It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. farmers, processors not required to test for deadly E. coli strain

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   

If the bacterium were to contaminate fruits or vegetables grown here, there would be no way to prevent an outbreak, because farmers and processors are not required to test for the pathogen before the food heads to supermarkets

washington post

It is unlikely that the outbreak would reach the United States, said Phillip I. Tarr, a prominent E. coli expert at the Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis, because the bacterium is not in the food supply here. Although it can be spread from person to person, it is more often caused by contaminated food.

So I don't cause a panic.

This lead me to wonder what do processors have to test for? I have looked but I can't find the testing guidelines, though I have found that a Food Safety Modernization Act was signed in, in Januayr 2011.

FSMA

I find it interesting that so little information is being given out on the outbreak in Europe. While it may not be a worry in the US, I don't think it would hurt to give your veggies an extra scrub.

Especially any ground fruits or vegetables, as the fertilizer gets splashed on them from teh ground, or you get contamination from employees. (Ever see a spot a potty in the field?)

Believe it or not it has been five years since the spinache outbreak.

Or better yet, maybe it is time to go homegrown and local.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I agree that the strain should be tested for. Many people travel and could bring some back to the USA by fomite(ex.shoe) or even through bathroom use. Better safe than sorry, before it's too late to contain the outbreak.

Agreeing as well, no better time than now to grow your own.

Found this...
Hand-Wringing Over E. Coli Begins in the U.S.

USDA, under pressure from consumer groups, already was working on a measure to address some of the other E. colis in beef, a policy being reviewed by the Obama administration. Researchers created tests to screen for the six strains considered most prevalent, before the toll in Europe revealed a seventh.

Hopefully they will follow through.

edit on 3-6-2011 by dreamingawake because: more

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
what i dont get about this ecoli outbreak is -
if the out break in germany was due to fertiliser on spanish cucumbers, why have there been no outbreaks in spain
hisz.rsoe.hu...
seems fishy to me

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by BobbyShaftoe

I am not a farmer, but if most of that crop is exported, that may be why.

Just like most of our corn is exported.

Very good question though.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Because maybe it did'nt come from cucumbers or fresh produce at all.

Can you imagine the outcry if it came from meat in Germany? I know what German livestock are feed......

read this: www.naturalnews.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5

Because maybe it did'nt come from cucumbers or fresh produce at all.

Can you imagine the outcry if it came from meat in Germany? I know what German livestock are feed......

read this: www.naturalnews.com...

The husband and I were talking about this last night.. and this is exactly what he said : cucumbers dont have e coli.. its from the intestines of an animal.
We always keep up with this kind of thing as our middle daughter is a transplant recipient, anti rejeciton drugs which keep her immune system very low, and are always worried about this kind of thing. When this news broke we were shocked to discover what Nixie posted.. we dont even test for it here!

Just an FYI because growing your own was mentioned.. even in your own garden E coli can be found in your fertilizer.
www.ext.colostate.edu...

top topics

join