attack, it adapts to survive. Humans have been exceedingly efficient at doing just that. It seems to me that this E. coli strain has done the same thing. The only way to prevent this from spreading is to cook all the veggies all the way through, and for several minutes in a roiling boil.

I do wonder how this "new strain" of E coli has emerged-Was it natural,or was it the result of animals being fed GM food maybe?
Maybe feeding animals GMOs has nudged this new strain forward,creating different compounds in animal waste,which is then used as slurry to fed our crops...?
Hmm I speculate.

That same thought has gone through my mind as well. GMO foods may or may not be a cause of this new strain of E. coli, but until more scientific data is released, I fear we may never know the actual cause.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Wow, this is good news really.

I just wish the officials and experts would get it right before they wipe out
peoples business and reputation.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander

People should just cook everything thoroughly unless they grow it themselves for a while, until the cause of the outbreak is located and dealt with. It is really surprising that they are having so much trouble tracking it to a source. It seems like similar outbreaks here in the States were tracked more quickly, though it could just be perception on my part.

I agree with you 100%. Cooking foods in a roiling boil will help to kill this strain of E. coli (or any strain, really). But it seems to me that your perception is correct concerning the similar outbreaks in the US. It seems that these strains were quickly traced back to a source, and everybody was back to normal in a few weeks. Now that the German Scientists are stumped again, I wonder how they will even trace this strain back to the source...

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker1984

I would say "No." Pretty definitively.

E.Coli is just not the type of bug any decent bio terrorist would spread, imho. One, most people will not think its "terrorism" because these kinds of outbreaks happen regularly. So, any terrorism that isnt identifiable AS terrorism to the people, will not induce terror, and, thus, fail in its goal.

If KILLING people were the goal, and not inducing terror, there are tons of things more effective and efficient than E. Coli, so I think its highly unlikely this is bio-terrorism. Or its the worlds most amateur bio terrorist organization.

I think its just another consequence of "free trade" and the corporatization of everything. When operations get big and complicated, quality and environmental controls often come down. E. Coli outbreaks are relatively common, and usually have an "innocent" explanation, (accidental contamination of fields with feces contaminated water) and odds are, (literally, the odds say) this is just another case of accidental contamination and its just bad luck and the result of our overdependence on antibiotics that has made this strain more virulent.

In fact, since antibiotic abuse is common in many meat farming operations, the anti biotic resistant strain of E. Coli could well be coming from water contaminated by runoff from some meat farm. Just my guess.

edit on 6-6-2011 by Illusionsaregrander because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by burntheships

Wow, this is good news really.

I just wish the officials and experts would get it right before they wipe out
peoples business and reputation.

In one way, yes, this is good news, but in another way, this is exceedingly horrible news. The Germans are back to square one concerning this outbreak, and it seems that they have not made any headway in finding the cause or the source. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what they come up with next.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Illusionsaregrander

Agreed, but I figured that I would add the "bio-terrorism spin" before I got flamed by the fear-mongers for not including it.

People should just go back to growing their own "victory gardens" as it were. There wouldn't be the problems with E. coli, and if there was, then it would be the individual grower's own fault.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
The problem is that the outbreak started some time ago and has affected a lot of people over a very wide area. Finding a common link between all the victims is not easy.

btw am I the only one who was confused by the OP reference to sprouts? That means brussel sprouts to me, not beansprouts.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
The problem is that the outbreak started some time ago and has affected a lot of people over a very wide area. Finding a common link between all the victims is not easy.

btw am I the only one who was confused by the OP reference to sprouts? That means brussel sprouts to me, not beansprouts.

I just quoted the article's head line, as per the T&C for breaking news stories. Apologies for the confusion.

Peace be with you.

