It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did anyone grow up in the 1980's? The "Other World" toys, and further 80's nostalgia.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Lysergic

Yeah, I remember that!
That and Robotech.

Brings back memories of coming home after school to your mate's house, and they'd put a cartoon like that in the Betamax machine!

And then we'd have those soda stream cool-drinks.
Choose your colored bottle from the fridge, pop it in the machine, and whoosh....
Bubbly refreshment that stained your tongue and your face.

edit on 3-6-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman
Well, the poor Playmobil tribe always had to move from the good spot on the green carpet to the badlands around the couch.

The evil overlords of the living room, just never understood how much work was involved in setting everything up just right. I remembered this earlier, the part that I enjoyed was the setting up. No matter which toy it was, I would spend hours setting everything up just right; vehicles, walls, people, weapons, traps, forts, and whatever else. After I finally got everything exactly how I wanted it, I would look around. Maybe stare at it for a little while, then make a few minor adjustments. Then boredom.

I had no clue what to do with it, once I finally got everything set up just right lol, but that was fine. I still enjoyed it. Actually, if it wasn't for the evil overlords demanding that I put my toys away, most of them probably would have never been played with a 2nd time.

Looking back on it now, I am glad that I was not born any later. I am glad there were no cell phones or internet. The 80's were fun for me.
edit on 6/3/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

That happened to me too!
But never with Playmobil.

I'd always built up the village in great detail in the knowledge that it would be destroyed.
I'd even have little dialogged scenes, and stars and extras.

But with the other action figures - it was mostly building it up, asking everyone to have a look, and then putting it back in the box.

In fact, The Masters of the Universe are still in their box right now.
There's still green slime from 1988 somewhere.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Not entirely sure how this happened or why, but I stumbled upon this site a minute ago.

When Life Was In Black & White
"A depiction of old black and white TV shows of the 1950's and 1960's"

A little before my time, and probably yours too, but I thought it was interesting. It just goes through showing alot of clips from old Black & White TV Shows and some of the songs. I actually recognized more of them than I would have expected. I just thought it was interesting, and wanted to share it.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
BARBIE!

What happened to good old original Barbie! I don't even recognize her anymore. Seems she had some plastic surgery of her own and she is already all plastic! They have turned Barbie into something alien like.

I remember when there was an entire aisle of Barbie, it was like play land and I had to be dragged out of it.

Kids today dont seem to have imagination. They have video games and cell phones.

My friends daughter is 11 and I asked her what they do for fun. They play on their phones, that was their answer! They text each other....I told them was playing Barbie at that age with my sister and friends, they thought I was nuts.

What happened to imagination and playing outside?

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

[color=E18B6B]Originally posted by mblahnikluver
I remember when there was an entire aisle of Barbie, it was like play land and I had to be dragged out of it.
I can't remember which stores, but I can still picture the wonderful toy section lol. Before getting to the store, they would tell me, "Ok. but you can ONLY choose ONE, and that's it." Life would have been much easier for them, if they would have let me pick out 10 each time. Narrowing it down to only one, was too much for my lil brain to deal with.

Kids today dont seem to have imagination. They have video games and cell phones.
That's exactly why too. With the technology of today, there is no need for an imagination. 2nd post on this page ↑↑↑, last/3rd paragraph.

What happened to good old original Barbie! I don't even recognize her anymore.

You may want to sit down for this. A couple years ago, I hired a Private Investigator, to look into this matter. This is what he found. You may have seen some of this on VH1's 'Where Are They Now?'

It all began, in the late 80's. She tried hard to accept it and deal with it. She was able to keep up the facade for several years, but it was not healthy for her mental state. It tore her up inside.

On one side, there was Ken. Everybody loved Ken. Hes always driving around in his fancy Corvette, that is sparkling like it just pulled out of the lot. Who do you think was actually out there crawling around at 4 A.M. with the toothbrush scrubbing the tires?? If you think it was Ken, guess again. Never even a thank you. She was nothing but a maid and a trophy to him.

On top of all of that, there were also the many giants who continued to pull her arms off. Sometimes they would put an arm back on, but even when that happened, they would intentionally put them on backwards. There was also the leg bending. She did not enjoy the feeling from all of those wires pokin' out of her knees and ankles.

After many years of the torment, torture, and abuse, she had finally had enough. She snapped. She left Ken. However, Ken was a little bit smarter than many had realized. Prior to their wedding, he convinced her to sign the prenuptial agreement (that he had written up). She had no idea what she had gotten herself into. It was mostly her money before, but not now. Since she left him, she also left her money.

She had to get an office job. Everybody around the office, really liked her alot. She was a wild one.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/8f6c6433074a.jpg[/atsimg]

That was only the beginning though. After she received this new-found freedom, she started down the slippery slope and there was no return. She continued to spiral further and further away from who she used to be. It was enjoyable, at first. It was exciting and new. She soon gained many new friends. (Well, at least she thought they were her friends).

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/afb4b2411c5a.jpg[/atsimg]

"Leave the car running. Wait right here for us. Honk if you see any cars heading this direction. We just need to go talk to a buddy." ............ Poor gullible Barbie. Her biggest problem has always been that she trusts everyone.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/545778eda55f.jpg[/atsimg]

Seems she had some plastic surgery of her own and she is already all plastic! They have turned Barbie into something alien like.

