It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gamma Ray Lasers - The Mother of All Lasers!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
There seems to be much speculation and debate as to this devices existence. Given the recent advances in science and technology I believe we have it already.
The effects of the weapon are just as debated as its existence, but either way they all are devastating!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e64c10fa1071.jpg[/atsimg]

A little old but a lot of awesome:
Fragile particles rarely seen in our Universe have been merged with ordinary electrons to make a new form of matter. Di-positronium, as the new molecule is known, was predicted to exist in 1946 but has remained elusive to science… The discovery, reported in the journal Nature, is a key step in the creation of ultra-powerful lasers known as gamma-ray annihilation lasers. “The difference in the power available from a gamma-ray laser compared to a normal laser is the same as the difference between a nuclear explosion and a chemical explosion,” said Dr David Cassidy of the University of California, Riverside, and one of the authors of the paper. “It would have an incredibly high power density.” As a result, there is a huge interest in the technology from the military as well as energy researchers who believe the lasers could be used to kick-start nuclear fusion in a reactor.
We think they should mount them on autonomous robots and see what happens. If the robots form an army and destroy all of humanity, at least we’ll go out in an explosion of pure awesome.

Link to Story

Mirror particles form new matter

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/456f9e3ac384.jpg[/atsimg]

Dr Cassidy believes that increasing the density of the positronium in the silicon would create an exotic state of matter known as a Bose-Einstein condensate (BEC).
Bose-Einstein condensate are like a super-atom
BECs are usually produced by supercooling atoms so that they merge and begin to behave like one giant atom.
They have been used in many experiments such as the 2003 Harvard study in which scientists were able to trap light.
"At even higher densities, one might expect the material to become a regular, crystalline solid," wrote Professor Clifford Surko, of the University of Californian, San Diego, in an accompanying article.
Taking it one step further, scientists could use the spontaneous annihilation of the BEC, and the subsequent outburst of gamma-rays, to make a powerful laser.
"A gamma-ray laser is the kind of thing that if it existed people would find new uses for it everyday," said Dr Cassidy.
He highlighted an experiment at the National Ignition Facility (NIF) in the US where scientists envisage using 192 lasers to heat a fuel target to try to kick-start nuclear fusion.
"Imagine doing that but you no longer need hundreds of lasers," he said.

Link to BBC full Story

The production of molecular positronium

It has been known for many years that an electron and its antiparticle, the positron, may together form a metastable hydrogen-like atom, known as positronium or Ps. In 1946, Wheeler speculated that two Ps atoms may combine to form the di-positronium molecule (Ps2), with a binding energy of 0.4 eV. More recently, this molecule has been studied theoretically; however, because Ps has a short lifetime and it is difficult to obtain low-energy positrons in large numbers, Ps2 has not previously been observed unambiguously. Here we show that when intense positron bursts are implanted into a thin film of porous silica, Ps2 is created on the internal pore surfaces. We found that molecule formation occurs much more efficiently than the competing process of spin exchange quenching, which appears to be suppressed in the confined pore geometry. This result experimentally confirms the existence of the Ps2 molecule and paves the way for further multi-positronium work. Using similar techniques, but with a more intense positron source, we expect to increase the Ps density to the point where many thousands of atoms interact and can undergo a phase transition to form a Bose–Einstein condensate. As a purely leptonic, macroscopic quantum matter–antimatter system this would be of interest in its own right, but it would also represent a milestone on the path to produce an annihilation gamma-ray laser.

Nature Link

I just started researching this an hour ago and am thirsty for more information.
I will add information as I find it but right now I am trying to discover the effects of this weapon, which seem to be all a matter of speculation (If a source lists the effects, then they are saying it exists at the same time).
Theoretical knowledge is primarily what is out there right now but hopefully one of us on this site 'clicks' the right link that opens up a door to this subject more clearly.

Thank you for any help and comments. . . AB

Here is a link to one old ATS thread. Has some good points but nothing outside theoretical realm:
ATS Thread from 2005
edit on 6/4/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

now all we need to do is retro fit them to sharks

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Is your first picture meant as a rendering? It is actually an image of the Fermi Gamma-Ray Space telescope being calibrated with a low power optical laser.

I remember reading a si-fi novel about earth building a giant, one shot gamma ray laser to irradiate a fleet of approaching alien craft. Neat premise. Sorry, can't remember the name of the book

edit on 4-6-2011 by dainoyfb because: My IPad likes to autocorrect things that are already correct.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dainoyfb

It may be an example of some other laser, I don't believe it is Fermi.
It was posted along with the first Link in my post.
It has no further explanation.

Good question. . .
edit on 6/4/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by AnteBellum

Good question. . .

It looks to be the MAGIC gamma-ray telescope on La Palma in the Canary Islands...

13 more things: MAGIC results

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
very interesting.

I have some freinds at the RAL site in UK who having been working with peta watt laser (and other multi stream lasers) for many years, i wonder if they have any insight into the technology that would allow a gamma ray laser. I wonder what they would do with it if they got their hands on one, i think thats a discussion for a pub dinner somtime. Will let you know what they say

Nice find, whats the pic of the red lasers being focused? (or is it just for effect) (EDIT: oops didnt read one of the posts explaining its origin)
edit on 5-6-2011 by Biigs because: added edit text

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   

Gamma-ray bursts can release more energy in 10 seconds than the Sun will emit in its entire 10 billion-year lifetime! So far, it appears that all of the bursts we have observed have come from outside the Milky Way Galaxy. Scientists believe that a gamma-ray burst will occur once every few million years here in the Milky Way, and in fact may occur once every several hundred million years within a few thousand light-years of Earth

From NASA Kids
science.hq.nasa.gov...

