It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Indiana: High School Senior faces 8 years in prison for harmless prank

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:49 AM
link   
More police-state lunacy:

www.wthr.com...

A high school senior accused in a senior prank faced a judge Thursday.
The planned prank blew up in the face of 18-year-old Rushville High school Senior Tyell Morton, who is jailed and facing serious criminal charges.
"It's not right. It was a senior prank. They're blowing it out of proportion. I didn't hurt anybody, I didn't intend to embarrass anybody. What did I do wrong, you know?" Morton said Thursday.

Mod Note (This Appears On Every New Thread/Post Reply Page):
Please make sure every post matters.
Refrain from 1-line or very-minimal responses.
Edit-down your quoted posts to the important part.
Don't use "txting" shorthand in posts.
Use snippets and links for external content.
Provide meaningful comments for links, pictures, and videos.

Mod Note: Starting A New Thread ?... Look Here First.
edit on Sat Jun 4 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

+5 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:57 AM
link   
Seriously what did he expect ? I wouldn't say he deserves 8 years in prison but perhaps a year or so might teach him a lesson .

+25 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by starviego

How is this guy even going to mention Columbine is the same sentence as what this kid did? You had students who walked into a school and opened fire and you want to compare that to a guy who set a blow up doll down in the bathroom?

This is about as retarded as the time the police shut down several blocks of downtown Denver cause somebody glued a Lego to the curb.

+68 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by PS3Geek
Seriously what did he expect ? I wouldn't say he deserves 8 years in prison but perhaps a year or so might teach him a lesson .

A year in Prison for not hurting anyone and because others overreacted and were left looking foolish? With people like you running around, it is no wonder why this country has so many non violent offenders sitting in Prison and over burdening the system.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:00 AM
link   

this what i would expect in a land where a kid, 5 years old, is arrested for kissing his 'girlfriend' same age

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   
How about making him reimburse the school and city for the emergency and police responders who took the threat of a masked man hiding a potential bomb in a locker room seriously. Its similar to those idiots who make phony distress calls to the coast guard, it costs a lot of money to respond to those. This kid should be facing the same charges as this people who make those kinds of calls: Seattle man faces charges for allegedly fake distress calls that sparked Coast Guard search. I would find it hard to believe that this kid wasn't aware of the security cameras (by the fact he was covering his face and dressed like a robber) and placing what he knew surely looked like a package bomb.

I'm sure he won't get 8 years, but screw him, he's a moron. Too many of those running around these days.

+6 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:15 AM
link   
reply to post by PS3Geek

Read my signature dude. This country is full of people like you who make life so much harder for people like in the OP. Because of people who think like you, the government is slowly taking all of our rights away.

Plus remember a 100 years ago when you were a high school senior
trying to impress the ladies? You did some stupid stuff too I bet.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal

Originally posted by PS3Geek

A year in Prison for not hurting anyone and because others overreacted and were left looking foolish? With people like you running around, it is no wonder why this country has so many non violent offenders sitting in Prison and over burdening the system.

If anything it should be a year or some hefty fines or perhaps some community service but if convicted he's facing 8 which in my opinion is a bit much but come on you gotta be a moron to pull a prank like this and expect to get away with it especially after 9/11 come on ..

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by JustBreathe11
reply to post by PS3Geek

Read my signature dude. This country is full of people like you who make life so much harder for people like in the OP. Because of people who think like you, the government is slowly taking all of our rights away.

Plus remember a 100 years ago when you were a high school senior
trying to impress the ladies? You did some stupid stuff too I bet.

Actually no bud this moron who pulled off this stupid prank should be thrown in jail ( not for 8 years but some jail time ) and this has nothing to do with the government taking away your freedoms it's your damn fault they do that ffs ..

+8 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Which law did he break?

This should be the first question. At least this would be the first (and only) question in the more civilized parts of the world. And if he broke no law then why should he be held responsible for their stupid actions?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:36 AM
link   
I don't think he deserves 8 years, but come on... Does he have zero common sense? In a world of extreme political correctness, zero tolerance and a fear based society, what on earth did he think would happen if he pretended to plant a bomb in his school?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   
What a dummy the kid must of been, what a dummy. He deserves to be yelled at and maybe smacked in the face a few times, but 8 years?? Thats just plain ridiculous just like the tyrant country of amerika. I don't respect the amerikan government so I use a K, Hah my rebellion shall make them angry. I am an amerikan so.....

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   
reply to post by PS3Geek

Its the collective mentality of the people and guess what you are part of it. Whether you live in the U.S or Canada (Ayyy)

How boot he just pay the fines and call it a day.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:38 AM
link   

How is this guy even going to mention Columbine is the same sentence as what this kid did? You had students who walked into a school and opened fire and you want to compare that to a guy who set a blow up doll down in the bathroom?

This is about as retarded as the time the police shut down several blocks of downtown Denver cause somebody glued a Lego to the curb.

Huh? Read the article, he dressed up and tricked everyone into thinking he placed a bomb in the school!

Don't you dare try to downplay what he did... We all read the same article here.

Saying that he just put a blow up doll in the girls bathroom is beyond ridiculous. Yep, it was inside that box, but his intention was to prank people into thinking there was a bomb in the school. Well, he succeeded.

He did something highly illegal here... This is not just a harmless prank. I don't the he deserves 8 years by any means, but he scared the hell out of so many people.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
he pretended to plant a bomb in his school?

Did he pretend it was a bomb? No he didn't.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by prof7
Which law did he break?

This should be the first question. At least this would be the first (and only) question in the more civilized parts of the world. And if he broke no law then why should he be held responsible for their stupid actions?

Well, I am guessing it is not exactly legal to trick people into thinking that there is a bomb in a school...

It's about as legal as calling in a bomb threat when there is no bomb, which is illegal as well... He will be lucky if they don't slap the word " terrorist act" on his record...

Whether he had a bomb or not, he tricked people into thinking there was a bomb in the school... They took the precautions that SHOULD be taken when there is a bomb in a school ( The ones you call stupid are the ones I say save lives) and the bottom line is, this kid screwed up, BAD.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Yeah, because it is silly to evacuate the school and call in the bomb squad when you truly believe that some one placed a bomb in your school.

With all due respect, did you read what you wrote before you hit reply?

+2 more 
posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
Our wonderful legal system seems to have forgotten there is this pesky thing called intent…

In Criminal Law the concept of criminal intent has been called mens rea, which refers to a criminal or wrongful purpose. If a person innocently causes harm, then she or he lacks mens rea and, under this concept, should not be criminally prosecuted.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:47 AM
link   
Pay the $8000 and apologize for scaring the sheep. Seriously. He should pay off the financial debt and make it known, publicly, that what he did took hold of people's fear of the unknown and explain why doing something like that is careless and can cause harm through chaos regardless of his lack of prideful sin. But to punish more than is required to bring back a balance is simply harmful and scares the sheep further.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth
Well, I am guessing it is not exactly legal to trick people into thinking that there is a bomb in a school

When did he do this? And how? And how do you legally define "trick into thinking"?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join