It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the heck is this!?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Im waiting to get the photo uploaded so I can post the pic. This moth spider thing was approx 6-8 inches high and approx 5 inches long...The photo was taken by a friend who was golfing in Pennsylvania...This thing is amazing Im waiting for it to get into my email so I can upload it, never have seen anything like it. Got the pic!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
Looks to me like you encountered a Polyphemus Moth.
Clicky for info and pictures on these large moths.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
That is one very plump moth

Here is a site that might help you to identify it.

Moths of North America

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
That is a really interesting looking member of the order lepidoptera (moth). Pretty neat looking one at that. Thanks for the pic. S&F.

Lepidoptera

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

That looks like a spider with a pair of wings on it. I wouldn't stop to take a pic of it, i'd burn it, burn it with fire.

/shivers

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Yeah I've seen some big moths, actually ate one before for 50 bucks of the poly order that someone posted above, but yeah this thing was shocking to see, i didnt take the photo myself but when a friend showed it to me i almost # me pants...Ive seen the hummingbird hawk moth a few times, those are awesome...Thanks for all the info everyone!
edit on 6-6-2011 by logicalthinking because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
There are some spiders that mimic the look of other bugs. For instance, there is spider that looks like an ant. Well, the body of it looks like an ant. The long eight legs sorta gives it away. Lol! I love coming across insects, flowers and whatnot that I am not familiar with. The search to find out what it is is fun!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by snewpers

That looks like a spider with a pair of wings on it. I wouldn't stop to take a pic of it, i'd burn it, burn it with fire.

/shivers

thats what i thought aswell

*runs away screaming*

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
WOAH! That's amazing! It looks like a tarantula off to a moth fancy dress party!! lmao... I can't see any others online when I google.. not that obese anyway.
Perhaps this one has 'gland problems' like my Aunt keeps telling me she has...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Hang on..... it has 8 legs?

Moths only have 6.... I smell photoshop!

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   
OK I retract that... although it DOES look like it has 8 legs... I found this:

bugguide.net...

Antheraea polyphemus

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Its looks like a hybrid between a moth and a spider......freaky.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:35 AM
link   
Last week my niece caught a Luna moth with an eight inch wing span.

I would like to have seen your reaction to it.

Oh, did I mention she is a girl !

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
looks like photo shop to me

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
This is definitely not an altered photo. That is a real moth and more specifically a Male Polyphemus Moth. They are known to have wingspans that exceed 5 1/2 inches. They are also inhabitants of Pennsylvania. The marking on the wing shown matches exactly the front wing of the Polyphemus and it also fits the size description and the body and antennae are spot on.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
it looks like a spiderfly

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by adam76

Not photo shopped my friend...sorry...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   
Look at the antennae, and the fact that both wings are on the other side of the spider's body. Looks to me like the spider caught the moth and is holding it in its jaws.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SaberTruth

There is no spider in this photo. You are being tricked by the angle of the moth. The antennae are perfectly set between the two front legs. The leg, furthest to the left is the front leg on the opposite side of the moth's body. There would be a total of 6 legs if you could see all of them. I cannot believe people are still debating this. It is undoubtedly a male Polyphemus moth..

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by ZiggyMojo

Look again at the wings: both are on the right side of the body, if the antennae are where you say.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join