It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gay league can limit straight players

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

Gay league can limit straight players

msn.foxsports.com

A gay softball association in the US can limit the number of heterosexual players on its teams, a federal judge ruled Thursday.

The decision to allow the North American Gay Amateur Athletic Association (NAGAAA) to enforce a rule of two "straight" players came in a lawsuit filed by three bisexual men who claim they were kicked out of the Gay Softball World Series because they "weren't gay enough," the Courthouse News Service reported.

US District Judge John Coughenour wrote in his ruling, "Plaintiffs have failed to argue that there is a compelling state interest in allowing heteros
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I'm not sure how I feel about this. I really don't see a need for exclusionary groups. It divides us all and causes animosity towards one group or another. I remember in college I tried to join a "black" student union because I thought it was discriminatory to exclude whites. I was turned down because I was white.

I asked how this could be and where the "white" student union was and I was told that the "Student Union" was the white student union, however the "Student Union accepted everyone not just whites.

What do you think?

msn.foxsports.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
Who comes up with this kind of news?

Do the heteros feel discriminated against?

Why did they join a gay league in the first place?

What does it mean to "not be gay enough"?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Well, that's just gay. Literally.

A gay softball league is just fine by me. Why this needs to be an issue at all is beyond me. Why a gay softball league needs to be a GAY softball league is, also, beyond me. If a group of people wants to be included and not discriminated against and such, why do they 'exclude' themselves by such things?

ahhh, I don't know...moving along...

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
It's a league for a specific group so there's nothing wrong with it. I'm sure anyone who really wanted to join it could turn gay and be accepted and if not than there are plenty of regular leagues for people to join.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
When the WHOLE of the United States can tolerate Gay Marriages then maybe the Gay League will accept straight players. I dunno whats up with this tbh

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I just wondered how the hell do they know if you're gay? I guess it would be another case of "don't ask, don't tell".

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by kro32
It's a league for a specific group so there's nothing wrong with it.

Really? I can only imagine a heterosexual only league. That would be front page news with all kinds of wailing and moaning about discrimination.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
It's their league. They can make rules and people will just have to be offended - assuming they are so inclined.

Now get back to me if we find our tax-dollars subsidizing the organization, because THEN there would be issues that have a direct bearing on the state.

Why on Earth wasn't this arbitrated? That this actually went to court is telling of someone's need to make noise.... political theater anyone?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
Who comes up with this kind of news?

Do the heteros feel discriminated against?

Why did they join a gay league in the first place?

What does it mean to "not be gay enough"?

Actually, it says that the three men were bisexual - which means they sleep with both sexes.

They probably felt they belonged there until the elitist gay factor decided liking women in the slightest were grounds for alienation.

I'm all for gay rights, I'm all for ALL rights, but when you see something like this it just makes you realize discrimination goes both ways. Here's a prime example of a group that would probably go parade through town, asking for their rights, a few days after denying someone else theirs.

Khar

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by bozzchem

Originally posted by kro32
It's a league for a specific group so there's nothing wrong with it.

Really? I can only imagine a heterosexual only league. That would be front page news with all kinds of wailing and moaning about discrimination.

Normal leagues are fairly straight. At least that is not the focus of a normal league anyways. If someone wants to start something outside of the "Norm" I don't see a problem with it.

You could start up a I love smurf league and even though there might be smurf lovers in normal leagues this one would be specific.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Wrong thread
edit on 3-6-2011 by Dilligaf28 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   
It just goes to show that the only people who can be legally discriminated against are heterosexual, white, Christian, males. Maybe they should start their own private clubs and specifically exclude all others. I mean be right out in everybody's face about it. How long until they were called "nazi's", racists, homophobes, etc... The whole thing makes me

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
you could just imagine the arguments on the commitee about this....

it would have caused 'such a tiz'....

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Surely any man who wanted to join a softball team would have to be gay in the first place ?!

Why wouldn't a hetero just play baseball ?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by sonofliberty1776
It just goes to show that the only people who can be legally discriminated against are heterosexual, white, Christian, males. Maybe they should start their own private clubs and specifically exclude all others. I mean be right out in everybody's face about it. How long until they were called "nazi's", racists, homophobes, etc... The whole thing makes me

They had one not too long ago. It was called the U.S.A.

Was only about 60 years or so ago when white male america was in everyone's face.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maxmars
It's their league. They can make rules and people will just have to be offended - assuming they are so inclined.

Really?

What about when the Boy Scouts were embroiled in the reverse of this issue? I recall that they were totally ostracized and kicked out of using government buildings and churches for their meetings over not wanting to have gay scoutmasters (sort of a potential NAMBLA situation).

Maybe this "gay league" doesn't play their games on city/county owned playing fields - but if it does ...

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by R3N3G4D3

LOL very well said. Was this really, REALLY, really so news worthy that it needed to be a thread? let me guess, the OP is a highly 'religious type' individual? or a closet gay that got turned down by the boy he liked?

Gay equality is not even anywhere near being remotely accepted by even half the worlds population, and the OP is bringing to attention the fact 3 bisexual men were let go of their positions on a 'gay' baseball team. REALLY? well my oh my, the world is really ending isn't it when gay people are actually given the right to discriminate against another minority, and a sexual minority at that! my god, the NERVE! can you EVEN imagine THAT!? Well, my good Lord in heaven above... Wanting to marry one another to show their love and devotion is one thing, BUT choosing who plays on their baseball teams? those gays have gone too far... the beast is here.

.... on second thought, were those players really cut from the team because they were bisexual, or because they sucked? only the good Lord can answer that question, and his husband.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
I find this disgusting, both as a white South African, and as a gay male.
As white South Africans we face affirmative action quotas in almost anything we do.
I know what it feels like to be excluded just because of what you are.

As a gay man I am disgusted, because we fought so much against homophobia and biased attitudes in sport, and finally people want to join us, share our camaraderie and our lockers without fear - and then THEY DO THIS TO THEM?

It makes me want to cry - honestly.
What is wrong with this team?
Maybe they are so young that they think their rights fell out of the sky?
Hello fools - generations of gay people didn't struggle so that you can behave like prissy queens!
I hope nobody plays against you again.
What a disgrace!

edit on 3-6-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join