It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas town furlough their ENTIRE police force

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Heh while I respect the right to bare arms, I'm sorry but people here have it bass akwards, the solution is not to go buy a gun cause ur a gun totin texan- yeee haw, its for the community to act like a bunch of decent people and respect each other. That's the solution, then we wouldn't have cops anywhere in the US, you know.. act civilized like we claim we are..and..

Oh that's right we're not, not anywhere. That's a myth,so.. Yea yeehaw! git ur shotgun maw, we're a hangin us sum criminALs!

/shakes head
I'm sure Alto will be fine.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chai_An

Originally posted by projectvxn
reply to post by Heartisblack

My idea would be to ask volunteers from around the various neighborhoods(Of good character and sound mind)to take turns patrolling the streets and making sure nothing goes down.

There is NO reason why people of any size town can't do this.

When I read your quote I immediately thought of New York City and had to chuckle.
To be totally honest this would not be an option for a large metropolitan area.

A large metropolis!? That's a joke, you think this is bad. Google Flint, Michigan. They only have 6 or 5 cops. A girl from God like productions lives there, it's a ghetto full of white people; I'm 100% serious they have the highest murder rate in the entire country. I thought she was joking when she said she lived in a post-apocalyptic society, I had egg on my face to find out she wasn't.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   

reply to post by Chai_An

Maybe not in New York sized areas.

But certainly in towns of 50,000 or less it would be plausible.

The city of Arcola, Texas is about to lay of it's police force for the same reason stated by OP. This would mean the sheriff department will have to step in and they are currently overtaxed personnel wise handling the communities under their control. Keep an eye out for the city of Houston (the fourth largest US city) they have already started laying off civilians who worked in police stations and it's speculated the police will be next. Hmm that New York chuckle maybe a Houston one.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Chai_An

Things are getting rougher and rougher around the country. And it should be a wake up call to everyone that even states that are relatively well off like Texas, compared to places like California or Nevada, are still seeing budget woes and crippling emergency cuts.

This is what happens when government is allowed to grow beyond it's capacity(support from taxpayers and restraint by republican form of government).
edit on 3-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Alto is on a meth corridor from Tyler to Houston. This is part of the reason for the county sheriff's department being so busy. Not much goes on in Alto proper, though. They should take those 5 police officers and bump them to sheriff's deputies.

/TOA

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
I totally agree that citizens should just form community policing directly and do away with this administrative oppressive "bureaucratic" joke of a system we have now.

I am 100% in favor of this type of solution.

However I also must exercise extreme caution in such drastic changes and in order to actually see justice and avenge the victims of wrongdoing properly we must do it 'by the book'. And by the book what I mean is that we must follow a code of honor, protocol. The Constitution and the Bill of Rights. Things we should all know a lot about and care about.

Everyone just has to police each other, and uphold liberty by making sure that those accused of crimes have to be tried in a fair court overheard by elected judges and granted the deliberation of a jury of their peers. Everyone has a right to legal defense and to appoint legal council.

I just don't want to see a really good and true strive for justice to turn into chaos and tyranny of rampaging posses on witch hunts.

The reason I am cynical I suppose is because right now today is right there already. This is chaos and tyranny of rampaging posses on witch hunts. Right now in America. That's how it is today.

I have great hopes that we the People can police ourselves like grown responsible adults and will exercise wisdom and prudence in our actions while yet remaining vigilant and keeping evil on the run. That's the America I want.

I have this feeling deep inside that something a lot like that is the Real America that the People know is right for them no matter how many times the TV says it's a bad idea.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:08 AM
link   
The seed is planted...this is the place where the new american revolution will start.....

Second line

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by zatara

What revolution are you talking about?

I swear ATS is full of revolution fetishists.

Cops are being laid off, and people are going to have to make due on their own. I don't see how anyone is going to want to upset the calm by starting some fantasy revolution.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Heartisblack

Originally posted by Chai_An

reply to post by Heartisblack

My idea would be to ask volunteers from around the various neighborhoods(Of good character and sound mind)to take turns patrolling the streets and making sure nothing goes down.

There is NO reason why people of any size town can't do this.

When I read your quote I immediately thought of New York City and had to chuckle.
To be totally honest this would not be an option for a large metropolitan area.

A large metropolis!? That's a joke, you think this is bad. Google Flint, Michigan. They only have 6 or 5 cops. A girl from God like productions lives there, it's a ghetto full of white people; I'm 100% serious they have the highest murder rate in the entire country. I thought she was joking when she said she lived in a post-apocalyptic society, I had egg on my face to find out she wasn't.

Flint, Michigan? What?? That state has been suffering for a long time but.....so in other words they have already started the metropolitan experiment? The MSM they speak of poor housing issues and lack of large grocery stores but they never let you see Flint or any other community that way.
edit on 3-6-2011 by Chai_An because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Helious
reply to post by Vitchilo

We don't need police officers to protect our homes, our property or our liberty. We should be in charge of that, the police are there to solely protect and serve.

