It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Judge Prohibits Prayer at Texas Graduation Ceremony

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Source

Let me get this straight....one individual believes they have the power to alter what others wish to do?

Does that mean when I bow my head and pray to the almighty Spaghetti Monster God (praise be upon him!) I will end up doing time?

Screw this black robed tyrant and those like him!

I don't know how many others are at their breaking point but there are many of us who are...Nobody hates America for its freedoms, since we have few if any other than what we're told we can have by POS a--holes like this a--hat. It's difficult to hate a country for something it only has "on paper".

Pray to whomever or whatever you wish!!
edit on 2-6-2011 by bozzchem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by bozzchem

Do we really need prayer in school?

Let's keep prayer in church. The fact is when you say a Christian prayer in a public setting, you're basically excluding anyone who isn't Christian. It's simply not appropriate in an educational setting.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   
You cannot prohibit free speech.

This nation was founded partly because people had their Religious Views Censored and Banned in Europe and came to the Americas to find FREEDOM to practice their beliefs and to speak freely about their ideas.

The Constitution still stands triumphant. You cannot legislate from the bench and issue orders like this. The Judicial branch is suppose to UPHOLD the LAW, not invent new ones.

The Legislative Branch (Congresses) are the ones with the power to create law in this nation.

I don't care how dumb the rest of the world is, I know the facts and I am gonna post them all over the place.

How the Hell did this debate about "what can and cannot be said" by people in relation to RELIGIOUS views anyways? What happen to Separation of Church vs State?

No one is even doing things by the book anymore. It's pathetic.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
First Amendment to the United States Constitution.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

First Amendment

This Judge is a complete joke and needs to be kicked out pronto!

This is the "Law of the Land".
Article VI, Clause 2 of the Constitution.

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in pursuance thereof; and all treaties made, or which shall be made, under the authority of the United States, shall be the supreme law of the land; and the judges in every state shall be bound thereby, anything in the constitution or laws of any state to the contrary notwithstanding.

Supremacy Clause

This is the most basic of all principals of the American system. Freedom of speech, ESPECIALLY RELIGIOUS. You CANNOT PROHIBIT IT!

Unconstitutional. Case closed.
edit on 2-6-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

The school accepts federal money...Secular money = Secular education. Wanna pray? Pray to ALL the different Gods worshiped so you don't leave anyone out, or DON'T PRAY AT ALL IN SCHOOL. Prayer belongs in church, in private or at home. Keep it to yourself and quit trying to shove Jesus down my throat.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Well, it's about time for humanity to grow up a bit.
Religion is a wall between god and human being.
This wall needs to come down.
Let's abolish this spiritual slavery.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

What happen to Separation of Church vs State?

This is separation of church and state. The school is government property.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by drwizardphd

Do we really need prayer in school?

Let's keep prayer in church. The fact is when you say a Christian prayer in a public setting, you're basically excluding anyone who isn't Christian. It's simply not appropriate in an educational setting.

So when you are eating a hamburger in public, that is basically excluding me. I sit there and starve and watch sad.

We should ban you from eating a burger in public. It's not fair to the rest of us.

See why totalitarianism and authoritarianism sucks now? It can be easily twisted using the same logic.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
yeah and those muslim footbaths exclude anyone who is not muslim

prayers are evil christians are evil

people do their damnest to kill god to become gods and masters of us all.

freedom of religion is freedom of religion doesnt matter where it is home or public.

if they feel moved to say something then its their right no matter what rights you think they have.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

The Judge won this award: Outstanding Young Democrat of Bexar County, 1978 and was appointed by Bill Clinton; no wonder his stupid ruling.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

What happen to Separation of Church vs State?

This is separation of church and state. The school is government property.

The State is not allowed to take a stand.

By prohibiting the free speech of citizens based on Religious Views is prohibition. They are not granted this legal authority from the foundation documents. The documents say that prohibition of religious speech should be avoided.

The State must stay out of the debate 100% and take neither side.

