It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Peace caravan" crossing Mexico to protest drug war

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

(Reuters) - Hundreds of Mexicans began a weeklong caravan on Saturday to protest the country's bloody drug war, led by a crusading poet whose son was murdered by suspected cartel hitmen.

This great. I hope that this brings some attention, but unfortunately the monsters in the Mexican cartels have a stranglehold on Mexico. I also hope this march doesn't bring reprisals from said cartels. They don't like people standing up to them.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American

(Reuters) - Hundreds of Mexicans began a weeklong caravan on Saturday to protest the country's bloody drug war, led by a crusading poet whose son was murdered by suspected cartel hitmen.

This great. I hope that this brings some attention, but unfortunately the monsters in the Mexican cartels have a stranglehold on Mexico. I also hope this march doesn't bring reprisals from said cartels. They don't like people standing up to them.

/TOA

ya I'm sure they won't like what they find...but I suppose if something were to happen to these people they'd really get the attention they wanted on the subject I'm sure

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
I wish them the best and really hope this will help turn the tide against the cartels. But I worry as long as the demand is coming from the US nothing is gonna change in Mexico, greed trumps all.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
i wonder how long they are going to want peace when one or all of them get beheaded because there belief gets in the way of cartels making their billions of drugs.

there is no reasoning with them

i am just waiting for those post in this thread that says they are all cia operatives
edit on 5-6-2011 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by neo96

They are all CIA oper...er...nm.

I don't know if this will do any good. But we can hope it does.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

i hate to be the negative nelly in the thread but it wont change a thing.

sad but true.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:46 AM
link   
When the inevitable occurs,and I truly will hate this,how about we learn marksmanship in protest.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
It is sad that Mexico is gaining a reputation for being a nation where crimes against humanity are widespread.
It makes one wonder if Mexicans arive in the USA without proper security checks if some of these thugs are settling in America and murdering US citizens in secret also.
What is goibg on ib Mexico?
Why is there so much violence?
Latin People have contributed much to the world , why is Mexico now a place of such poverty and turmoil?
Where is the law and order?
Should the USA send in the troopsa nd clean the drug cartels out?
I love Tacos and used to watch speedy gonzalez on the cartoons every week, now there seem to be millions of speedys in Mexico.
Why are there so many drugs?
Cannot the USA HELP mexico?
We could give them some oil or something , anything to wean them off the drugs.
The tourist industry must be getting hammered?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

It is sad that Mexico is gaining a reputation for being a nation where crimes against humanity are widespread.

What is happening in Mexico is a direct cause of the drug war in the USA. The US is very good at outsourcing their crimes against humanity.

Why is there so much violence?

The escalation of the drug war is the source of the violence..... and it exists in the USA as well.

It started as a disagreement until someone used their fists to "prove" their point. Then the other person brought a knife. Then the other responded in kind. Then someone brings a gun and the next thing you know, bombs, tanks, and predator drones are the norm.

All because of the initial disagreement.

Latin People have contributed much to the world , why is Mexico now a place of such poverty and turmoil?

Mexico is largely feudal. There are super rich (the richest man in the world is Mexican) and there is super poor. The middle class is relatively small. This has been the case since the Spanish invaded way back when.

hould the USA send in the troopsa nd clean the drug cartels out?

Sure..... if they want to perpetuate the war and lead the charge on even more violence against all sides.

Why are there so many drugs?

People like them. Humans have a long history of substance use.

Where is the law and order?

They are too busy shooting dogs, killing innocents, and bringing in the occasional drug bust in order to maintain the illusion that they are helping.

Cannot the USA HELP mexico?

By continuing to fight the drug war, we can first help by ending it.

We could give them some oil or something , anything to wean them off the drugs.

The drugs in Mexico are largely bound for the USA. Thats where the market for drugs is. Europe is also seeing an increase in the use and trafficking of drugs.

People like drugs. The drugs themselves tend not to be the problem as much as the prohibition of them. When the government bans something people want, a black market is set up. Black markets precipitate crime because the nature of the market itself is criminal. Violence tends to be the means in which disputes are resolved in the black market. Al Capone anyone?

If we were to escalate the war on (some) drugs even more, we should expect the violence to get closer to our doorsteps and possibly in our homes.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

the reality and answer is quite simple

adversity and abject poverty creates the market for the good being sold ie drugs.

they use those drugs as an escape for their own nitemares.

a happy people and sucessful people is a detriment to the drug trade.

the worse off they are drugs thrive.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Thanks to the above two members who lessened my ignorance on Mexico at least.
It does seem on balance if the Governments Legalised Drugs for those determined to use them, many social problems in Mexico may be eased.
I truly feel sorry for the Average Mexican surrounded by violence and death.

new topics

top topics

join