"We dont need police to protect us, the police are there solely to protect and serve"
Does any one else understand that?

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Honestly, Im no fan of the heavy handed police, but do you really want the petty, vengeful people in your neighborhood running the posse? Theres NO WAY IN HELL i would want at least 90% of my home town anywhere NEAR a posse. Good ideas guys, lets get rid of police then start having armed vigilante groups police the towns. Thats not gonna lead to trouble.

There seems to be a devolution movement in America.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Furloughing is not firing nor dismissing someone but is having them work for a couple of days a month without getting paid for it.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Alto, Texas

Area
- Total 1.7 sq mi (4.4 km2)
As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 1,190 people

Salute~!!
hmmm.. did they REALLY need 5 officers & a chief?? or perhaps 2 cops total, the Chief & 1 other officer and keep some good ol' boys on-call .....I mean.. you can get from one end of town to other in 20 mins @ a dead run if need be, if you don't have a bike or car or motorcycle.

Is the Mayor work Part-time or full time? Cuz' there REALLY doesn't seem to be that much going on to keep him FULL time.

As the poster above said.. Fire the mayor and dig into the books, something is cook'n in there~! Then make the town a Co-Op.

A cooperative (also co-operative; often referred to as a co-op) is a business organization owned and operated by a group of individuals for their mutual benefit.[1] Cooperatives are defined by the International Cooperative Alliance's Statement on the Cooperative Identity as autonomous associations of persons united voluntarily to meet their common economic, social, and cultural needs and aspirations through jointly owned and democratically controlled enterprises.[2] A cooperative may also be defined as a business owned and controlled equally by the people who use its services or by the people who work there. Cooperative enterprises are the focus of study in the field of cooperative economics.
Wiki

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Reply to post by Komodo

5 officers is quite reasonable.

*Chief
*1st shift (7am-3pm)
*2nd shift (3pm-11pm)
*3rd shift (11pm-7am)
*Swing shift (usually a Sergeant)(7pm-3am or cover on days off).

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Reply to post by Lemon.Fresh

Forgot the Lieutenant. Which usually works the same shift as the chief.

So the first officer would more than likely be an AM swing (11am-7pm, cover on days off).

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lemon.Fresh
Reply to post by Komodo

5 officers is quite reasonable.

*Chief
*1st shift (7am-3pm)
*2nd shift (3pm-11pm)
*3rd shift (11pm-7am)
*Swing shift (usually a Sergeant)(7pm-3am or cover on days off).

Then why lay them off if that's the Skeleton Crew.. something is afoot!!!! Why can't the Chief take first Shift ?? it's not a HUGE metro city it's 1.7 sq miles for god's sake with 707 per sq mile. It's not like the WHOLE town is going to riot tomorrow and THAT small of town, everyone know everyone.. i know cuz' I came from one. One call and everyone knows it all LOL

edit on 3-6-2011 by Komodo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:36 AM
link   
If they make it permanent I will consider moving there! This sounds good but they are probably depending on County Sheriff to cover them to some degree.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:43 AM
link   
Reply to post by Komodo

If they have money problems, look to the city council and mayor.

The town I worked for when I started was about the same size.

Just because it is a small town does not make it Mayberry. Yes, everyone knows everyone's business, but that does not make the whole town a Utopia.

The Chief more than likely worked 8am-5pm. His job is to keep the department afloat. He does the accounting, plays the city politics, works on grants, coordinates with other law enforcement, etc. He really does not have time to jack around on the streets. But when the opportunity arises, I am sure he gets out and helps.

Again, I am speaking from experience (was a Sgt. with a small town force (1250 residents)).

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Reply to post by hawkiye

If it is the same as the town I worked for, the officers are very close with the Sheriff's department.

They were our back up, and we were theirs.

posted on Jun, 3 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   
Just though I would expand, based on personal experience.

Lieutenant would come in at 7, work the school zone until 8, patrol until 11. At that time the swing would come in and take over patrol. The LT. would then go over the paperwork from the night before, log anything that needed logging (citations, arrests, evidence, affidavits etc), take prisoners to see the judge if necessary, and do what the Chief asks him to do throughout the day. If swing was off that day, LT. would try and fit all that in-between patrols. Some paperwork could be left for the Sgt. to do later that day.

Swing would cover school zones from 3-4. The 2nd shift would patrol the whole shift (unless swing was off, then the shift would start with school zones ).

The night swing is the Sgt. He would come in and finish any paperwork that was not done by the LT., and then patrol. 7pm-3am is the busiest time. Everyone is finally home, and the domestic disputes start. Then the drunk people start coming out around 11. Fights, drunk drivers, and more domestic disputes. It dies down around 3am.

The 3rd shift patrols till he is relieved by the LT. at 7am.

3rd shift comes in at 11.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join