-truthseeker

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
A bacteria that is resistant to multiple classes of antibiotics is either man-made or a freak of nature due to over use of antibiotics in farm animals and possible GM crops as feed. I am beginning to feel that this is one of three scenerios 1)either a bio-terrorist attack or 2) a possible attempt at destroying yet more food crops around the world. Spring European vegetable crops are going unsold in European markets due to the scare or 3) a false flag attack in that it will be blamed on a particular Middle Eastern country and used as the justification for war.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 02:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthseeker1984

So, we have gone from blaming veggies coming from Spain, to bean sprouts grown in Germany, and now the scientific community in Berlin does not know where this deadly strain of E. Coli is coming from. From what I understand, it is resistant or downright immune to most forms of anti-biotics.

That's my understanding too. Specifically, from the "abusive" pratices with antibiotics in animals such as cows and chickens.

It's also great to know we get to eat the antibiotics too!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:35 PM
link   

They are using this to target foods that may not even be the culprit. The end result will be a loss of more organic foods on the market. Crazy that a single incident will result in such a loss.

While researching this, I found this scary information too:

“…Still, Americans get more irradiated foods than they realize. About a third of commercial spices — the kind added to processed foods — are irradiated, says Eustice, who's also a consultant to the Food Irradiation Processing Alliance.
About 30 million pounds of imported produce, mostly fruits such as guavas and mangos, get a low-dose zap, not enough to kill germs but to kill any foreign insects along for the ride.”
--www.msnbc.msn.com...

Amazing how much garbage we're being fed and how little nutrition is in our foods and products. It's no wonder we're all suffering from one ailment or another...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
I struggle to consider this out break to be an out break, E-coli has been with us for a long time , my friends grand daughter nearly died of it three weeks ago. Like the flu it grows and mutates but it is still what it is . Panic and paranoia is what tptb want from us plebs, so that when they announce the cure/vaccination/new laws or what ever we will humbly agree, all the while they exert more control and we lose any that we once had, remember the "flu pandemic", we were all gunna die unless we had this great flu vaccination, meanwhile back at the ranch medical staff refused to take it and the majority of the plebs refused it and I dont need to tell you the outcome, do I.

disease is a real thing , its just that it origines can be a little iffy at times

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I thought this was a good article on the subject:

www.naturalnews.com...

-------------------

Want to know where this e.coli really came from? The abuse of antibiotics in factory animal farms.

Factory animal farm operations, you see, raise cattle, pigs and chickens in such atrociously bad and dirty conditions that they have to pump them full of antibiotics just to avoid the rapid spread of infection. This constant dosing with antibiotics creates the perfect breeding ground for superbugs in the guts of these animals.

Then, these animals defecate and drop billions of e.coli bacteria with their stools which are then collected and used as crop fertilizers. So the crops are actually grown in this stuff that's contaminated with animal fecal matter containing antibiotics-induced superbugs.

-------------------

On the practical side, what can you do to protect yourself from e.coli contamination of vegetables? There are FOUR simple things you can do:

1) EAT LOCAL. Grow your own food and / or buy from local farmers' markets.

2) WASH YOUR VEGGIES. If you wash them well, even e.coli won't be a problem. The e.coli is only present in those veggies that aren't adequately washed.

3) TAKE PROBIOTICS. The more "friendly" bacteria you have in your gut, the less space there is for toxic e.coli to take hold. The secret truth about these infections -- that you're not being told -- is that virtually everyone infected with toxic e.coli is someone with compromised digestive flora. Taking probiotics gives you a buffer against invading nasties.

4) AVOID ANTIBIOTICS. Most antibiotics are prescribed to humans by clueless doctors who prescribe them for things like viral infections and asthma, none of which are treated in the least by antibiotics.

-------------------

I think I'm gonna keep taking that probiotic I've been taking ;-)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Just came across another good article on that same site:

"Forensic evidence emerges that European e.coli superbug was bioengineered to produce human fatalities"

www.naturalnews.com...

hmmmmmmm ....
edit on 7-6-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Spain's Nuclear Safety Council says thieves stole equipment that contains a low-level radioactive material, after a break-in at a construction company in Madrid. The council said in a statement Sunday that the equipment, which is used for measurement of steel structures, may pose risk if opened. It said the case containing the device is clearly marked as containing radioactive material. The council said thieves stole the equipment from the company's safe during a robbery on Sunday.

new topics

top topics

join