It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Supernova Spotted in Whirlpool Galaxy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Hubble Space Telescope image shows off the Whirlpool galaxy as it looked before this week's supernova eruption. credit: STScI/AURA

. credit: Stéphane Lamotte Bailey

Another awesome find of one of the most powerful forces in the universe, by 2 amature astronomers. With the advances in technology it is becoming easier for the average enthusiast to capture rare cosmic events and cellestial bodies that may have otherwise took the scientific community years to discover.

A cosmic celebrity gets some superstar treatment! This week while patrolling the night sky with their telescopes two French backyard astronomers independently managed to snag digital images of a supernova explosion caught in the act – with all the action occurring within the Whirlpool galaxy 31 million light years away. On May 31st one amateur noticed a new star embedded within one of the spiral arms of the distant galaxy where there wasn’t any before. By the next evening other amateur stargazers and robotic supernova patrol telescopes clued in as well and the alarm was sounded to the worldwide observing community.

Link

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Very cool.

Seems your .gif image isn't working, try direct from the source...

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Thanks man. I appreciate that.
The animation gives the perspective a bit more clarity.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Very interesting indeed.

The wonders of the universe are infinate.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by highfreq

This is all the way awesome! thanks for posting this
The SN looks huge. This is very exciting. As a star watcher I love stuff like this. Cheers! S&F
edit on 4-6-2011 by AB173-1970 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 10:32 AM
link   
That must be a ridiculous feeling, being able to proclaim that you found something 'new' up there.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
What's different?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Dang, I was observing it just days before it happened. Thats twice now that I narrowly missed discovering one in the whirlpool.

new topics

top topics

join