It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas town furlough their ENTIRE police force

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Oooo. Good news for the city. No more criminals running around bullying you, destroying the constitution or killing your pets!

Texas Town Furloughs Entire Police Force

With its finances stretched to the breaking point, Alto, Texas, is giving its police officers the boot for six months—all five of them. OK, so it’s not exactly the NYPD. But with the county sheriff’s office already overburdened, town residents are afraid losing their small department could have dire consequences. “They’re just throwin’ the town wide open to crime,” one resident tells KTRE.

What about you man up and arm yourselves and organize your little citizen police instead? Citizen police run by the average guy will be way more honest and will not waste it's time harassing people...

Be like a real American back in the time of the frontier... MAN UP.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Good start

screw the man

+7 more 
posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
You're TEXANS, buy guns, a case of beer, and take turns patrolling the neighborhoods.

Problem solved. Secondly fire town officials for mismanaging the funds.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Bad news for the Alto Doughnut Shop as well.

Time for a well armed Militia...

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
guess they shoulda laid officers off from both the police and sheriffs departments.

before the laid all of them off.

or the should have written more speeding tickets

or they should have seized drug assets,

or the fact that the town doesnt have that much crime to warrent 5 police officers and a sherriffs department.

too many things should have could have been done before it got to that point.

alot of people view this as a bad thing but i dont.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Texans are worried about what to do without their police? If anyone can protect themselves without law enforcement you would think it would be the Texans. Just purchase some ammunition for your gun and reconnect with your community. It is not an impossible thing to do. If this were in a city large than 10,000 residents I would say it could be a serious problem but it is not, the town is small and is in conservative Texas.

On another note I do wonder if they will continue to receive welfare checks, enforce drug laws, and other things such as that while their police are taken away.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:19 PM
link   
While it is a small town (i read about 1100+/-) it will be a nice little controlled study. It would be really cool to see how life changes in this town from low level crime like littering and speeding to robbery and murder.

what happens if they end up happier without the police there. in 6 months do the tell the 5 cops to screw off?

it would be nice to hear an update on this down the road.

interceptor

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Alto means stop in spanish..the way to stop crime in this small town is for every adult living there to be required to openly carry a firearm..i dont think some out of town punk is going to steal grannys purse with her 12 gage cradeled in her arm!!!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
yeah a population of 1200 people and a median income of around $30,000

doesnt warrent a large police and sherriffs department

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

We do pay taxes for this sort of protection.
Plus feds would most probably arrest you for impersonating a police officer, federal time anyone?
This is why I simply would not volunteer my time.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:24 PM
link   

WAAAAAHH, police yourselves and stop being sniveling cowards dependent on government protection. We don't need police officers to protect our homes, our property or our liberty. We should be in charge of that, the police are there to solely protect and serve.

If an American citizen can not protect there constitutional rights then and only then should they call on law enforcement. In truth, it's really not there job to protect your liberties.... It is yours, calling only upon them if you need help in a just argument complying with the Constitution.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:25 PM
link   

there is a town in the county I live in whos police force magically turned so much drug arrest evidence into legal powders found in the kitchen & bathroom that the entire force was fired, the station was shut down and jurisdiction was split up amongst other departments.

must have been a fun job while it lasted.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by projectvxn
You're TEXANS, buy guns, a case of beer, and take turns patrolling the neighborhoods.

Problem solved. Secondly fire town officials for mismanaging the funds.

Oh hallelujah lord, just what we need: a few crazy a$$ rednecks running the street!
But I agree, arm yourselves, take some beer, patrol and have fun! Just be careful about that drug dealer and the pimp!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Heartisblack

My idea would be to ask volunteers from around the various neighborhoods(Of good character and sound mind)to take turns patrolling the streets and making sure nothing goes down.

There is NO reason why people of any size town can't do this.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
My only hope would be that these pigs get what is coming to them served up nice and fresh by the citizens of the county
in which they deprived people of their constitutional rights.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Screwed
My only hope would be that these pigs get what is coming to them served up nice and fresh by the citizens of the county
in which they deprived people of their constitutional rights.

Woah....No one is even being accused of anything criminal here. What if these 5 cops were doing their duty according to the law?

Do you have any proof that they violated anyone's rights? Or are you just posting cop hate for the sake of posting cop hate?
edit on 2-6-2011 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

My idea would be to ask volunteers from around the various neighborhoods(Of good character and sound mind)to take turns patrolling the streets and making sure nothing goes down.

Amen, but it's still the principle, Why did they have a huge police station anyway ? That is the next
$64,000 question alone. They're a small town but a big town but you don't need a huge police force to deal with them either. Fire whoever is mismanaging the funds!
edit on 2-6-2011 by Heartisblack because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:43 PM
link   

When I read your quote I immediately thought of New York City and had to chuckle.
To be totally honest this would not be an option for a large metropolitan area.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Everytime I passed through the whole two minutes of Alto, the cops would be waiting by the school or next to a store making sure nobody went over the speed limit...the police department was tiny, had to sit there forever with a friend that went a notch over the speed limit when I was 18!
I'm sure they'll have plenty rent a cops, or people that think they are! lol

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 11:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Chai_An

Maybe not in New York sized areas.

But certainly in towns of 50,000 or less it would be plausible.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join