It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Tri-State Tornado Outbreak - A Retrospective

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
This year's tornado outbreak was horrible, and left a body count of somewhere around 530 people. But you must not forget about the March 18, 1925 outbreak that left 747 people dead and thousands injured. What's even more shocking, 695 people died in a single tornado, a true monster. Some scientist have even said it might have been a 1000 year tornado.
The average strong tornado last for about 15 minutes, The Tri-state tornado stayed on the ground for 3 in a half hours.
The average strong tornado has wind speeds around 120 - 150 mph, The Tri State Tornado had a windspeed of 250+. Possibly 300 mph.
The average strong tornado has a ground speed of 15 - 35 mph. The Tri-State Tornado travel across the plains at nearly 80 mph.
The Tri-State tornado reached a width of 1.5 Miles wide. It was so powerful that it surrounded itself with a dust and wall cloud that was nearly 3 miles wide. People didn't even see it coming till it was to late. It covered 219 miles across three states, new evidence even now says it actually started 15 miles further back than originally thought which means it actually travelled 234 miles.
This was all before we had anytype of tornado warning system. In fact the word Tornado was banned by the U.S. Weather Bureau, because they assumed there was no way of knowing how to predict them, so rather than start a panic they forbid people to say the word tornado.
Years after the incident scientist began looking at this tornado and realizing the impossiblity of a single tornado being able to do this damage began studying reports and tracks left over but they could never find a break in this twister's track, which means it was, as crazy and impossible as it sounds, was a single tornado.
No other tornado of this particular scale has ever happened again, but it will one day. So everyone who blames haarp or thinks this tornado season was a vengeful act of god, please take time to remember the Tri-State Twister. A pure unadulterated force of nature, before Haarp, before the mayan calendar was in a daily vocab.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by MKultraVideos

WOW!

I had never heard of that twister before.

Imagine the devastation if that happened with today's population density!!

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

The upside is we do have warning systems and stronger structures, but yes with huge populated areas and this monster coming through there isn't much that can be done. A lot of the lures of tornadoes actually came from this particular storm like the egg through the barn door and straw stuck in doors.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   

There is a picture in the Joplin tornado thread with a 2x4 penetrated through a concrete curb. It didn't shatter the curb, it penetrated it like a needle and it is sticking out the other side without damaging the curb much at all!

I heard a story of someones garage door ripped off, their car completely sandblasted down to the metal, but the little garden tools gingerly hanging on pegboard in the garage were still hanging.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready

There is a picture in the Joplin tornado thread with a 2x4 penetrated through a concrete curb. It didn't shatter the curb, it penetrated it like a needle and it is sticking out the other side without damaging the curb much at all!

I heard a story of someones garage door ripped off, their car completely sandblasted down to the metal, but the little garden tools gingerly hanging on pegboard in the garage were still hanging.

I seen that pic, it's insane how powerful a twister is. There was a instance back in the early 90's tornado outbreak, I think Andover, Kansas and a tornado threw 80 ton train cars over a quarter mile.
edit on 3-6-2011 by MKultraVideos because: Misspell

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Sorry dude- your whole "But it's happened before!!! Looky here!! a Big Twister!!" attempt to minimize this years devastation is worthless.

1. There were no masses of tall, strong buildings to add air turbulence to break up the Vorticity of this Tornado.

2. Buildings were not built to standards - storm proof- ie: no regulation as to foundation ties or roof ties, etc. No plumbing pipes in the walls for added strength either.

3. There was no warning system, whatsoever.

Now- let's look at the real numbers, and the real problem:

The preliminary estimate is that there have been more than 670 tornadoes for during the month of April 2011. The previous record number of tornadoes during the month of April was 267 tornadoes set in April 1974. The previous record number of tornadoes during any month was 542 tornadoes set in May 2003.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stratus9

Sorry dude- your whole "But it's happened before!!! Looky here!! a Big Twister!!" attempt to minimize this years devastation is worthless.

1. There were no masses of tall, strong buildings to add air turbulence to break up the Vorticity of this Tornado.

2. Buildings were not built to standards - storm proof- ie: no regulation as to foundation ties or roof ties, etc. No plumbing pipes in the walls for added strength either.

The preliminary estimate is that there have been more than 670 tornadoes for during the month of April 2011. The previous record number of tornadoes during the month of April was 267 tornadoes set in April 1974. The previous record number of tornadoes during any month was 542 tornadoes set in May 2003.

I was't trying to minimize what happened recently, I was only trying to give information on another tornado. Thus the title a retrospective. Something else that was upsetting me was all this HAARP talk going around about it. Saying this season was caused by haarp I feel that is minimizing the devastion much more than my thread was, I mention in my thread that there was no warning systems at that time. Plus pipes dont add to structural strenght, I worked in contruction. PVC doesn't have anything to do with holding the house together especially in 250+ winds. And do you really think that a lowes and a 6 story building will weaken a 3/4 mile wide 2000 foot tall swirling vortex. So if you want to say that the tri-state wasn't that bad and minimize those victims then go right ahead troll. Why don't you follow the path of the tri-state and see how much of a scar it left. My hope for this thread was to remove some of the doom and gloom that's been going around on here, and recognize that at some points in the past things were bad too. Well I got to go and put some roof ties on my home incase a EF5 twister comes through I'm sure that'll stop it. Maybe the turburlence caused by my tin roof will weaken it.

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by MKultraVideos

Originally posted by Stratus9

I was't trying to minimize what happened recently, I was only trying to give information on another tornado. Thus the title a retrospective. Something else that was upsetting me was all this HAARP talk going around about it. Saying this season was caused by haarp I feel that is minimizing the devastion much more than my thread was, I mention in my thread that there was no warning systems at that time. Plus pipes dont add to structural strenght, I worked in contruction. PVC doesn't have anything to do with holding the house together especially in 250+ winds. And do you really think that a lowes and a 6 story building will weaken a 3/4 mile wide 2000 foot tall swirling vortex. So if you want to say that the tri-state wasn't that bad and minimize those victims then go right ahead troll. Why don't you follow the path of the tri-state and see how much of a scar it left. My hope for this thread was to remove some of the doom and gloom that's been going around on here, and recognize that at some points in the past things were bad too. Well I got to go and put some roof ties on my home incase a EF5 twister comes through I'm sure that'll stop it. Maybe the turburlence caused by my tin roof will weaken it.

Thanks for the clarification. I appreciate it and I too believe the whole 'HAARP' distraction is just that- a distraction from what is really happening. I am afraid your post initially looked like one more of those "hey it's happened before nothing to see here move along'' attempt to minimize what is truly looking like one long never ending worldwide weather disaster of epic proportions. I don't mean any one area- I am talking about worldwide with different areas being hit at different times and seasons. I am neither a pollyanna nor a doomsayer. I have just been studying the weather and run a weather station since the mid 1990's.
But about the US, see:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jun, 5 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Stratus9

I'll be the first to admit that there have been outbreaks with far more tornadoes, and probably combined much more damage left by them. I believe the March 18, 1925 spawned 9 or 10 good tornadoes averaging f2 or f3. I've never seen a tornado but I have been looking for the last 3 season here in NC and this season for us was surprising. I've seen the aftermath of a couple F1's, f2's and a F3 tornado here and it was shocking. Especially about how long they stayed on the ground. Never seen that in my area before. And I got a chance a long time ago to hear some second hand accounts of the tri-state from son's and daughter's of survivors and the stories they relay are incredible. I just believe the tri-state stands out because there's so much we don't understand about it. I checked out that thread, I thought in was very informative.

new topics

top topics

join