It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Apple Is Patenting Technology That Will Allow Its Devices To Be Crippled In Certain Situations

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   
Welcome to the future everyone.

The patent itself, U.S. Patent #20110128384 uses the phrase, “classified facility” as an example of a venue where the devices would be crippled.

That's right Apple are attempting to patent technology that will allow signals to be sent to your phone that will cripple its recording functionality if at a classified facility or concert. the patent in question can be viewed here.

The implications of such a patent give me goosebumps. How long would it take for this technology to be mobilised and police officers having hand-held devices capable of preventing their sometimes questionable activities? Not to mention other professions. If it were extended beyond record functionality, this would be devastating to our rights even further.

Source: Cryptogon - a different source with images and more clearly explained on a New York Times blog post.

edit on 5-6-2011 by DigitalSea because: More clarification of what I posted.

edit on 5-6-2011 by DigitalSea because: Changed titled

edit on 5-6-2011 by DigitalSea because: Added NY Times blog post.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by DigitalSea

The patent itself, U.S. Patent #20110128384 uses the phrase, “classified facility” as an example of a venue where the devices would be crippled.

That's right Apple are attempting to patent technology that will allow signals to be sent to your phone that will cripple its recording functionality if at a classified facility or concert. the patent in question can be viewed here.

Source: Cryptogon

They do not need a patent to deploy the technology, patents only
protect perceived property rights.

They have these types of firm/hardware already in place and fully
functional right now.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Version100

Originally posted by DigitalSea

Source: Cryptogon

They do not need a patent to deploy the technology, patents only
protect perceived property rights.

They have these types of firm/hardware already in place and fully
functional right now.

The very fact that this kind of technology could and would be implemented spells disaster. It won't just be used for protecting the rights of copyright holders, it'll be abused by every single person that wants to hide something. Police cars, political demonstrations.

I also understand that Apple don't need a patent to implement this technology.
edit on 5-6-2011 by DigitalSea because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:58 PM
link   
This is typical Apple. The moral here is dont buy an iphone, unless you want to be owned by apple.

They really are the fisher-price of smartphones anyway, If I owned one I'd be ashamed of it.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
The solution is for every hacker to have a device that can transmit the kill code and deploy them everywhere during every major apple press event, among others.

Go ahead, Apple, build your own abortion.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   
...and hackers will figure out how to cripple peoples devices too. Of course hackers will also figure out how to disable it so it doesn't work, or un-cripple it when it is crippled.

-edit-

reply to post by Atlantican

Great minds think alike.

edit on 5-6-2011 by gift0fpr0phecy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

I agree. It only stands to reason. Also, if so secret, why announce it?

ColoradoJens

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atlantican
The solution is for every hacker to have a device that can transmit the kill code and deploy them everywhere during every major apple press event, among others.

Go ahead, Apple, build your own abortion.

That's exactly what I'll do as soon as the code goes public. Hopefully it works on the iPad and iTouch as well. And hopefully there's a kill code also. That'd be awesome! Go into a Starbucks, press the button, and watch everyone there freak!

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Apple = The Root of all Evil

The site below sums up my thoughts exactly

The Snake and the Apple

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
you pay $800 for an oversized iphone, and they can cripple when and were you use it, according to their arbitrary reasons.

whose product is it. i didn't know their products were rentals. that's why i hate apple. if i buy an ipad from you, when you receive my money, the product is no longer yours.

that's the basic concept of a market economy.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
reply to post by EvolEric

What the? I had no Idea Otter-man was in that story!

ColoradoJens

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
Apple is killing them selfs. People are not very likely to but something that is almost guaranteed to fail when they may need it most. There is going to be a day coming that owning a recording device of any kind is going to be like owning a gun. First you will need 7 day waiting period to buy that new camera at Wal-Mart and then you will need a permit to carry the thing outside you house. Where is the madness going to end?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Ive seen someone post that crap website before, so now I think it is spam.

The apple from Apple Inc. has nothing to do with Adam and Eve and the apple story. Apple's original logo depicted Isaac Newton and the apple that fell from the tree that supposedly helped Isaac Newton contemplate gravity and the laws of motion.

edit on 7-6-2011 by gift0fpr0phecy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by DigitalSea

What's really funny is that they don't need to patent anything...it is still next to impossible to get a consistent signal on their phone...is that what they mean by "certain situations". Perhaps before they build a phone that can be crippled on purpose, they should make it do what it was supposed to do in the first place.

CJ

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColoradoJens

What's really funny is that they don't need to patent anything...it is still next to impossible to get a consistent signal on their phone...is that what they mean by "certain situations". Perhaps before they build a phone that can be crippled on purpose, they should make it do what it was supposed to do in the first place.

CJ

ha ha ha absolutely spot on!

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Funny. I've never had a problem with signal on both my iPhones. But then again - I don't live in USA, and I'm being told europe has better coverage, even my village-like Poland

And again... both Apple and Google have kill switches. Most developers know this. It's not Apple per se. It's the direction the world is going.

I know this site spreads fear and panic but... get a grip on yourselves

Soon everything will be in the cloud. And yes - companies will controll their devices and goverments will track your PC (windows 7 anyone?). It's the final destination of the capitalistic economy. You cannot escape it

Just live your live till you die

Pease and Love

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by gift0fpr0phecy

Ive seen someone post that crap website before, so now I think it is spam.

The apple from Apple Inc. has nothing to do with Adam and Eve and the apple story. Apple's original logo depicted Isaac Newton and the apple that fell from the tree that supposedly helped Isaac Newton contemplate gravity and the laws of motion.

edit on 7-6-2011 by gift0fpr0phecy because: (no reason given)

Regardless of where the name Apple comes from, it's still crap.

One new gadget after the other, only marginally better...iPad and now iPad 2. And now we have iPhone 5. It's getting out of hand. They are just greedy. They keep reinventing the wheel, instead of making something new.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Don't worry. Someone will root it or create new firmware for it to deactivate it. Although, could you mount a device on license plate like those polarized lens to disable toll, traffic, security and police cameras? Will there be more powerful laser pointers to burn out IR transmitters so you can film movies or concerts?

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   

I see a business oppurtunity involving low-tech phones with cameras, or just small cameras.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

whilst there are certain features on products that would make me buy one over an other, there are also functions that turn me away from a product and would turn many others away to.

we cannot dictate to them what they can do with their product, all we can do if we do not like it is not buy it.
edit on 7-6-2011 by lifeform11 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join