She received a 14 year sentence, for her role as an accomplice(getaway driver), in the murder of that family. After 2 years, she was offered a sort of plea agreement. They told her that she would be released from prison immediately, if she agreed to enter an experimental program that they called- 'Transformation Rehabilitation.'.......... Poor, poor, gullible Barbie.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/191a1353fa2d.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/fd822263722b.jpg[/atsimg]

Source

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Every toy store I go into (including the walmart toy section) still has at least one full aisle of Barbie!!!!

she's classic!! I get one every year for xmas - its become tradition because when I was a kid we were poor and they were expensive so I only got old broken hand me down barbies (haha all my friends had a Cabbage Patch Kid too, and I got a Special Kid) - now I have 13 Barbies, brand new, in the box! She's still glamorous! (but yeah definitely doesn't look like the original anymore, and not worth nearly as much $$$)

I remember He Man and She-Ra! I never heard of "other world" either - sorry OP
but don't feel too bad, I'm a girl - I didn't even watch He-Man and She-Ra I just remember them being on.

My favorite toys growing up were Lite-Brite and Etch-a-sketch

I was a reader mostly - I'm such a nerd

at least until I got my first Atari!!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
What a successful "gender stereotyped" doll!
Especially when one considers that she was apparently based on an erotic German doll called "Lilly".
In fact, the blueprint for Barbie kinda came from Nazi Germany.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Oh who cares, that was like a century ago - duh.
Barbie rocks, but the hair was always the main attraction for me.

Strangely enough, I recall begging for my first Barbie.
Suddenly they had one at a reduced price.
It was only later that I found out it was not Barbie but Skipper!

Since then I've stayed a Skipper man, because she could stand on her own two flat feet.
Barbie kept falling over with her high heels and champagne glass.
It was actually quite realistic.
But Skipper was always a clean living doll - the kinda doll that would have joined the Moonies, or danced on Benny Hinn's stage. Or maybe she would have gone to educate the girl-children in Afghanistan, which would have saved me a lot on toy-clothing expenses.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 11:43 AM
link   

did you just troll yourself?
LOL I think I love you man!!!

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Thank you.
Love and understand yourself, and then you love me too!

By the power of Greyskull!

edit on 4-8-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   

My hand-me-down Barbies were so poor they drove around in This
no lie

Man I bet that thing would be worth money today, but I wore it out, it died....

Barbie never fit right in it, she was the outkast, she was probably 2 inches taller than the owner who I found likenesses of Here

I don't have them anymore either.. so sad....

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Yeah, my Barbie struck hard times too, and my granny knitted matching red and white body suits for Barbie and Skipper, and their cheap friend, who was always the empty vessel, and the "third wheel" in the friendship, who could never shake that smell of colas and overpriced fruit.
She was a bit of a charity case.
She couldn't stand, but boy could she float.
Barbie, Skipper and me always hoped she'd marry a lifesaver and get out of our hair.
That's why I made her watch Baywatch.
I mean ughh - what a tramp.
I mean she walked in from some corner shop with cheap comics, and one of those balls that bounce all over the kitchen. Like an overgrown, plastic Sea Monkey.

Anyway, I still find that the most hardcore program of the late 1980's were the Gummi Bears.
I mean where else do you see a granny boiling some kind of "juice", and then she tastes it and starts bouncing all over the kitchen?
Does she do the "right thing" and call the FDA or cops?
No! Of course not, it's the 80s.

Instead, Momma Bear feeds it to her kids and menfolk, until they too are merrily bouncing about!
Good grief, imagine Goldilocks had walked into that bouncin' "juice house"!
What kind of ceiling is just right?
Unless of course you end up living in a cave, like the Gummi Bears, for example.
But that's hardly surprising.
Poor cubs.

edit on 4-8-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
I am quite proud to admit that this was my first real crush, with an awareness that it was a crush.
Unfortunately that action figure was out of my price range.
But until today I would say that it is a beautiful man, even in his later "Stargate" role.
I'd start a world war just to be conscripted with MacGyver!
OK maybe not quite, and the mullet had to go, but in the 80s it was hot ... oh you know what I'm sayin'...

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

I know what you're saying!
My first crush
(yes, seriously, when I was like 6 - I wasn't 6 in 1944 though LOL it was a rerun)

My first obsession was way later though, and not fitting into the "cartoon/toys" context of this thread

You should join the 80's TV thread!!! (link in my signature)
edit on 4-8-2011 by Forevever because: I'm not anywhere near 70 yet, even if I feel like it

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Oh man that was adorable and funny!
Yip, wolfing around can be mighty deceptive!
Thanks.
Tired and gonna sign off.
Love You man.
See ya later.

posted on Aug, 8 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   

I had completely forgotten about this gas station. This was possibly one of the best toys I ever had. I loved this thing. You could open up the mountain, the boulder on top would roll down and do some damage to the enemy vehicles lol. There was also some sort of gun underneath it. Actually, there were guns everywhere. Gas Pumps = Guns. Gas Sign = Gun. And it was all armored (eerr plastic).

MASK...those were some fun toys.

I remember I used to use my Castle Greyskull as Cobra's hideout...and war with the GI Joes in their HQ. I used to use the generic GI Joe like figures as their grunts. There was even a generic version of the Cobra troopers that worked well enough. (the real ones were too expensive to roast with spray can flame-throwers, etc.)....

Kids today, just don't have as much imagination. Although, I do try to foster it in my friends' kids...and get down on the floor, play action figures with them, etc. They're under 10, so still have fun doing it....before they go video game crazy.

I still have a dozen or so Star Wars figures, the Millennium Falcon, the X-Wing, the TIE Fighter, a Taun-Taun, and the Landspeeder. I bought them again (as an adult), when they came back out years and years ago. I always wanted them, so fulfilled that little fantasy.... Probably worth some decent money now.
edit on 8-8-2011 by Gazrok because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join