It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Profit - Prophet ? is there a difference

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
I had a thought today, is there really a difference between prophet and profit. when did the word profit come into existence and does it stem from Prophets.

Profit

Profit may refer to: Profit (accounting), the difference between the purchase price and the costs of bringing to market Profit (economics), has two related but distinct meanings: Normal profit and Economic profit Profit (real property), a nonpossessory interest in land

Prophet

In religion, a prophet is an individual who is claimed to have been contacted by the supernatural or the divine, and serves as an intermediary with humanity, delivering this newfound knowledge from the supernatural entity to other people. The message that the prophet conveys is called a prophecy.

Traditionally, prophets are regarded as having a role in society that promotes change due to their messages and actions.

In the late 20th century the appellation of "prophet" has been used to refer to individuals particularly successful at analysis in the field of economics, such as in the derogatory "prophet of greed". Alternatively, social commentators who suggest escalating crisis are often called "prophets of doom.

I just love how the Wiki definition of Prophet says right at the top "Not to be confused with Profit."

The word Prophet derives from Greek cults, prophets interpreted answers to questions put to oracular mediums or oracles.

The word profit comes from the Latin noun profectus for “progress” and the verb proficere for “to advance.”

the similarities are there, from the Wiki article prophets are regarded as having a role in society that promotes change due to their messages and actions.

the root of the word Profit comes from Profectus = Progress and Proficere = to advance

from reading the definitions and roots of the words I feel even more so now that Prophets and Profits and are almost one in the same.

prophets for profit.. LOL anyway I hope you enjoyed my train of thought.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Look at Harold Camping hes like prophet and gained alot of profit lol

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
In my opinion, most 'Prophets' are in it for the profit... so no, there is no REAL difference between the two...

A 'Prophet' is just a self-proclaimed Psychic with a religious slant...

join