It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CERN Scientists Trap Antimatter for Almost 17 Minutes

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Good discussion I likes cause im LEARNING. Thanks all

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
Another article on this news can be found here..

Stick Up: Antimatter Atoms Trapped for More Than 15 Minutes

Maybe antimatter is finally ready for its close-up. A team of physicists has succeeded in producing rudimentary atoms of antimatter and holding on to them for several minutes, an advance that holds hope for detailed comparisons of how ordinary atoms of matter compare with their exotic antimatter counterparts.

The researchers, from the ALPHA antimatter experiment at CERN, the European laboratory for particle physics, reported last year the first trapping of antihydrogen, the simplest antimatter atom. But the antihydrogen had at that time been confined for less than two tenths of a second. That interval has now been extended by a factor of more than 5,000.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
DAMN...

I just made a thread....Delete when ever...

But this is REALLY SERIOUS....

Everyone talking about Nuclear hazards. If one of these
"Antimatter/Matter Reactors" safety is breached. Its bye bye...

But then again, its WILL be woth it.

Spacetravel
Spacetravel
AND
Spacetravel........

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Very cool.. yet very scary! The logical goal: to be able to hold anti-matter indefinitely... to what end? If history is an accurate guide, men like to make bombs out of everything, be it a water bomb, nuclear bomb and everything in between. I have little confidence that anti-matter would be an exception to the rule. In fact, Discovery Channel had a whole show dedicated to this particular use of anti matter.

My next issue with CERN would be that they would also try to hold onto a mini black hole should they make one. There is a fine line between ambition, curiosity and stupidity. I'm not sure we have the maturity as a species to match our scientific prowess.

IRM

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
reply to post by thePharaoh

Makes me wonder if black holes are really just antimatter... I mean, it's negative which should attract possitive, and whatever goes in is annialated.. so.. hmmmm

just a thought.

But I'm with you. When you take two of the same to make a new something else, how is it something that's supposedly already exist when it takes two of something that does exist to make something that we arnt really sure if it existed before. Anti matter just seems like a biproduct of real matter effects - not a counterpart.

(shrugs) I'm no scientist, just putting together what 2 and 2 my mind can understand... Unless it's given to me in a way I can truely understand it.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by thePharaoh
reply to post by chr0naut

all they trapped is matter "IN THE PROCESS" of becoming anti matter.....how can you trap something that doesnt exist..actually, the essence of non mass...really its ridiculous...

what they have done is slowed down decaying of matter...once it becomes antimatter...then it doesnt exist, and they dont have sensors to read this...so they have only mapped the process up until it becomes antimatter...they havnt trapped antimatter itself...

really its like pure mystic BS...
edit on 5-6-2011 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

What are you talking about. They created anti Hydrogen by "sticking together" positrons (anti electrons) and anti-protons (protons with -ve charge). This is not the first time but what is important is the duration of the containment. Containing anti-matter is the tricky thing since as soon as it comes into contact with matter it decays.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by j-man

Antimatter is technically not unstable, it is unstable in our universe's conditions, because our universe is predominantly matter. It is possible for there to be another universe in which antimatter is the primary component, in that case matter would be labeled unstable.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by splittheatom
reply to post by Version100

Yeah I guess I should have used a smaller scale.

Anyway this goes to show how creating this stuff isn't dangerous...untill we make it on the large scale, which will probably never happen. The energy produced per kilogram from a matter/antimatter collision is 9x10^16 J, so large scale production would never have to happen.

its not dangerous...its like trying to create ice in the furnass of a volcano....it will become unstable and always decay at a rate faster than the speed of light......and all this is to see if antimatter reacts to gravity...well untill they understand that gravity is a result of electromagnetic forces...then this experiment is a waste of time

"waste of time"?
That's an incredibly broad ( and I might add" short-sighted statement)...
(Sorry: I 'll side with the "PHD's" here...)

This is wonderful news of akey piece of information regarding the world we live in.Whether these anti matter atoms react to gravity or not: either way we also learned something about gravity and matter
"two birds with one stone"!!!. 1,000 seconds is an astounding achievement.I don't understand your negativity here..

edit on 6-6-2011 by 46ACE because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-6-2011 by 46ACE because: structure

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
Very cool.. yet very scary! The logical goal: to be able to hold anti-matter indefinitely... to what end? If history is an accurate guide, men like to make bombs out of everything, be it a water bomb, nuclear bomb and everything in between. I have little confidence that anti-matter would be an exception to the rule. In fact, Discovery Channel had a whole show dedicated to this particular use of anti matter.

My next issue with CERN would be that they would also try to hold onto a mini black hole should they make one. There is a fine line between ambition, curiosity and stupidity. I'm not sure we have the maturity as a species to match our scientific prowess.

IRM

I could not have said it better! While I love knowledge and seeking out more information there is a line one must draw.
Curiosity killed the cat! Its possible..... that we are playing around with fire. The risk is humanity...that to me should be law breaking but what do I know...I am just a puppet.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 08:27 AM
link   

reply to post by Version100

Yeah I guess I should have used a smaller scale.