The Freedom of Speech exists on all US Territory, it doesn't end at "govt property". Absurd.

What part of "They shouldn't get involved or take sides" do you not understand???

By the State siding with Atheists they are still siding with one of the conflicting religions. By prohibiting the speech of one religion (Christians), they are promoting the views of the non-prohibited religion (atheism).

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
Are there any other articles pertaining as to exactly what went on with this case? Because if it is prohibiting an individual from praying then I'm 100% against such an action, however if it is preventing the graduation ceremony for including a prayer ceremony or religious overtones then I am not as opposed to the decision.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

So when you are eating a hamburger in public, that is basically excluding me. I sit there and starve and watch sad.

We should ban you from eating a burger in public. It's not fair to the rest of us.

That's a really silly comparison and you know it.

The school is a public institution. High school students from other denominations should be able to attend their graduation ceremony without being bombarded with religious speech they may or may not take offense to.

Will everyone really go to Hell if we have a secular education system? Something tells me the opponents of this would feel differently if this was a ban on "Islamic Prayer".

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I don't really view this as unconstitutional really. If this was done on public property then really the judge ruling is right on this one. If this pertained to just that one individual and not for everyone else well, then yes something is wrong.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:22 PM
link   
You have the freedom to grow the hell up and ignore the religious idiots!

You do NOT HAVE the right to CENSOR anyone.

How is this so difficult to understand? Why does everyone think they have to tell others what to do and try to pass new laws banning others from being who they are or admitting it in public??

Telling other people what to do is one thing. But passing the laws and using cops with guns to enforce mere opinions....what the hell? It's a travesty of stupidity.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Censorship is perfectly rational in certain situations. A public school is one of them.

Would you disagree so vehemently if the school said that nobody could use swear words during the commencement ceremony? What about a ban on nudity? Hate speech?

The principle is exactly the same. If speech is offensive, it has no place in a public school. Believe it or not, many people find prayer offensive. The only way to be fair is to cover all religions, or pray to none.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

That's a really silly comparison and you know it.

The school is a public institution. High school students from other denominations should be able to attend their graduation ceremony without being bombarded with religious speech they may or may not take offense to.

Will everyone really go to Hell if we have a secular education system? Something tells me the opponents of this would feel differently if this was a ban on "Islamic Prayer".

I have posted links to the legal document (Constitution of United States) which explains the law. The law is that the government is not allowed to promote/prohibit/abridge/etc religious speech (on public land/property).

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:32 PM
link   
The wording of the ruling is stupid (will cause irreparable harm to so and so) but the principle is not per se. Personally I believe "moment of silence" covers everyone including those who don't practice a religion or believe in a god. Showing favor to one religion over all others in a public setting that is bound to have at least one that is different from all the others, is not ok. There is more than christianity being practiced in America and it's time for everyone to realize and respect that.

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   

Censorship is perfectly rational in certain situations. A public school is one of them.

Would you disagree so vehemently if the school said that nobody could use swear words during the commencement ceremony? What about a ban on nudity? Hate speech?

The principle is exactly the same. If speech is offensive, it has no place in a public school. Believe it or not, many people find prayer offensive. The only way to be fair is to cover all religions, or pray to none.

So you admit your ideal institution of academia is based entirely on hiding scary truths and lying or using censorship to cover it up?

Yeah I'm sorry to say but your school sounds like Soviet Russia on Monday. And the rest of the week...

Why does everything have to be banned? What happened to Freedom?

Oh wait a minute, I gotta answer the door someones knocking. Oh hey it's our good buddies Authoritarianism and Totalitarianism here to kick my head in with their steel toed boots. What a relief!

posted on Jun, 2 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   
You know what I find ultra-offensive? You know what does irreparable damage to me and my life?

People prohibiting religious free speech in my nation.

Where is my Judge who will dictate and legislate from the bench for me?

Oh that's right. I don't need one. I have the Constitution already!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join