Guess they tell the adults something different.
Only outside the Galaxy.

I thought they were part of nuclear occurrences but didn't check any further.
I see that the frequency is very high.

There are rays or particles that Tesla found and said we are surrounded by them.
They hit the atomic nucleus and are the cause of natural radioactive elements.

The Tesla finding sounds like the back scatter radiation found to be part of the Big Bang
Theory now but others might think differently and his rays are different.

So the Gamma Ray laser looks difficult to make.
What I do know is Tesla made Radium by using High Voltage sending an
electron into the nucleus which responded by sending out a Helium nucleus
and an X ray. Millions of volts were use so this Gamma Ray laser must use
used controlled nuclear explosions.

This sounds like part of the Reagan Star Wars Program and was probably
around from the time we knew how to make Gamma Rays.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
i belive the main problem with making a gamma "laser" is the amplification process, remeber gamma energy level photons tend to go straight through stuff including normal mirrors.

*REMOVED*
edit on 5-6-2011 by Biigs because: mistake removed

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drunkenparrot

Originally posted by AnteBellum

Good question. . .

It looks to be the MAGIC gamma-ray telescope on La Palma in the Canary Islands...

13 more things: MAGIC results

WOW
thank you for that link the information contained is very important for the resurch into lensing that im doing
and the unexpected difference in time of detection is expected in one of my models

to the op
i hope we never see this technology used on the people of this planet

xp

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
"The burst's high-energy gamma rays arrived at the telescope 4 minutes later than the lower-energy raysMovie Camera. Both parts of the spectrum should have been emitted at the same time."

this, really REALLY makes me think....

EM should travel at the same pace, yet higher energy levels make it.... SLOWER....

I think we will be having to burn alot of old phsyics books and replace them really soon.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

The "Honor Harrington" series mention these weapons.
Shrike-class light attack craft (LACs) of the Royal Manticoran Navy carried a single graser

GAMMA-RAY LASER (GRASER) - A DIRECTED ENERGY WEAPON (DEW) under DoD's WEAPONS SYSTEMS TECHNOLOGIES (WST). The projection of coherent electromagnetic (EM) energy to a distant target at the speed of light. [www.dtic.mil] Also called Gamma X-ray laser. NOTES: (1) Grasers can be small-size devices. (2) GRASERs penetrate deeply into targets and can produce a range of lethality from SOFT KILL to HARD KILL. (3) GRASERs are being considered ( circa 1999 ) for space appkication against missiles and satellites. (4) Propagation through the atmosphere is attenuated, but a GRASER could attack targets from space to as far down as 40 km above the ground. (5) Countermeasures against GRASERs are difficult because of the deep penetration of its beam.
www.sew-lexicon.com...
edit on 5-6-2011 by 7thcavtrooper because: I missed some items of interest

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

The book Star Warriors by William Broad gives a very insightful overview of the efforts made by the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory to develop an effective gamma ray laser as part of Ronald Reagan's vision of SDI.

Seriously crazy stuff as the mechanism used a nuclear weapon as an energy source. The idea was to have a cloud of nuclear stimulated single use lazing satellites that would project multiple beams at multiple targets when the bomb was detonated. The program was quite advanced, I believe there were a half dozen live tests during the 80's that showed a lot of potential in the theory.

Fortunately, the U.S. and the former Soviet Union only took 30 years to see that beating the proverbial snot out of the planet was an all around bad idea and were able to tone the rhetoric down through diplomatic means to where things like nuclear stimulated gamma ray anti missile satellites were deemed unnecessary.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Drunkenparrot

There was also something about iron pipes that would concentrate the rays that
leaves how to get the heavy pipes in orbit. Well I remember the artists drawings
and of course some sort of description of the operation.

The technology is perhaps under elite ban from use by ether Russia or America
since Germany made great strides before the end of WWII and is under their control.
The cooperation dating back to a 'mathematics' conference in 1955.

The Russians probably thought Reagan didn't know what he was doing and would have
OKd the use of the banned technology. Sort of like JFK going to the Moon with two
different technologies to choose from. Going for the wrong one perhaps suggested by
Von Braun may have been more hazardous than going against the FED. Thus we
still do not know of the secret way to go to the Moon but the STAR WARS program
might just have had some technology that could not be used.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Great thread, very interesting. You get a star and a flag!! It's kinda funny, because I was watching some show on science channel or something and they were talking about gamma ray bursts. I started thinking, man, I wonder if you could weaponize that somehow or make an artificial gamma ray burst or beam. Bam, here it is. I wonder if this is the technology they're using in the new "directed energy weapons" that they claim they are testing. Like that 747 they fly around with the round ball on the front. They say it's a laser, but I'm willing to bet they're not telling the complete truth about what type.

posted on Jun, 8 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by deesul69

The Zeus Laser is a different laser type but still very effective.

A Gamma Ray Laser theoretically would split any atoms it came upon which is why they are probably in use as nuclear arms triggers right now, eliminating the need for explosive munitions to start the process.
If a gamma ray laser hit a human being, it wouldn't be pretty!

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I've only dealt with co2 lasers in the past. If I had my hands on 18 gamma ray lasers!!!! Here is what I'd do, I know because I did it with co2 lasers.
I'd buy 18 non linear optic crystals and shoot the lasers through them at different angles to create different images, then hook the laser matrixes into a spinning array and watch it explode.

Like this:
Green Laser Pointers in a Blood Tube Centrifuge Spinner with course grinded non linear optical crystals aiming at a central point above the center of the machine causes holographic projections when a prism is placed on the part!!!!! Hot!

OI guess that's like 3d mapping for weaponry?

top topics

join