It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What happened to the Sphinx excavation?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
A while ago it seemed there was an excavation underway under the Sphinx paw. What ever happened to that?
I have not seen or heard anything about that in a while. I know Egypt had the uprising recently so I am sure if any work was being done was halted. This was over a year ago I believe when it was reported though.
I wonder if it was all a hoax in the end. Does anyone have any info on the progress or if it was deemed a hoax or not?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

I believe Egypt's antiquities 'Nazi' Zahi Hawass shot the idea down as ludicrous.

We have to wait till he retires if they ever let him!
edit on 6/3/2011 by AnteBellum because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by AnteBellum

I thought it had been approved and already started though. I think there was even some pictures floating around. I will have to see if I can find them.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I recall even seeing video of people pulling bags of things out of a pit that was said to be in proximity to the Sphinx. May have ended up a hoax.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
it got buried...

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   

The Sphinx is carved from layers of limestone bedrock. A lot of people have an idea that it's a constructed statue lying on the bedrock but it's part and parcel of the same layers of bedrock.

The formation of limestone means that cavities form and the Sphinx is no different. The water table also plays a part in eroding existing cavities and is a major problem for the preservation of the Giza plateau. These cavities beneath the Sphinx have been drilled and investigated. Japanese and French research teams have used sonar or radar (from recollection) to identify the cavities. Beyond the already known tunnels in the Sphinx enclosure, these explorations have yielded no interesting results.

ETA: here are some links to look at...

Radar survey at Sphinx

Chambers beneath the paw...

Is there a chamber beneath the paw?

edit on 3-6-2011 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
I saw a documentry abut this excavation on Australian TV some years ago where there was a big 'bulb' at the botton of 'well' that could be clearly seen on ground penetrating radar readout. Whats hsppened since I have no idea so interested in this myself. No doubt uncle sam has since doug it up.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 11:59 AM
link   
For those wondering, here is the thread discussing this subject.

I too wondered what happened to this news story, whether it turned out to be real or a hoax. It seemed to have been forgotten or lost in the shuffle of all the other major news stories we have had since then.

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky

The Sphinx is carved from layers of limestone bedrock. A lot of people have an idea that it's a constructed statue lying on the bedrock but it's part and parcel of the same layers of bedrock.

The formation of limestone means that cavities form and the Sphinx is no different. The water table also plays a part in eroding existing cavities and is a major problem for the preservation of the Giza plateau. These cavities beneath the Sphinx have been drilled and investigated. Japanese and French research teams have used sonar or radar (from recollection) to identify the cavities. Beyond the already known tunnels in the Sphinx enclosure, these explorations have yielded no interesting results.

ETA: here are some links to look at...

Radar survey at Sphinx

Chambers beneath the paw...

Is there a chamber beneath the paw?

edit on 3-6-2011 by Kandinsky because: (no reason given)

Thanks for that update Kandinsky. Well it seems there may be nothing under there after all. Well that's the way the ball bounces sometimes. I was hoping they really would find some hall of records down there, but I suppose it can put to rest some of the conspiracies about a great hall of records under the sphinx.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Just to jiggle the fuse, hammer the detonator and pour kerosene on the damp squib so as to keep Kandinsky employed by the debunking department of the Empire of Luxembourg...... it COULD be a lot deeper maybe>>>>>>>>> (these are psychic waves>>>>>>>>>it's 2,120 meters beneath the surface?

Hans the ferricadouzer of Kandinsky!

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Hanslune

...surely placing the chamber in very wet circumstances? The papyrus would be papy-was and the paints - feints.

It's very nice to see you back on the boards Hans. A year's recuperation seems a high penalty for posting on ATS.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kandinsky
reply to post by Hanslune

...surely placing the chamber in very wet circumstances? The papyrus would be papy-was and the paints - feints.

It's very nice to see you back on the boards Hans. A year's recuperation seems a high penalty for posting on ATS.

Hey Kandinsky they would have put it in a large plastic bag - you really need to start thinking outside the box! Naw, I was overseas* for a year teaching and that organization blocked ATS, so I switched to Unexplained Mysteries and that got blocked too. Then that country went into revolt. So back in the USA but unfortunately I start a new job tomorrow and I'll have to see what the situation is there.

*Was able to see a number of the collections and sites for the Dilmun-telmun civilization

Nothing much changes, the same fringe stuff repeated over and over again, with the odd pearl of information here and there but becoming rarer and harder to find.
edit on 5/6/11 by Hanslune because: Spelled Mr. K's name right

edit on 5/6/11 by Hanslune because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   
According to alternate perceptions article by Greg Little:

Another drilling project, essentially at the exact point where Edgar Cayce stated the chamber is located, is about to take place. Zahi Hawass will present the results at the ARE’s Annual Ancient Mysteries Conference later this year, however, ARE members will know the results before then

apmagazine.info...

posted on Jun, 6 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Should probably add that I believe this time they are going down at an angle, based on an idea ARE had from a possible depiction of a chamber on the Stela in front of the sphinx.

So, it's a bit different than the one just done. Also that one encountered problems due to the water table.
edit on 6-6-2011 by EthanT because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join