It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Zealand scientists find new fault line beneath Canterbury

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   
theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com...
www.odt.co.nz...
more earthquakes are hitting new zealand each year and scientist are investigating the earthquakes ever since that 7.1 earthquake last year. within next year the chances of a 6 or a 7 magnitude earthquake is at a 23% chance of happening. Niwa's research vessel Kaharoa, equipped with seismic gear, surveyed an area of about 800sq km of southern Pegasus Bay to map fault structures under the seabed but most of the offshore faults move slow so there would be most likely a small earthquake and The survey had revealed a previously unknown offshore fault that was about 25km-long and capable of generating an earthquake of magnitude 6 to 7. so the fault lines are going to be studied more to prepare for the next big earthquake. so if that means if there is going to be bigger fault lines in the future that means there is going to be bigger earthquakes.
edit on 3-6-2011 by alex1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by alex1

I read about this the other day but before it landed up in the NZ Herald. I've been saying all along there are new fault lines through Canterbury and more new ones are starting to spring up in the North Island they're not aware of yet either.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
there are new fault lines everywhere if they would of study those new fault lines there would be a little warning of an earthquake.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by alex1

I use afew different charts my family picks up on my facebook for potential EQKs in NZ, have'nt been wrong yet. I think the "big" one they may be expecting within the year is only a probability and I've told all my mates over there to be a wee bit prepared between September and December for 2011. There will be afew shakes of 3. to 6. between now and then.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by alex1

I use afew different charts my family picks up on my facebook for potential EQKs in NZ, have'nt been wrong yet. I think the "big" one they may be expecting within the year is only a probability and I've told all my mates over there to be a wee bit prepared between September and December for 2011. There will be afew shakes of 3. to 6. between now and then.

Oh, nice of you to "pick" when we'll next get shaken.

Seems everyone is a quake predictor these days. Canterbury's faults will do as they will.. when they will.. us Cantabrians need to stay prepared and stop trying to "predict" the next one. There's a 100% chance that Canterbury will get another big one... but no-one can say when.. this week, this month, this year, this century...

There's also a 100% chance that the Alpine Fault will go - but no-one knows when.

"Picking" dates for a new one isn't helpful to anyone - as bad as Moonman.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:19 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Actually, the chances of another big one is not 100%, it's about 70%, but in saying that the Canterbury region is just as equally likely to get a big one as Wellywood.

It's all based upon probabilities ONLY.

Even the US Govt are aware of what MIGHT happen between Sept and Dec, we know a mega shake of an 9.0+ will happen between Sept 2011 - Dec 2012, we just don't know where and when.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by MoorfNZ

Actually, the chances of another big one is not 100%, it's about 70%, but in saying that the Canterbury region is just as equally likely to get a big one as Wellywood.

It's all based upon probabilities ONLY.

Even the US Govt are aware of what MIGHT happen between Sept and Dec, we know a mega shake of an 9.0+ will happen between Sept 2011 - Dec 2012, we just don't know where and when.

Rubbish- it's 100% - there WILL be another big one in Canterbury at some point - they're predicting within a timescale hence they'll say 70%. There have been big ones in Canterbury for as long as records exist. Chch cathedral's spire has been down before. We are surrounded by large faults. It is 100%.

Same goes for the Alpine Fault - 100% it will go. Just don't know when.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
reply to post by MoorfNZ

We'll see.....lets just hope it does'nt happen aye.

But don't expect rebuild in CHCH anytime soon!

new topics

top topics

join