Anyway this goes to show how creating this stuff isn't dangerous...untill we make it on the large scale, which will probably never happen. The energy produced per kilogram from a matter/antimatter collision is 9x10^16 J, so large scale production would never have to happen.

its not dangerous...its like trying to create ice in the furnass of a volcano....it will become unstable and always decay at a rate faster than the speed of light......and all this is to see if antimatter reacts to gravity...well untill they understand that gravity is a result of electromagnetic forces...then this experiment is a waste of time

Wait so you are saying you know more about this than CERN scientists?

Gravity is quite the opposite to electromagnetic forces. Nucleons are repelled by e.m. forces, but attracted by gravity, so I don't think gravity is the product of e.m. forces.

Plus you are saying it decays faster than the speed of light, but decay is measured in seconds, speed of light in meters per second.

The antimatter isn't travelling anywhere, so why are you trying to compare it's decay to light speed?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

Am I missing something or is this article a complete lie?
CERN Scientists????
or Montreal Scientists???

Canadian scientists 'bottle' antimatter
www.montrealgazette.com...

What am I missing here?

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
CERN scientists must be doing it the hard way...

Apparatus And Method For LONG-TERM Storage Of Antimatter

Uses microwave energy from SDARS to run autonomously...

When it comes down to it, remember the general public does NOT have the latest and greatest technology. Maybe CERN represents the general public and the military industrial complex has one, or many, buried underneath some mountain range?

Almost forgot, Bob Lazar has his own particle accelerator in his back yard...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
i'm waiting for a statement by some theoretical physcisist that the experiments here on Earth are causing disruptions in the time-space continium out there in the Cosmos....

something to do with non- local symmetry or something like that..
ie a trapped antimatter chunk here will cause a unacceptable presence of another chunk of antimatter someplace else --->>> and that other place gets annihalated, unexpectedly !
because of our tampering with stuff we don't know enough about
edit on 6-6-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

My Geek-Meter has pegged! Just imagine the fuel for space ships, power here on earth, fueling the Mars Station. . . . . .
*giggles*
Science is so much fun!
edit on 6-6-2011 by beezzer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

reply to post by berilium

Even so, you would need more than the mass of the Earth to annihilate the planet.

Mass of anti-matter that equates the Earths' mass to destroy the planet? That would be enough to destory the Sun!

One gram of anti-matter has the same potential energy as the fuel required to launch the Space Shuttle into orbit.

One trillionth of a gram is enough to vaporize a human. We're talking about some seriously powerful stuff here.

Researchers are entering dangerous territory when they want to contain anti-matter. While the news of containing the substance for over a quarter of an hour is mind-boggling, we can all be happy that it was only a minute amount.

If anti-matter is going to be produce for fuel, then we need to find a way to use it as soon as it's created, but the energy that goes into creating anti-matter would not justify it with current technology.

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 46ACE

really i dont get how they can trap something when they dont know the conditions it exists in...once theyr sensors read the fusion between the atoms...its is already void...theyre sensors have picked up antimatter with a percentage of decay...what do you think the level of this percentage should be for this to be significant enough.
i think

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Intelearthling

The energy might be produced, but it depends what forces are produced. Fair enough if a huge amount of e.m. force or a kinetic force is created then yeah we are going to get ripped to pieces, however if a kilo reacted with a kilo of antimatter we would only lose a kilo of our universes matter, perhaps less.

I mean a battery can store energy and the planet doesn't get destroyed. The energy produced by annihilation won't destroy a planet, but the application of the antimatter could.

And the reason I said more antimatter would be needed to annihilate the Earth is that based on the Hot Big Bang hypothesis, in the beginning there was both matter and antimatter, they 'came together' annihilated each other and made a huge amount of energy and...matter. (But of course this is just a theory).

I've got an exam on nuclear physics and the universe in 2 weeks and this stuff is part of the content, so I've been trying to brush up on my knowledge
edit on 6/6/2011 by splittheatom because: (no reason given)

edit on 6/6/2011 by splittheatom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Intelearthling

reply to post by berilium

Even so, you would need more than the mass of the Earth to annihilate the planet.

Mass of anti-matter that equates the Earths' mass to destroy the planet? That would be enough to destory the Sun!

One gram of anti-matter has the same potential energy as the fuel required to launch the Space Shuttle into orbit.

One trillionth of a gram is enough to vaporize a human. We're talking about some seriously powerful stuff here.

Researchers are entering dangerous territory when they want to contain anti-matter. While the news of containing the substance for over a quarter of an hour is mind-boggling, we can all be happy that it was only a minute amount.

If anti-matter is going to be produce for fuel, then we need to find a way to use it as soon as it's created, but the energy that goes into creating anti-matter would not justify it with current technology.

Actually 1 gram of antimatter has the same potential energy as 1 gram of matter.

posted on Jun, 7 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Did they have HAARP operating then?

Lol, just being sarcastic.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Amazing! I hope that a lot of new knowledge will be presented from their experiments...Maybe the DOE will update their text books with accurate information.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join